Passport Expiration time limit!

FTPCruiser

That is incorrect, there is no exception for cruises. However, Mexican authorities will not ask to see your passport when you get off a cruise ship. But, the requirement does exist by Mexican law.

If there were no exceptions allowed under Mexican law than cruise lines could not board passengers without passports. The cruise lines are responsible for ensuring that passengers have all required documentation for returning to the US and for visiting each country on the itinerary.

That is incorrect, there is no exception for cruises. However, Mexican authorities will not ask to see your passport when you get off a cruise ship. But, the requirement does exist by Mexican law.

My TA looked into this for me and informed me that there was no requirement for the passport to be good for six months in Mexico. My TA knows what she is doing and I'll take her word over yours. That cruise was in 2012.

Edited by Cuizer2

We have passports for our cruise in February to Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. My kids passports are expiring in April. Will these serve as proof for them or should I also bring their birth certificates? They are not drivers yet.

The passports are all that you need.

Holland America - Voyage of the Vikings

You can also technically book BTB crossings on the QM2.

Not relevant for this discussion, but P&O offers 2 cruises to the Americas that are R/T from Southampton:

USA and Canada

Caribbean and USA

By DHS definition a closed loop cruise must originate and terminate in a US port and sail entirely within the Western Hemisphere. Booking a non-closed loop cruise BTB does not make it a closed loop cruise unless it is actually sold that way by the cruise line.

I may have the same problem have just booked a last minute cruise round the med with NCL but my son's passport expires 2 months after our return. Not sure how strict they are with this policy? We leave on Saturday so no time to renew it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If any of the countries that you are visiting require cruise ship passengers to have 6 months remaining on their passport then indeed this will be a problem. If you live near a US passport office you might be able to get expediated service since you travel so soon.

By DHS definition a closed loop cruise must originate and terminate in a US port and sail entirely within the Western Hemisphere.

Yes, that is the definition of a closed loop cruise for which you are not required to have a passport. However, as the general, English-language definition of a closed loop cruise is one that starts and ends in the same port, it's always important to specify when asking a question about the closed loop exemption.

Booking a non-closed loop cruise BTB does not make it a closed loop cruise unless it is actually sold that way by the cruise line.

This is an interesting question. For the purposes of the PVSA, it doesn't matter what the marketing, it's the total itinerary that matters - so yes, 2 one-way cruises booked back-to-back would be considered a closed loop cruise if you disembarked in the same city as you embarked. However, I don't know what the DHS would determine in the same circumstance.

I may have the same problem have just booked a last minute cruise round the med with NCL but my son's passport expires 2 months after our return. Not sure how strict they are with this policy? We leave on Saturday so no time to renew it!

Well, I wouldn't worry about the cruise line, 'cause if you're flying to Europe from North America, that's where you'll run into an issue. If you're leaving in a week, you may have time to get an expedited passport if you can get to an office in person and beg.

Thanks for the replies I have just done a bit of research and it looks like his passport will be fine. It's a British passport traveling within the EU except Turkey and the Turkish government web site states that no visa is required for cruise ship passengers

Thanks for the replies I have just done a bit of research and it looks like his passport will be fine. It's a British passport traveling within the EU except Turkey and the Turkish government web site states that no visa is required for cruise ship passengers

I am from Turkey.

Yes Turkey doesn't require visa from cruise ship passengers and on those occasions where a Visa is required for a long term ( longer than 8 hr cruise stop at a port) type of entry to Turkey at a port or at an airport it is a "give me your passport and a $10 or $20 bill (depending on your citizenship type) and heres your Visa stamp"

It is a 2 minute process at any entry point for a U.S. or E.U. passport carrying passenger.

And yes, Turkish officials don't care how long after your trip your passport will be expiring.