Diamond Princess in Aus/NZ

We are booked on Diamond this January, does anyone know if the changes made for the Japan market are still being done whilst in the Aus/NZ voyages? Things like Japanese baths being only nude, and all announcements being bilingual? Have read a lot of reviews and am getting a bit worried it has changed too much since our last trip in 2012.

I did the repositioning cruise from Singapore. The announcements were in English only. The Japanese Baths were still nude but on the 4 days I went I only saw one or two other women. I loved the baths and the steam room especially. The outside pool/jacuzzi was great (swimmers are worn) !

But I was alone so not sure if I could do it with a friend ☺️ But I'd do them again.

It was my first time on her so can't comment on any changes from before.

Thank you for your reply, very much appreciated.

I am sure the Japanese baths are lovely, however I am not comfortable with the no swim suits thing on a cruise around NZ and Aus. I guess if I were in Japan it would be different. It looks lovely and am guessing if they made it for use in swimsuits it would get used more.

We were on the last Australian trip on Sun Princess whilst it was turning Japanese in Feb this year. The changes were very obvious and staff were being removed if they did not speak Japanese.

I am on Diamond at the moment. All announcements are in English. the Japanese baths have both nude and bathing suit times. The menu started with the always available side Japanese food but has now changed back to what we Aussies are used to. The cruise director Dan is really good. We are having a great time and would recommend the ship.

I am on Diamond at the moment. All announcements are in English. the Japanese baths have both nude and bathing suit times. The menu started with the always available side Japanese food but has now changed back to what we Aussies are used to. The cruise director Dan is really good. We are having a great time and would recommend the ship.

There was NEVER any changes to the menu on the Diamond Princess ever. I was on that ship in Japan and can assure you that the menu was still 100% the Princess menu. There was never any changes for the Japanese market. The reason I know this is because I can read Japanese.

On the menu under always available they put Romanised Japanese words like Tori-niku, Buta-niku, Gyuu-niku etc. To the people that cant speak the language these may look like different styles but when you translate it the meaning becomes clear.

Tori-Niku spelled 鶏肉 with two Chinese symbols literally translates to "bird" "meat" which is what the Japanese call "chicken"

Buta-niku 豚肉 again with two Chinese symbols literally translates to "pig" "meat" with the word "buta" meaning "pig" and by now it should be obvious what "niku" means.

Gyuu-niku 牛肉 again two Chinese symbols meaning beef. Literally translates to "cow" "meat"

The interesting thing about their language is that the word for cow 牛 is Ushi. The proceeding symbol on its own is pronounced "ushi", however when the symbol is combined with another symbol the phonetic sound changes and it becomes "gyuu"

It is the same with all Chinese borrowed Japanese characters.

This symbol here can have many meanings despite the fact it is the same symbol. 空 Depending on the context it can be pronounced "kuu", "sora" or "kara"

空港 - In this sequence it is airport - Kuukou

空 - Alone it can mean sky - sora

空 Alone it can mean empty - kara

I thoroughly examined that menu on the Diamond Princess and it was exactly the same as it always has been, just translated into Japanese and made to look more fancy for us by Romanising Japanese words.

Thank you for the up to date update!

That sounds far more sensible having both options available.

Dan sounds a familiar name, where is he from?

Amanda

The cruise director is Dan Appleby He is really good There are three shows at night in the Princess theatre one at 6.45, 8 and 10 so there is always plenty of room. Dan is English and sounds and acts a lot like Eric Morecom

Cheers Janet

4 weeks ago it was $20 for 90 mins. Or you could pay for 4 and get the 5th free. Totally worth it, if I get to go on the Diamond again I will visit the baths again for sure :)

Thanks.

I just could not imagine most Aussies wanting to use them.

I use it every night and morning in my Kyoto hotel in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Still on Diamond. I don't think people were using the baths as they now have them specialed at $10. The ship is great. Loved every minute of our cruise. We get off in Brisbane on Friday.

We are on the same cruise and bongaree is 100% correct, there was a flyer with heavily reduced prices in the Japanese bath, also the menu in the international dinning room did change back from a Japanese type/style on one page to the traditional always available which includes Cesar salad, two or three steaks chicken, salmon and Parmesan basket. There is also a daily chefs special.

Our wait staff have been fantastic and have accommodated our every request.

Don't worry about announcements they are all done in English.

I have noticed a huge improvement in the horizon court, the new layout is very good, and the staff are ever so helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you both so much.

You have calmed my concerns

Caesar Salad and pasta in Parmesan basket are my go to meals if there is no other vegetarian dish I like, was worried it would be replaced. Plus I am allergic to seaweed so a lot of Japanese food is out for me.

After 6 cruises - I dreaded the thought of sitting through the safety message not once but twice;).

Interesting they have cut the cost of the Japanese baths, I guess communal bathing was always going to be a hard sell to the age groups that cruise from NZ and Aus. Would be keen to test it out if bathing suits were allowed.

Is the Sanctuary open this cruise?, last on Sun Princess, it was closed for no apparent reason, patronage I guessed.

Enjoy your last days of relaxation.

Amanda

Hi Still on Diamond. I don't think people were using the baths as they now have them specialed at $10. The ship is great. Loved every minute of our cruise. We get off in Brisbane on Friday.

And we board on Friday, I wonder if we have your cabin:)

If its only $10, its a bargain.

Tanya

Thank you both so much.

Interesting they have cut the cost of the Japanese baths, I guess communal bathing was always going to be a hard sell to the age groups that cruise from NZ and Aus. Would be keen to test it out if bathing suits were allowed.

Amanda

Amanda, I was a bit hesitant about the nude bathing, but after talking to other cruisers on our Oct cruise, decided to give it a go. I spent 45mins in the ladies section, while hubby was in the mens section. We then met at the outside jaquzzi (where you wear swimmers) for another 45 mins. It was great and highly recommend it.

Cheers

Tanya

So I think from reading this and other threads, that the All inclusive alcohol package is not being offered on the Diamond whilst in Australian waters (Australian start and end port).

Is anyone able to confirm if the happy hour 2 for 1 drinks are currently being offered on the Diamond, as they are on other non-Australian Princess Cruises?

Can we get a win somewhere???