Summit suggestions

sunfish8

Hello everyone: My husband and I are travelling on summit out of San Juan on Saturday. For those who have been on summit I would appreciate any tips/ suggestions.

We have travelled to Disney many times and find insiders can tell you amazing tips you would never have thought of.

Even suggestions for the ports would be appreciated. We have only been on one other celebrity ship the reflection.

We do plan on upgrading out classic to premium, have for sure plans for Dominica and st kitts.

Thank you:)

Roberta

Hello everyone: My husband and I are travelling on summit out of San Juan on Saturday. For those who have been on summit I would appreciate any tips/ suggestions.

We have travelled to Disney many times and find insiders can tell you amazing tips you would never have thought of.

Even suggestions for the ports would be appreciated. We have only been on one other celebrity ship the reflection.

We do plan on upgrading out classic to premium, have for sure plans for Dominica and st kitts.

Thank you:)

Roberta

Just a suggestion.....I have youtube videos from our Summit trips. You might enjoy watching them. Lots of shots of the ship and the ports.

2014:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUsFH-wSCDI

2013:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYVC4NTwlr8

Edited by jimandtoni

I am sailing with you Sunfish...did you make it to roll call? It's my first time on the Summit too. I googled it and got tons of pics and videos.

I have been to Dominica and it's a wonderful island to tour. Quite a few on the roll call have private tours, some with Levi Barton.

was just on the Summit (the other itinerary in early Nov)! LOVED IT! It was only my second cruise, so no real ‘cruise tips’ but here are some of the things I loved and found useful to share:

Library – I am an avid reader and often need to find a quiet place to read. The library is mid-ship, levels 8 & 9 – and on level 9 there are no books, but comfy chairs. Most times it was empty. They do hold the Friends of Bill W meetings here everyday at 5pm.

Theater – it was never completely full, so you could always get a seat (unlike Princess where it was over packed every show)… but if you show up a little early, the servers will get you a drink to enjoy at during the show.

Free Cruise raffle – if you play Bingo the largest package ($69) came with raffle tickets. What they didn’t tell you was that on the last night of the cruise those tickets could be entered to win a free cruise. I found out about that by watching the Cruise Directors channel on the tv.

Café – has free muffins in the am; free cakes and cookies after 11am. This was good to grab a muffin and coffee in the morning before my excursions.

Buffet – no problem finding seating, but make sure to walk around the entire thing. There is a pizza area, salad bar, sandwich station, etc – they are not repeated on both sides. Service for drinks (other than lemonade and water stations) was slow. If you have a drink package there is a drink bar area where you can get soda, water, etc by one of the main entrances.

Do not book the cruise ships transfers at end of the cruise, or don't think you have to -- the taxi line went faster! And when you get to the airport, be sure to send your bags through the Ag screening before getting into the airport check in lines. If you don't they will send you back to do it, so you will ahve wasted your time.

I had a really good time and I am sure you will too. The staff was wonderful. The entertainment was fun.

St Croix - first day out was just a relaxing day. Walked off the ship and to the left to the beach. Rented beach chairs and an umbrella = 4 chairs and 2 umbrellas for $26. Easy walk and my family could walk back and forth to the ship for lunch. Talked with some of the ex-pat locals. Hint to buy rum in Dominica instead of St Croix because the Dominica rum is made according to old recipes and uses sugar cane.

St Kitts - the only island I virtually stayed on the ship for. I have no idea why, it just didn't excite me.

Dominica - caught a taxi from town and went snorkeling at Champagne Beach. Taxi was $60 USD for 3 people round trip. This was not a van because I didn't want to go with a group of people and then have to follow everyone else's schedule. So, I walked around town for a few minutes - be prepared it is not that nice and found my own taxi. Spent several hours at Champagne. Beach is VERY rocky and water shoes are recommended. Be careful of stepping on sea urchins. Bought our rum in town across the street and to the left of the pier.

Grenada - went to Grand Anse beach for the day. Took the water taxi (to the left of the exit) for $6/person round trip. Dropped us off at the beach. We walked left and got chairs because we had our sons and grand daughter with us. If you want less people and no services walk right and keep going past the umbrellas. Beautiful down there. After the beach we wanted to get some of the island spices. Walked to Dots - small store by the waterfront and bought a ton. Be careful if walking to Dots because the directions take you thought a tunnel that we thought was pedestrian until cars started coming at us while we were walking through. :eek: To get to Dots walk through the mall attached to the pier and head out the front doors. Turn right and keep walking past the stores. Ahead you will see steep stairs across the street and a tunnel below. Do not climb the stairs but go through the tunnel and continue walking. Make a right to walk down to the waterfront and a left. Dots will be on your left. Ask if you can't find it....people were happy to help. I wish I had bought more there. Very reasonable and great stuff.

St Thomas - we have been here a few times and take the self explore trip to St John. Catamaran will leave you off in Cruz Bay and take the island taxi to the beach you want to visit. Be back at the cat around 2:45 to head back. My favorite trip.

We had a FV cabin off the aft on the side. Huge room and balcony with a table that sat 6 and two loungers. One of my sons had the larger OV at the front of the ship that was larger than a traditional OV. My other son had a cabin in the conference area that was made into rooms during the last dry dock. Large window but small room. Their room attendants made the trip for them. Our room attendant was non-existent.

We had the earlier seating for dinner this time and Peggie/Ricardo were excellent servers. I did not like the earlier seating however. We always felt rushed getting ready after the sail away.

Sunset Bar is a great place to gather in the evening for drinks. We had the classic drink package and it's just fine. We have had the premium in the past and just wasn't cost effective for us.

Boarding - very easy both time we've departed from San Juan. No lines even though we showed up at noon to embark. Luggage followed shortly after. Disembarking at the end is not fun as they make you wait in a designated area for quite awhile before they call your number. Long line at customs and immigration. At the airport make sure you put your bags through agriculture if you are returning to the U.S.

When eating at the Oceanview Cafe there are more comfortable seats at the aft of the Cafe than the middle or the front. No idea why those are upgraded but we ate there for lunch. Most breakfasts were done in the room through room service.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Does the library have games to check out? Where is the best spot to play a game of cards or whatever for a foursome traveling together?

Hello Pizza, our family likes to play games on the cruises as well. The Library Does NOT have any games to check out, and the Ship does not have an official “Card room". However, Games (Scrabble, chess and checkers only) and decks of cards (you can keep) are available at the main desk in the atrium and there are dozens of quiet places around the ship you can have at it. We simply sat on the comfy chairs in the Ocean View near the pizza station, and had access to beverages and snacks as we played. Another great area was the solarium tables, the pool was adults only, but kids are allowed otherwise and they have a beverage station and small buffet line offering “healthier” fare. Enjoy.

Hello Pizza, our family likes to play games on the cruises as well. The Library Does NOT have any games to check out, and the Ship does not have an official “Card room". However, Games (Scrabble, chess and checkers only) and decks of cards (you can keep) are available at the main desk in the atrium and there are dozens of quiet places around the ship you can have at it. We simply sat on the comfy chairs in the Ocean View near the pizza station, and had access to beverages and snacks as we played. Another great area was the solarium tables, the pool was adults only, but kids are allowed otherwise and they have a beverage station and small buffet line offering “healthier” fare. Enjoy.

I was under the impression that the Solarium was adults only - not just the pool in the Solarium.

I tried to find that information on the Celebrity website, but of course I could not find anything relating to that.

I am hoping that the Solarium (the pool as well as the rest of the Solarium) is truly adults only. It appears to be a wonderful place to relax.

I was under the impression that the Solarium was adults only - not just the pool in the Solarium.

I tried to find that information on the Celebrity website, but of course I could not find anything relating to that.

I am hoping that the Solarium (the pool as well as the rest of the Solarium) is truly adults only. It appears to be a wonderful place to relax.

Dina, Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the solarium is the ONLY means of travel (kids included) from the fore elevators to the main pool and buffet on Deck 10 of Summit. The Spa completely encompasses the Front elevators, so traffic from front to back is not heavy, but it is steady, and does include kids coming from the fun factory on deck 11 forward. In addition, the Solarium has a small food and beverage area that kids are welcome at, and where they have Tea time at 400 pm. Still, the soothing thalassotherapy pool IS adults only (16 years old and up) and is so marked and signage is present. Staff was good about enforcing this rule too, and the pool (basically a hot tub the size of a small pool with areas of super soothing jets) has an inner ring circling it with comfortable lounge chairs under a warm glass atrium. My wife would often relax here on our trip last week, and she also studied for a course she is taking. Enjoy, but make sure you get the scones with cream and jam at 4pm, they are a highlight.

Dina, Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the solarium is the ONLY means of travel (kids included) from the fore elevators to the main pool and buffet on Deck 10 of Summit. The Spa completely encompasses the Front elevators, so traffic from front to back is not heavy, but it is steady, and does include kids coming from the fun factory on deck 11 forward. In addition, the Solarium has a small food and beverage area that kids are welcome at, and where they have Tea time at 400 pm. Still, the soothing thalassotherapy pool IS adults only (16 years old and up) and is so marked and signage is present. Staff was good about enforcing this rule too, and the pool (basically a hot tub the size of a small pool with areas of super soothing jets) has an inner ring circling it with comfortable lounge chairs under a warm glass atrium. My wife would often relax here on our trip last week, and she also studied for a course she is taking. Enjoy, but make sure you get the scones with cream and jam at 4pm, they are a highlight.

Well, when you put it that way, it seems the solarium may be as close to a quiet, relaxing place as one can find on a cruise ship. I don't plan on spending that much time there - just a little time each day to relax and regroup.

And I can't imagine kids would want to spend a lot of time in a place where they can't go into the pool anyway :)

I'll have to remember tea-time - and the scones!

Thank you!