Environmental Concerns/Guilt

stevefrisco

Does anyone ever feel guilty for cruising (or travel in general) due to the negative impact in the environment? How do you justify your actions? I love cruising and appreciate the efforts companies have made to make the activity more Eco-friendly. However inherently, it is wasteful to overeat, travel by boat, plane and car, enjoy luxuries and other things implicit to travel and cruise travel.

I've personally resigned myself to just feeling guilty but doing it anyways like I have with meat consumption. Maybe someone else can give me another perspective.

Same with meat, I just consider it one of the perks being top of the food chain... lol

But seriously, its all in moderation. I don't let myself feel guilty if I eat an occasional hamburger or some cheesecake, because the rest of the time I watch what I eat. Same here. If I splurge once/twice a year I'm okay because I try during rest of year.

I worked hard for over 40 years. My wife did the same. We are now both retired and any excesses that we enjoy we have earned. In all likelihood we have 20 good years left in our life so I say screw it I am going to belly up for all I can get.

I worked hard for over 40 years. My wife did the same. We are now both retired and any excesses that we enjoy we have earned. In all likelihood we have 20 good years left in our life so I say screw it I am going to belly up for all I can get.

Thank you for your service to our economy. Does that service mean that in your mind as long as you can afford something it is ethical to do it?

Also, I think they have come a long way but cruising is inherently bad for the environment like most pleasures.

Thank you for your service to our economy. Does that service mean that in your mind as long as you can afford something it is ethical to do it?

Absolutely not. I can afford to overdose on drugs but I certainly wouldn't even consider it.

I am one of those guys who picks up stray trash off the beach at HMC. I just make a conscious effort to be realistic in my decisions when it comes to any type of consumption......fortunately my doctor knows me well enough to know how I tick. He knows I am never going to go to a gym or stop drinking. He knows I enjoy chicken wings and red meat.

He works with what he has. If I can live the way I live and take ten years off my life I consider that a fair trade.

It is like most things in life, if you don't like it or feel guilty, don't do it! I can assure you it is no worse than most corporations around the world, and much, much better than a lot of them. Who sits around and worries about this kind of stuff anyway? Take a behind the fun tour and see to what lengths they go to to recycle and save fuel....maybe that will help...doubtful though, some people have too much time on their hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well - we could kill the cruising industry to satisfy some (misplaced in my opinion) guilt and thousands upon thousands of third world country employees that support families and economies beyond the United States would be without a massive infusion of money.

Without being overly political, sometimes the bleeding heart forgets that the big bad companies pay salaries to the common everyman so that he can eat, provide for a family and have the money flow throughout an economy. So without that big bad corporate entity, many more poor would exist and we'd have even bigger problems.

Stepping off soapbox - nope - no guilt! If I was able to cruise only because I happened to choose the right numbers in a lottery, I might have some guilt. But when I work my butt off to earn the cash...nope - not really.

Edited by euphscott

Why would I feel guilt? Guilt is an emotion you feel when you do something wrong.

Oh I forget, these days you're supposed to feel guilt even for perceived wrongs, right or wrong, sorry for the pun.

Edited by mpace58

Why would I feel quilt? Quilt is an emotion you feel when you do something wrong.

Oh I forget, these days you're supposed to feel quilt even for perceived wrongs, right or wrong, sorry for the pun.

I don't understand. If someone does "something wrong," why would they feel as if they were a blanket?

Well - we could kill the cruising industry to satisfy some (misplaced in my opinion) guilt and thousands upon thousands of third world country employees that support families and economies beyond the United States would be without a massive infusion of money.

Without being overly political, sometimes the bleeding heart forgets that the big bad companies pay salaries to the common everyman so that he can eat, provide for a family and have the money flow throughout an economy. So without that big bad corporate entity, many more poor would exist and we'd have even bigger problems.

Stepping off soapbox - nope - no guilt! If I was able to cruise only because I happened to choose the right numbers in a lottery, I might have some guilt. But when I work my butt off to earn the cash...nope - not really.

Bingo, I couldn't have said it better. If someone feels guilt because something they enjoy impacts the environment, well then they had better not move an inch because everything we do impacts our environment. When we throw trash in the garbage we impact the environment. When we flush our toilets we impact the environment. How far should we take it?

The entire cruise industry won't fold because some individuals feel that cruising is a big negative. All we can do is what we do. Try to remain as environmentally conscious as we can as far as recycling, properly disposing of batteries, electronics, etc. Don't pour paint and chemicals down the drain. That sort of thing.

We can't do everything, and we're all entitled to a little enjoyment in life too. I'll continue to cruise, and to try in other ways to leave as good an impact on the earth as I can. That's the best I can do.

If the cruise industry was still throwing their garbage off the stern into the ocean as had been filmed and documented, still using high sulphur fuel with no after scrubbers, and still disposing of untreated waste water directly into the ocean, I probably wouldn't be cruising.

These excesses have been corrected due to exposing these tactics to the general public and shaming the corporations into changing their polluting and wasteful practices.

There can still be improvements in the cruiselines' environmental practices, one wasteful example is the amount of photographic paper that gets developed and goes into the waste baskets. Another is the amount of wasted food that pax order but don't eat.

It ain't a perfect world - we change what we can and accept what we can't change or improve, at least for the moment.

Edited by evandbob

...not really. But, we have discussed the guilt associated with all of the Cantina food we enjoy oh-so-much on cruise ships and the subsequent expulsion of green house gasses that certainly harm the environment. And that whole breathing and CO2 thing is troubling, but not sure what we can do about that. Other than feel guilty.

I suppose all the folks who make their living off the cruise industry would understand if everybody stopped cruising so they could ease their feelings of guilt and go to bed every night bragging about being "green". At least those people living on all those islands could starve in a "green" environment knowing that the sea creatures are safe from pollution. :rolleyes:

Edited by travler27