How early to get to Ooosterdam for boarding and is dining room open for lunch

Janderra

Hi

First time on HAL ships so need some questions answered please. We are sailing out of Sydney (White BaY) on the Ooosterdam on 19/12/2015.

Information given to me says boarding at 2.00pm, sailing at 5.00pm.

I have already printed my express boarding pass and luggage tags.

However I am not sure how early before 2.00pm we should get to the ship for check in, and if we drop our luggage off first. Is it necessary to go 1.5 hrs before so that we are not at the end of the line to check in.

Also if we are on board early is there anywhere open for lunch.

If not we will need to have early lunch before we arrive at the ship.

Also concerned about charging phones, tablet etc and using my hair dryer.

Are all the plugs American plugs. Can you use a 3 point power board to charge all your gadgets at once.

I like to use my own hairdryer as the ones in hotels are too strong.

Thank you for advice, so I can be organised.

Also ship docks at 5.00am on return to Sydney so what time do we need to be off the ship. Also do they work with the same system as European cruises where you have to have your luggage ready at midnight outside your cabin and only keep hand luggage. If so may have to have 2nd piece of hand luggage for toiletries, clothes from night before etc. etc.

Janderra

Boarding - We have usually arrived at 10.30 am (when we get kicked out of our Hotel) and have been able to drop our luggage off but not board. We have found that boarding starts around 11.30 am, even though our boarding pass tells us actual boarding is later. We have never embarked from White Bay and I understand that there is not much to do around there, so leaving your arrival there to 11.30ish would most likely work better.

As for the MDR for lunch, I have never used it but I seem to remember it is for 1 star Mariners and above, new cruisers to HAL are not eligible - but someone might be able to confirm (or disprove) this. However I have never found it too busy in the Lido, always got a table.

There are two plugs just above the desk in the main cabin, one US and one European. I bring along a Aus/US double adapter and never had a problem charging up my Tablet, Phone, Kindle, Camera and use it for my Hairdryer. Mind you I don't charge them all at once. An actual power board might be confiscated or might not. If it is confiscated you might be called into the naughty room and asked to open your bag for it to be removed, it will be given back at the end of the cruise, this could delay your luggage getting to your room.

When debarking you will be given options, sometime during the cruise you will be asked to fill in a form telling them what debarkation time you would like. They will issue you with a coloured tag the evening before giving your debarkation time for the next morning. Can't exactly remember when the first timeslot is, I think it is around 7.30 am and that is for people debarking with their own luggage. It then goes up in 1/2 hour increments until around 9.00 am when they want the last people off the ship. I usually try for the latest possible as my flights are always in the afternoon and I don't want to hang around the airport. If in a suite you can stay a little longer, last cruise because of that I got off at 10.00 am.

Luggage same as European ships, in the hallway the night before. You can take hand luggage off with you. As long as you just have your overnight bag and a carry bag with your toiletries in it you should be fine. They just don't want you clogging up debarkation trying to negotiate multiple heavy bags.

If you have sailed on HAL before, you are considered a Mariner. Even if you have not sailed on HAL but have sailed on Carnival, Princess, Costa, Seabourn or a P&O ship, you are also considered a Mariner and do qualify to have lunch in the main dining room on Embarkation day. Lunch is from Noon until 1:30. There are times when there are a lot of Mariners are on board the cruise and the Dining Room Manager will limit who can have lunch there on Embarkation day to 4 and 5 Star Mariners.

You can also get lunch in the Lido Buffet and the Dive In at the Terrace Grill.

The boarding time on the boarding pass was never changed when HAL went to early embarkation.

Check-in generally begins about 11:00 AM, with boarding starting at 11:30. Some ports do extend these times one half hour, and there are times, for extraordinary reasons, when the entire process is significantly delayed. Those are rare.

Lunch is served in the dining room for Mariners from noon until 1:30 (times have been known to vary a little). That includes anyone who has ever sailed on a ship in the entire Carnival Corporation fleet. Buffet lunch is served in the Lido right up until shortly before muster, so there is no rush to get there. You can also get a hamburger, hot dog, fries, and a few other selections at the Dive-In burger bar by the Lido pool.

It's already been explained that you will get a disembarkation number based on your on-going plans. The passengers with earlier flights get off sooner than those with later flights. You can also do self-disembark in most ports, and those people leave first, around 7:30, dragging their own luggage behind them.

You don't keep an extra carry-on for last night things. You get most of your packing done, then either wear you traveling clothes the night before, or change into them when you are almost done packing (that way you are sure to have what you need, and are presentable to be out in the passageway). Pack those last things. Have some small quantities of toiletries that fit in your carry-on. For example, when I am almost done with a large tube of toothpaste, I save it for that last morning, then toss the rest; I pack the large tube. I keep enough face cream for morning in a small container; a piece of plastic wrap would work, too.

Have a great time.

If you have sailed on HAL before, you are considered a Mariner. Even if ... have sailed on Carnival

How do they know if you have sailed on another line? We sailed on Carnival Australia in June 2014, how would they recognise that?

How do they know if you have sailed on another line? We sailed on Carnival Australia in June 2014, how would they recognise that?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

And are there any other benefits for level 1 Mariners?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

And are there any other benefits for level 1 Mariners?

You should be invited to the Mariner's brunch which is held near the end of the cruise.

From HAL's site for 1 Star Mariners:

Star Mariner

Join us for any cruise and return as a Star Mariner. You’ll feel the special treatment as soon as you come aboard as our way of saying, “Welcome back.” As a Star Mariner, you’ll receive:

• Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch in the dining room (from 12:00pm to 1:30pm) as well as a complimentary Mariner Champagne Brunch
  • A special collectible gift presented to you on board
  • A free subscription to the print or digital** version of Mariner magazine
  • Offers to special sailings hosted by a representative of the Mariner Society
  • Special offers on select sailings
  • A 50% cruise fare discount on the 3rd/4th guest staying in your stateroom on select sailings

I contacted the Mariners via email to ensure I had my star for the carnival cruise I took in 2009. They took care of it right away. If you log into the holland website with your booking number and don't see your star I would contact them.

Log in to the HAL site and go to My Account > My Reservations. It should show you as 1starMariner.gif It should also show on the OnLine CheckIn page. If it does not, email the Mariner Society giving them the specifics of your Carnival Cruise. Edited by jtl513

...Lunch is from Noon until 1:30. There are times when there are a lot of Mariners are on board the cruise and the Dining Room Manager will limit who can have lunch there on Embarkation day to 4 and 5 Star Mariners.

You can also get lunch in the Lido Buffet and the Dive In at the Terrace Grill.

If the dining room should be restricted as noted above, is there an exception for those of fewer stars who have paid for a Neptune Suite? I like the occasional hamburger and buffet on land, but definitely not on a ship - especially when paying suite fares.

If the dining room should be restricted as noted above, is there an exception for those of fewer stars who have paid for a Neptune Suite? I like the occasional hamburger and buffet on land, but definitely not on a ship - especially when paying suite fares.

I doubt that there would be any special privileges extended. That said, I cruise with hal a lot. I've only run into the situation KK described once. I have over 300 days with hal, some of that time in neptune suites.

That happened to us once when we were two star, and the woman at the check-in counter said "well you are in a suite, I'm sure they'd let you in". We didn't try, as we didn't want to put any of the crew in an awkward position.

Instead, we gorged on the Neptune Lounge offerings. :)

Edited by CowPrincess