Gay/Lesbian crowd on Princess

RyanMFitz1

Hello fellow travelers !!!

I am going on my first Princess cruise Feb 22 on the Regal Princess and curious to know what to expect with regards to possible " family " on board. I have been on carnival cruises prior and always was a nice turnout for the LGBT meetings they had.

Safe travels !

It depends on the ship and itinerary. We had some good groups on the Ruby Princess last year. Not as many showed up on the Caribbean Princess when we were on in August. We're taking two short cruises back to back later this month. We might not have time to go to the meetings.

I've been on two Princess Cruises. On both, we had an organized (and Patter advertised) LGBT mixer on the first full cruise night. Unfortunately, that was the only organized meeting for either of those trips.:( We did occasionally bump into our new "family" friends around the ship (ie, at the gym, pool, buffet, etc), but that was about it.

My suggestion - during your first official meeting, try to set a time/place where you'd like to meet on other days (ie, happy hour, or post dinner drinks).

-----

Conversely, on my 4 day Carnival cruise, an LGBT mixer was listed ever day, but I never saw any attendees during the appointed time.

I've been on two Princess Cruises. On both, we had an organized (and Patter advertised) LGBT mixer on the first full cruise night. Unfortunately, that was the only organized meeting for either of those trips.:(
You can always ask the cruise director to schedule daily LGBT meet-ups, or reinstate them if they disappear from the program. I really don't see any legitimate reason for them to refuse. It is a tiny bit of work for them to pick a time and location and get it printed in the daily program, but apart from that it doesn't cost them anything, does it?

If the CD refused, I would really insist on knowing the reason. And I would post about it here.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

On my 13 Princess cruises (so far) as far as I can recall there have always been daily or near-daily meetings, always listed in the Patter, on some cruises well-attended, on others not. On a couple, like the last one, a staffer showed up to host the first meet and on one, she even provided champagne (!) One irritating thing that some CDs have done is schedule meetings in crowded bar spaces at happy hour (rather than a lounge-type space where we could find each other and sit around and relate). I've always found Princess to be very gay friendly, but clearly the LGBT meetings are, for Princess, at least as much about producing bar revenue as facilitating queer community.

Edited by shepp

We have been on 9 Princess cruises so far and have 2 scheduled for 2015. On all of them there has been a daily glbt gathering. Typically only the first one is hosted by a member of the CD staff and the others are up to us to find each other. Some cruises there's a big turn out and some small. But I have met some great guys and still keep in touch with some of them.

Hopefully my next cruise in March will have a good turnout as my partner won't be traveling with me as he has to work.

• 9 months later...

Well thank you all for answering this question for me... I was hoping Princess offered daily meetings, and I'm glad to see they do.

Now if you could all kindly book the Feb 9th Mexico sailing on the Crown Princess I'll be happy to know we won't be the only couple at the meeting haha

• 2 weeks later...

I just stumbled upon this thread...and saw that the awesome Shepp posted. We met at a LGBT event on board a Princess cruise to Alaska - I hope to run into you again!

Well... there will be at least two gay couples on the Grand Princess cruise from SF to Mexico departing December 20th. We are considering scheduling a pre-sail get together on December 5th in SF.

I posted on the GL Roll Call and have gotten quite a few "views" but no replies. The main Roll Call is quite active and it looks like we are getting a pretty vivacious group of folks on this cruise!

Bill