Regal Soot?

gfsf

Has the soot problem on the Regal for the aft facing cabins been resolved? I just received C740 as my assigned cabin for my March voyage, an aft facing cabin. Just wondering if I should request a change in cabins or keep it.

Was on the Regal Nov 16th cruise and our cabin was in the C740 row.

First about the soot there was some. How we noticed it was my wife dropped her white cap on the balcony floor and it had black stains on it when we picked it up. We did not sit out there very much not due to soot but even though we did our home work and were told our balcony

had at least a partial overhang. It did not. In fact the Caribe aft cabins are completely exposed with no shade until late in the day when there's partial shade.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did not sit out there very much not due to soot but even though we did our home work and were told our balcony had at least a partial overhang. It did not. In fact the Caribe aft cabins are completely exposedwith no shade until late in the day when there's partial shade.

I'm not sure if you had seen these annotated pictures of Royal Princess (the aft facing cabins on Regal Princess are in the identical locations) when doing your homework, but it would've been quite obvious that C740 has very little, if any at all, overhang (it's more like a lip) that would've protected you from the sun...

9391397190_06541f215d_b.jpg

9045375437_4a12167b45_b.jpg

I think there is too many variables to make this a "yes" or "no" answer. Soot was basically a non-issue on our Regal sailing, despite being in an aft uncovered balcony on a higher deck (R734). We had a minor amount one morning out of seven. I've also heard from folks that soot happens on port and starboard sides of some ships as well. My thinking is that if you want to completely eliminate the possibility of soot, you need to be forward or midship in a covered balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Its still an issue. There was alot all around the Sun deck aft dipping pool everyday last month. :(

This was our experience, as well.

I think there is too many variables to make this a "yes" or "no" answer. Soot was basically a non-issue on our Regal sailing, despite being in an aft uncovered balcony on a higher deck (R734). We had a minor amount one morning out of seven. I've also heard from folks that soot happens on port and starboard sides of some ships as well. My thinking is that if you want to completely eliminate the possibility of soot, you need to be forward or midship in a covered balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

During our cruise in November, I spoke with some people with aft cabins and a few did report what they considered a "significant" soot issue, but one other couple stated that they had not noticed it at all, except for the stains left on the balcony decking. They all noted that their cabin stewards were clearly doing extra cleaning on the balconies every day, also indicating that it is still at least somewhat an issue.

This motivated us to, unfortunately, give up our coveted Baja Deck aft balcony (with a large partially covered balcony) for our sailing next year in favor of a midships balcony on the "bump out".

I do hope they find a way to remedy this problem at some point in the future. It really diminishes what are - in my humble opinion - probably the best regular balcony cabins on the ships.