Best Credit Card for Rewards

CruisinCouple5414

Someone with a bit more expertise regarding airline cards might want to chime in, but there was a piece on the Today show a week or so ago that mentioned that some airlines have and/or will change how they compute reward miles from how many miles flown to how much you paid for the ticket. If you're able to take advantage of the lowest fares, it might be more advantageous to switch cards that offer alternative perks.

I think I seen that piece on GMA , if you seen it on the Today show it must be making the rounds , I remember them saying some airlines will begin by doing points by the cabin you fly in or the class ticket you buy.

Isn't Celebrity cruises doing that now with they cruise points ?

One other thing about this AAA Rewards card besides getting 3X Points on travel, you Earn 2 points per $1 on gas, grocery store and drugstore purchases

Someone with a bit more expertise regarding airline cards might want to chime in, but there was a piece on the Today show a week or so ago that mentioned that some airlines have and/or will change how they compute reward miles from how many miles flown to how much you paid for the ticket. If you're able to take advantage of the lowest fares, it might be more advantageous to switch cards that offer alternative perks.

Of the "Big 3" Delta was the first to do this, United followed and AA finally followed suit. (though, theirs takes effect later this year). You earn 5 miles per dollar spent then as you get elite status you earn more. (7,8,9 or 11 depending on your elite level). Miles used to obtain elite status are sill flight miles with a bonus for different class of service. And if that doesn't confuse some folks enough...they also added a minimum spend limit. ($3000 + 25k miles to hit the lowest elite status for example. Of course the upside is you can, if you buy a bit class ticket get elite status with just one r/t to Asia. Do it in Jan and you lock in status for 2 years.)

I think I seen that piece on GMA , if you seen it on the Today show it must be making the rounds , I remember them saying some airlines will begin by doing points by the cabin you fly in or the class ticket you buy.

Isn't Celebrity cruises doing that now with they cruise points ?

One other thing about this AAA Rewards card besides getting 3X Points on travel, you Earn 2 points per $1 on gas, grocery store and drugstore purchases

If I read that little piece correct, the 3x points is only if you book those things through AAA, not if you do it yourself.

Yep, airlines have changed the way you get your points. Different class of service gets you different mileage points. At least, that is the way Delta is doing it. Example: I did flights in April to/from SJU via ATL and JFK. The "MQM mileage" (aka the actual mileage that credit toward Medallion status) was 6,722 miles. The "Base Miles" were 2,480. The Base Miles were what are added to my SkyMiles account. The Base Miles were based on the fare class I bought (the cheapest available for this trip). FTalker will correct me if I am wrong. If I wanted to get mileage credit closer to what I actually flew, I would have had to buy "bonus" miles to add to the trip count - I'm sure it could vary how much for what trip. A current trip I booked this week, I could buy 1000 miles for $29, $.34.5/mile. I'm pretty sure this is not a good deal, but a "bone" tossed to us to say "well, you bought the el cheapo ticket - if you want miles, you're going to have to pay for them." My entire round trip this time is 516 miles, so not much in the scheme of things even at full mileage pricing.

If I read that little piece correct, the 3x points is only if you book those things through AAA, not if you do it yourself.

That is not the way I am reading it , but this is why I am posting here.

The key is : "or at eligible retail travel merchants. Eligible travel merchants include: (a) Airlines (individual major airline carriers, Airlines/Air Carriers); (b) Car Rental Agencies (individual major agencies and Automobile Rental Agencies); © Hotels, Motels, Inns and Resorts (individual major hotel/motel chains and Hotels/Motels/Resorts); (d) Steamship/Cruise Lines; (e) Travel Agencies and (f) Rail Transactions (representing Commuter Transport/Ferries & Passenger Railways)."