Tip in speciality restaurants

jzad

Good evening. We are sailing on Reflection in January and I booked the Lawn Grill and paid on line. Do we just use cash to leave a tip on board?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The cover charge you paid for the specialty restaurants includes gratuities.

Even so, it is common to leave a little extra gratuity if you feel the service merits it. But you should feel comfortable that you are not stiffing the staff if you choose not to do so.

You can charge any extra tips to your seapass card or leave them in cash. They'll general still give you a bill showing the advance payment and any beverage charges you incur that night. If for some reason they don't they'll be more than happy to print a zero charge bill for you with a line for tips.

Edited by Lsimon

I have read on here that if you are going to leave an extra tip in a specialty restaurant, the staff prefer that you do it on your sea pass card by adding it to the printed slip (rather than leave cash), since the powers that be will then know that you were really pleased with the service. I have no idea whether that is true, but in case it is, we've been doing it that way since.

But you can certainly leave cash.

Enjoy your cruise. The Lawn Club Grill is wonderful.

Edited by Turtles06

I have read on here that if you are going to leave an extra tip in a specialty restaurant, the staff prefer that you do it on your sea pass card by adding it to the printed slip (rather than leave cash), since the powers that be will then know that you were really pleased with the service. I have no idea whether that is true, but in case it is, we've been doing it that way since.

Thank you! I don't mind either way (cash or seapass). I'm very excited for the lawn club for sure!

Good evening. We are sailing on Reflection in January and I booked the Lawn Grill and paid on line. Do we just use cash to leave a tip on board?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

on board is cashless.

the fee includes a gratuity, but if you wish to add more, you may do so by adding it to the final bill and charging it to your account

Agreed... Excellent post

Then too the amount is divided appropriately among ALL that made your Dining Experience top drawer (rumour has it that each Specialty Restaurant has their own sort of tip pool... The Waiter has to tip out the Asst Waiter as well as others behind the scenes. Putting any extra tip on your SeaPass Card makes it documented & easier for all concerned)

Cheers!

It's very, very rare that people leave cash as a tip after a meal. If you want to leave more than was already a part of the specialty fee, add the amount on the bill.
I always leave cash ($5 per person) and have seen others leave cash as well. Edited by NLH Arizona

Very true!:D

If you ask them, by a large majority they will say they prefer cash. I have asked both on ships and land and have never had anyone say they preferred it on the bill, most actually snicker if you ask them

Edited by dkjretired

Very true!:D

I get $100 in $2 b4 leaving. Any hardworking servers and stewards who enhance my experience can expect a gratuity - especially the room steward. We prefer My Time dining so our gratuities are prepaid. By doling out an extra$100 during the trip we more than double our contributions to people who are busting their ass nonstop to take care of us.

The happiest people in the world are the most generous because they know every dime they give away comes back dressed as a dollar.

It's very, very rare that people leave cash as a tip after a meal. If you want to leave more than was already a part of the specialty fee, add the amount on the bill.

Hee-Hee...I MUST be a rare duck Darcie; I have always given a cash tip upon departing..always have.

Never bad service at a speciality restaurant...

We usually go with a group, so they always get a big cash tip... :p

• 4 months later...

Older thread but I have a question.

Hadn't cruised in several years until just last year. First time back in a specialty restaurant was last month on Constellation in Tuscan Grill. I had always read here that the extra charge in the specialty restaurants were primarily a gratuity. This past cruise, our first visit to Tuscan Grill was 20% off; second was 40% off; last visit was 50% off. Are these discounts coming out of the gratuity for the server?

Thanks

Very rare? We always give cash tips to all who serve us. We both have had 2nd jobs where we received tips and let me tell you we really appreciated those who cared enough to recognize our service.

I get $100 in $2 b4 leaving. Any hardworking servers and stewards who enhance my experience can expect a gratuity - especially the room steward. We prefer My Time dining so our gratuities are prepaid. By doling out an extra$100 during the trip we more than double our contributions to people who are busting their ass nonstop to take care of us.

The happiest people in the world are the most generous because they know every dime they give away comes back dressed as a dollar.

Well said. Agree 100%

Older thread but I have a question.

Hadn't cruised in several years until just last year. First time back in a specialty restaurant was last month on Constellation in Tuscan Grill. I had always read here that the extra charge in the specialty restaurants were primarily a gratuity. This past cruise, our first visit to Tuscan Grill was 20% off; second was 40% off; last visit was 50% off. Are these discounts coming out of the gratuity for the server?

Thanks

Good question, but they way we always do it on land or sea is tip on the full price of the meal, not the discount. Occasionally we've gotten free meals or two-for-one but we don't tip on what we paid, we tip on the full amount.

That way you don't have to wonder if they're being short-changed.

Add us to the list of those who tip in cash during the cruise. We used to to do the $2 bills but then I read that although they like them, some don't think they're real. We bring about $40 in ones and then if we need more we get them at Guest Relations. They'll give you about 10 or 20 at once.

Good question, but they way we always do it on land or sea is tip on the full price of the meal, not the discount. Occasionally we've gotten free meals or two-for-one but we don't tip on what we paid, we tip on the full amount.

Add us to the list of those who tip in cash during the cruise. We used to to do the $2 bills but then I read that although they like them, some don't think they're real. We bring about $40 in ones and then if we need more we get them at Guest Relations. They'll give you about 10 or 20 at once.

I appreciate your response, but I was asking something different. Yes If I am dining in a traditional restaurant here at home and it's 'two for one night' I tip based on what the full price of the dinner would have been.

Many times, over the years here on Cruise Critic back to when I joined twelve years ago, it has been stated by members that the additonal charge is for the gratuity. When they discount, as much as 50%, is it coming out of the gratuity?

...Many times, over the years here on Cruise Critic back to when I joined twelve years ago, it has been stated by members that the additional charge is for the gratuity. When they discount, as much as 50%, is it coming out of the gratuity?

The specialty restaurant service charge includes a gratuity but it is not all for gratuity. I've confirmed that twice over the years with Celebrity via email and even Celebrity's Brochures indicate the specialty restaurant charge "includes gratuities". Unfortunately Celebrity has never divulged the amount of gratuity included in the service charge and has never indicated how a discounted specialty restaurant price impacts the amount going into the tip pool for the discounted meals.

It is customary (although completely optional) for guests to give an additional gratuity at the specialty restaurants if they feel the service warrants it. If you would like to consider the discount you received as a good reason to increase this additional gratuity then feel free to do so. I'm sure the staff would appreciate it.

Thanks Claudia. But is the upcharge in the specialty restaurants the price of the meal or is it the gratuity for the servers? Back when there was only one specialty restaurant per ship, SS United States, Normandie, etc. it was always the word on these boards that the (then)$30 was purely gratuity for the more attentive service. Most comments were that because of this no additional gratuity was necessary nor expected.

We used to do the $2 bills too. More convenient for us, but I read here that they were viewed suspiciously and sometimes staff had difficulty spending them in some ports.