Tip in speciality restaurants

jzad

...Back when there was only one specialty restaurant per ship, SS United States, Normandie, etc. it was always the word on these boards that the (then)$30 was purely gratuity for the more attentive service. Most comments were that because of this no additional gratuity was necessary nor expected...

This has always been a common misconception and even a source of debate on these boards. Years ago, because of the debate on a couple threads, I emailed Celebrity to ask about this and was told that the service charge included a gratuity but that it was less that the full service charge. Years later, after the S class ships were introduced I emailed them again after major debate on these boards and once again they confirmed that that the service charge includes a gratuity but that it was not all gratuity.

I also recall a thread from this forum in 2010 (5 years ago!) when the then Executive Chef for Celebrity, Jacques Van Staden, was quoted or misquoted as saying that all of the service charge went to the staff. This resulted in a lot of debate until one of Cruise Critics managers was contacted by Celebrity and asked to clarify that only a portion of the service charge was for gratutities in the following post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=25893054

Hello Everyone:

I have heard directly from the PR folks over at Celebrity Cruises. They have shared with me the following information:

"Jacques was quoted as saying that surcharges for dining in our specialty restaurants go entirely toward gratuities for the staff in the venues. But, only a portion of the surcharge goes toward staff gratuities; the surcharges also cover costs."

A few of you have said that only a portion goes towards gratuities as well, which makes you correct. Celebrity felt it was important to confirm that information to you.

Hope this helps,

Laura

Edited by Lsimon

The constant increases in speciality restaurant cover charges makes me less likely to tip extra. Food cost prices are generally reducing therefore the restaurant price increases are profit makers for the cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk