Koningsdam & the Caribbean

Topo Gigio

My guess would be yes, as they have done that with all their other ships, but as Sails says, her fall schedule have not been anounced yet. Guess we'll all have to wait and see what the plans are for this ship..

Edited by PathfinderEss

My Magic 8 ball says you'll see here there come November 2016, yes. She very likely won't stay in Europe through the slow season, and the only other logical place to put her is the Caribbean.

This has been the pattern with previous new builds. Arriving Fort Lauderdale to begin the Caribbean season.

Last month a crew member (who had been with HAL for THIRTY EIGHT years!!!) told us the K'dam would assume the NA itineraries. So, I am placing my bets on yes.

* Disclaimer. I know that 38 years of service does not qualify him to be the all knowing authority on what the sailings will be, I just wanted to point out how amazing it is that HAL even has such employees:) *

My Magic 8 ball says you'll see here there come November 2016, yes. She very likely won't stay in Europe through the slow season, and the only other logical place to put her is the Caribbean.

I'd love to be on that Transatlantic cruise! Stay tuned.....

Last month a crew member (who had been with HAL for THIRTY EIGHT years!!!) told us the K'dam would assume the NA itineraries. So, I am placing my bets on yes.

* Disclaimer. I know that 38 years of service does not qualify him to be the all knowing authority on what the sailings will be, I just wanted to point out how amazing it is that HAL even has such employees:) *

IF she would do the Nieuw Amsterdam's itinerary, what itinerary do you think the Nieuw Amsterdam will do?

IF she would do the Nieuw Amsterdam's itinerary, what itinerary do you think the Nieuw Amsterdam will do?

I'll be interested in that too. One thing I know for sure is that I'll be taking the Panama canal cruise in April 2016 baring any unforeseen circumstances. Very excited about that.

LOL. San Juan & St.Maarten are my favorite E.C. ports.

I agree San Juan is high on my list of favorite ports along with Aruba and Curacao. I'd love Koningsdam to do a 10/11 day that included those ports. :)

We have been to San Juan far too many times. Our first cruises were out of San Juan.

I don't like the idea that we arrive in San Juan at 1 PM -- too hot at that time of the day to really walk around and enjoy the place.

For years, long before we started cruising, we loved resort vacations in San Juan. We have accumulated months of time in Puerto Rico and never tired of it. Each time we returned, we liked it more. :) I would select one itinerary over another if there was a late sailaway from San Juan. I hope Koningsdam does Caribbean sooner rather than later. :)

I'm hoping the Konningsdam does a Eastern in Dec.2017. If she does, I will switch from RCCL, and definitely give HAL a try. I'm really looking forward to it.

What is it about Koningsdam that makes you eager to try HAL that current HAL ships are not offering?

Just so nobody gets the wrong idea, St. Maarten is one of my favorite Caribbean ports and I always enjoy a quick walk to Fort San Cristobal in San Juan.

My point was just that the new ship always initially picks up the 7 day run to these islands, rather than longer sailings to more exotic ports.

Just so nobody gets the wrong idea, St. Maarten is one of my favorite Caribbean ports and I always enjoy a quick walk to Fort San Cristobal in San Juan.

My point was just that the new ship always initially picks up the 7 day run to these islands, rather than longer sailings to more exotic ports.

I also wish that the new ships could pick up longer than 7 day cruises. But HAL seems to have a policy for these new ship:

Get them on the ship, get their money and get them off the ship. Many new cruisers are willing to spend the money on a 7 day cruise knowing that they probably will not be cruising any time soon.

And sadly the larger ships can't dock at many of the ports of the smaller and more exotic islands.