How to get upgrades

Hi!

I see a lot of posts of people saying they got upgrades to suites or onboard credit, or many other things. My question is how do you get them??! With the travel agency or directly with Royal?? I'm about to book a cruise what do you recommend, travel agency or on the royal c. Website?

Thankss a lot!! :) :D

Many of the upgrades people are getting now are one's they "upgrade" themselves after final payment....if the price of the cruise goes down...and the category above the one you booked also goes down you can sometimes upgrade for a very small cost...

Onboard credit is often given when booking one of the many "sales" RCI is running lately or by booking a cruise onboard the ship...OBC is also a perk of some travel agents...

But free upgrades from Royal...as Retired Leo said...it's a mystery that no one really knows...;)

Edited by kc320

We were given a free upgrade to a GS on our 2nd RCI Cruise,...

We have booked a GS ever since, and that's a lot of Cruises.

One time, at a reception, I shared my story with the Hotel Director...

He smiled and said that they know what they're doing when they "target" candidates....and it's all in the marketing....

They know who you are, especially if you cruised with them before...

If I have cruised 50 times with RCI, always book an inside cabin, don't spend much $$, my chances of an upgrade are less than a new cruiser.

They already have me hooked, now they have to reel in new people.

Edited by B-52

Upgrades-easy answer

Three choices-

1. Call Royal and just ask them

2. Ask Pier Coordinator when you get to the port

3. Ask Guest Services when you get on

I'm sure all three would be more than happy to accomodate you. :rolleyes:

Just kiddin....................:D

I have to agree with the poster that said new cruisers get upgrades. I always hear of them getting some sort of an upgrade. Cruisers like us who cruise once a month generally don't get anything because they've already got us hooked.

I have never gotten one, and i am a C&A member which is supposed to help with that...or so at least they list that as a "perk"...lol

5 cruises in 2 years and nothing yet.

While I book mostly inside cabins(as I travel solo and anything else is absurd cost at 200%), I have booked oceanview in the past.

My upcoming trip, I changed from inside cabin, to solo studio...saved myself $100 and got a $50OBC.....but wouldn't consider that a "free" upgrade......

One time, at a reception, I shared my story with the Hotel Director...

He smiled and said that they know what they're doing when they "target" candidates....and it's all in the marketing....

They know who you are, especially if you cruised with them before...

I'm sure this is how it works. Had a free inside-to-balcony upgrade on our last cruise...first time we had the ability to go in several years but (not to be weird or anything) we're a prime target group...young couple with good salaries and the potential to come back for many years. Hook 'em early, they definitely know what they're doing.

We felt to financially conscious to spring for the balcony this time, even though we could have afforded it, so I was about as thrilled as you get :)

We have also never had a RCI upgrade. Booked mostly insides and oceanview initially, sometimes guarantees, and always ended up with what we booked.

Two RCI cruises ago, we were booked in an inside and then a balcony guarantee opened up for $100 total difference from what we paid. We upgraded ourselves. LOVED the balcony, much more than expected and have since booked the balcony on our last cruise and upcoming cruise. They should have upgraded us a long time ago. LOL.

Princess, on the other hand, we have received an upgrade each of the 3 cruises. I'm crossing my fingers for my February sailing.

In old days when we booked inside cabins had several upgrade to outside best was the 10 day Hawaii. But my only Celebrity cruise we booked a balcony and were upgraded to sky suite with butler aft suite which was incredible. I think diamond + and Pinnacle have best chances we are just diamond

It depends less on who YOU are than on what CRUISE you are on and how it is selling.

Potential increases on cruises where booking is less than stellar and/or they think that they can sell YOUR inside/oceanview/balcony cabin more readily than that JS or whatever.

But the single best way to get an upgrade is to PAY FOR ONE.

Never caught a whiff of an upgrade in 20 cruises! Once I tried to upgrade to suite after final payment (through Celebrity) and they told me the price was for new bookings only.

One of our dining companions mentioned that we'd start getting upgrades after 300 points.

One of our dining companions mentioned that we'd start getting upgrades after 300 points.

Don't hold your dining companion to that. We are just under 700 points with RCI and we don't get upgraded.

I have a theory about why I got upgraded on my last cruise (Majesty). Initially I booked an outside room for me (seasoned cruiser) and my childhood friend (first cruise for her). I saw the prices drop drastically for a JS guarantee, and I changed our cabin to that.

Later, I got an email that referenced a "booking change." In a panic I opened it to discover that we had been upgraded to an Owner's Suite!

My theory is that we got the upgrade because I have done several RCI cruises since 1993 (I'm one cruise away from D+), and this was her FIRST cruise. I'm sure they were trying to hook her in! They also knew that I'd never be able to cruise in an outside cabin (or JS for that matter) with my family again.

They were right...