Melia, Riu or Hilton in Nassau?

Tammytam

I am trying to decide between these resorts and a day pass when our cruise stops here. Please help me! Melia looks like they have the best pool, hilton is right by the port and Riu is by Atlantis. What order would you put them in and why? Also, how far is Melia and Riu from the port? Thanks so much!

We will be in Nassau in January and are trying to decide on a resort for the day. I've been to Atlantis and the British Hilton, but wanted to try the Melia.....until I read about the construction. Rui is out due to it being a public beach - lots of vendors, need I say more?

I'm still leaning toward the Melia even though one or two of the pools may be closed, along with the swim up bar. Yes, there may be jackhammers, but it's a thousand foot beach front and should have a quiet area. Ear buds? Until we cruise, I'll keep an eye on TA reviews for updates.

Darcy

Construction at the Melia has been ongoing, apparently to upgrade the property now that Hyatt is coming on the scene. Atlantis is very $$$, and has too much going on IMO. The Hilton is so-so, close to the ship, but lacks the ambience of the Melia.

We are stopping in Nassau the second week of January, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that construction will not impact our beach day.

Keep tabs on things by reading updated travel reviews on TA and other sites to get an idea of construction status.

Darcy

I am trying to decide between these resorts and a day pass when our cruise stops here. Please help me! Melia looks like they have the best pool, hilton is right by the port and Riu is by Atlantis. What order would you put them in and why? Also, how far is Melia and Riu from the port? Thanks so much!

If you are going just for the pools, you will probably be alright. The construction is right behind the pool area and has a huge plywood wall around it. You have to walk down to the very end (it extends across the entire property) to even get out to the beach area.

We stayed at the RIU for 5 days a few years back. Can't speak to any recent changes, but I do recall the pool being relatively small. It did have a nice swim up bar. It was just steps to the beach and while the beach was wide longways, it was narrow. It was very close walking distance to the Atlantis. I remember hearing that this particular RIU was another hotel chain prior to becoming a RIU. It wasn't built from the ground up like other RIU hotels. Therefore, we didn't find it comparable to other RIU's we have stayed at.

• 1 year later...

This thread is very outdated, but rather than start a new thread for precisely the exact information wanted, but updated, I'll just bump this one. We're a group of 7 adults and 4 kids going to be docked from 12-8 at Nassau in October 2016.

RIU-most expensive but free unlimited drinks. most beautiful beach, but also possibly the most dangerous if it isn't a calm day. boring plain pool if the beach is too rough

Melia-good deal price wise with lunch but no unlimited drinks. beach appears to be just so-so with all the seaweed and 'dark' underwaters seen on googlemaps. spectacular pools if the water is yukky

British Hilton- we have many kids traveling, not sure if this would be appropriate. no cab or bus required. smallish beach. fair price but then I've seen so many say they spent extra just for a little bit of food and drinks

Questions:

Is it absolutely not possible to get to Paradise beach on the western side of Atlantis?

Are there absolutely no public-free beaches with restroom facilities?

Just how often is the beach at RIU considered dangerous?

Thanks in Advance to anyone who can help me decide!