Nassau: Watch out for the hair braiding ladies

SurfCat

they are crooks.

Make sure that you agree to a price before they start. My daughter wanted her hair braided and my DW was bound and determined to ensure that it happened.

The lady sat her down in the chair and I kept asking what it was going to cost and she would only reply, not much don't worry I'll take care of you. I continued to ask, and my DW said don't worry, that's what the child wants I'll get it.

$170 later, my DW learned a valuable lesson.

A friend of mine ran into a problem with the price in Ocho Rios, Jamaica years ago. She was quoted (she thought) $1 per braid, but when it was done she was informed "Oh, no, it's $1 per bead. They literally would not let her leave the shop until she paid them, and said it was quite frightening. As the OP said, make sure you get the price nailed down in advance.

Why wait til you go on vacation to get your hair braided? There are plenty young girls in the states who will do it. But hair braiding can be expensive even here at home. Every time I go on a cruise I get my hair done by the professionals before I leave home and the starting price is about $150.00.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Funny story. We were in Nassau and DW and I were walking by the hair braid ladies outside the port building. My wife was walking next to another woman with long hair. One of hair braid ladies shouted out, "wantya hair braided?" The woman next to us with long hair just ignored here because she probably had heard it a hundred times, but my wife yelled sure!

At the time my wife was completely bald because she had completed Chemo and got the OK from her Dr. to go on vacation.

We and bunch of other people walked back to the ship laughing. The expression on the hair braid ladies faces was priceless.