Lifeboat drill...a little tip.

On our last cruise and several others the lifeboat drill was SOOOOOO loud I had to plug my ears with my fingers!! Not to mention the horn blowing the warning!!! Next time we are taking ear plugs. RCCL must think we are hard of hearing!!! Probably will be after all that loud noise!!!

Earplugs!!! Don't leave home without them!!!:eek:

On our last cruise and several others the lifeboat drill was SOOOOOO loud I had to plug my ears with my fingers!! Not to mention the horn blowing the warning!!! Next time we are taking ear plugs. RCCL must think we are hard of hearing!!! Probably will be after all that loud noise!!!

You might feel different if hearing the horn blowing saved your life!:eek:

Been in locations for muster where the speakers were near, and it can definitely be over the top loud in those locations than others. Loud noises are hard for me, so I totally understand your sentiment. Thanks for the reminder!

Another first world problem. The sound has to be able to be heard everywhere, and wake you if you are sleeping. If you stand nearr a speaker, it will be loud, it's supposed to be. The sound level (pressure) diminishes by the square of the distance, so don't stand in front of a speaker if you can avoid it or block your ears as you did for that brief time.

I often test fire alarms in schools and buildings as part of my job and yes people complain its loud. I think it can be potentially a life safety problem to sleep with ear plugs on a ship although the fire alarm strobe intensity is supposed to be able to wake you if you are sleeping.

Yes, some people are hard of hearing, I am.

Edited by cruzincurt

And then there are people like me who have hearing problems. I wear hearing aids and take them off at night to sleep, hope they keep it loud so I can hopefully hear it!

I do the same. On the Norway, the emergency signal woke us up from sleeping to go to muster stations.

Another tip! If you have trouble walking down stairs, like I do, check where your muster station is, and leave a little early before the horn goes off so you can take the elevator down.

Kathie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

By design, alarms, horns, and sirens are meant to be loud. If the ship reduces the volume or changes the tone of the sound produced, it would no longer be a true drill and would be a SOLAS violation. On my very first cruise; I made the mistake of standing beside the speaker at my muster station. When the alarm sounded I almost pee'd on myself. I had no idea it would be so loud. Now I just wait near my muster station and join the crowd after a few lines have formed or better yet, try to book a room with an interior muster station.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

On the independence this summer, the intercom was so loud I decided to put my headphones back on. The crew member yelled at me that I could not wear them, and I showed him that the jack wasn't connected to anything. He got angry and told me to take them off, which I promptly did.

Once he walked off, I just plugged my ears with my fingers. Just as effective...

I agree with your recommendation but wonder if ear plugs will be acceptable?

By design, alarms, horns, and sirens are meant to be loud. If the ship reduces the volume or changes the tone of the sound produced, it would no longer be a true drill and would be a SOLAS violation. On my very first cruise; I made the mistake of standing beside the speaker at my muster station. When the alarm sounded I almost pee'd on myself. I had no idea it would be so loud. Now I just wait near my muster station and join the crowd after a few lines have formed or better yet, try to book a room with an interior muster station.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

You should try standing on the top deck (running track) on the front of the ship as it pulls out of port..... The horn sounds a warning to other ships and if you are not expecting it, you will jump....

Oh, I certainly concur that during an emergency the volume is necessary and would be appreciated. I'm not suggesting that they turn it down. All I'm saying is that on the muster drill I will use small foam earplugs to protect my ears and make the experience more tolerable!!!:) I will still be more than able to hear everything!!

And by the way, I LOVE the sound of the ships horn!!! I always try to capture it in a video to let my Grandson hear it!!! But on our last cruise, even the voice over the loud speakers was over the top LOUD!!!! I wasn't the only one with their fingers in their ears!!!

You should try standing on the top deck (running track) on the front of the ship as it pulls out of port..... The horn sounds a warning to other ships and if you are not expecting it, you will jump....

That is why I watch all sail-a-ways from that location. I love getting the full effect of the horn!:):):)