Navigator out of Galveston - disembarkation question?

Lavani

Ok, ok, I know some variety of this question is asked all of the time, but I would love it if anyone could humor me and let me know about their recent experiences.

We are sailing on the Navigator out of Galveston in May. I am wondering if we can book a 12:55pm flight out of Hobby on Sunday when we get back? I have read so many things about disembarking in Galveston, and it sounds like it can be a mess, but others say that it has been improving. It also seems like it varies depending on what cruise line you are taking.

Anyone done this lately and can tell me their experiences? We will have quite a bit of luggage, so I don't think we can self-disembark (2 adults, 2 kids). We all have passports. We will have a rental car parked across the street from the terminal, and we will have to return that at Hobby. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

As long as there's no Fog that often poses a problem with the ship's docking on time in Galveston.

**WARNING: absolutely naïve question**

:o

Is fog in the area based on a particular season (more common in the fall)?

Thanks

We used self-assist on Nov 30 from the Navigator in Galveston and were back to our car by 8 am. Parked across the street. Left cabin around 7:25. Very easy. Less than 10 mins in customs. We had two adults and two kids and used one large suitcase and one carry on size suitcase and a duffel bag. Would do it again in a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you can't self disembark and your cruise is the Belize itinerary I would be nervous. We cruise Galveston frequently and have yet to have a smooth disembarkation on that itinerary. OTOH we have been off the ship and in our car leaving the parking lot in less than 30 minutes when we go to Jamaica.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

If you can't self disembark and your cruise is the Belize itinerary I would be nervous. We cruise Galveston frequently and have yet to have a smooth disembarkation on that itinerary. OTOH we have been off the ship and in our car leaving the parking lot in less than 30 minutes when we go to Jamaica.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

For some reason, I've seen posted on CC quite often about the Belize itinerary being the pain for disembark. Takes MUCH longer. However, when we went back in May (the other itinerary), we were off the ship in about 30 minutes and 10 in customs.

**WARNING: absolutely naïve question**

:o

Is fog in the area based on a particular season (more common in the fall)?

Thanks

Fog will occur in January, February and perhaps March, but is all determined by weather, water temperature, etc.

Some years we have had none and other years several times a week.

Can't second guess mother nature!

Fog is less often than people let on. Of course if one is affected, they believe it is a daily occurrence - not the case.

For the most part I am NOT a fan of disembarkation in Galveston but I have to say last Sunday was one of the easiest ever, from any port or any cruise line. We didn't do self disembark and we DID the Belize itinerary. We were in one of first groups after the self assist folks and we were off the ship and out to our car in record time. We were on the road before 9:30AM, including the time it took us to get to our vehicle.

It was a complete 180 compared to the last time (9 months earlier) when we also did the Belize itinerary out of Galveston. As far as I'm concerned it pretty much blew the "Belize" equation out of the water this time. Easiest debarkation ever. So now I'm really not sure what issues have been responsible for the awful debarkation experiences that have been so common.

We were also on the cruise getting back to Galveston on Sunday, Dec. 7th. RCI was organized! We did self-disembark and went to the main dining room to wait for custom clearance. A staff member made sure that those that arrived first were also the first to leave the ship. Can you imagine :-) I guess they've finally listened to the comments on the survey sheets as it used to be mass chaos. We were in our car and pulling out of EZ Cruise parking at 8:35 am. Fog is a problem in the winter months in Galveston. I don't think that will be a problem in May. Last May, our children took the 8:30 am RCI shuttle and were at Houston Hobby in about an hour & a half.

Edited by 05mak05

Agree, the key is getting off first, carrying your luggage with you. Not a issue with us since we drive home and not in a big hurry to fight the crowds. We did hang back later due the kids had later luggage tags and it did take painfully long.

In 10 cruises out of Galveston, we've only had a slow disembarkation twice -- one on each itinerary. One of those was on Easter Sunday, and there were a large number of non-US citizens and a shortage of CBP employees.

My last two Galveston cruises on the Mariner and the Navigator have both been the Belize itinerary. I don't do self-disembark, but I do get off in one of the first tag groups. We were off quickly and on our way home with no significant waits both times.

Thanks for sharing your experiences it was very helpful. (We are taking the Jamaica itinerary, although doesn't seem as though that matters anymore.)

We have decided to book the 12:55pm flight... but as backup insurance we are also booking a later return flight using our Southwest points. You can cancel that 10 minutes before and receive a refund of all of the points, so we are going to do that just to be safe. :)

I sailed Navigator out of Galveston in May of this year. It was a bit of a hassel, but my family and I survived it. Our itinerary included Belize. Forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain what relation Belize has to disembarkation in Galveston? Kind of confused here. :confused:

Thanks.

I am glad the OP asked this question. The comments above have been helpful to me.

We are contemplating cruising out of Galveston, ending on 2/1 (Super Bowl Sunday). I'd love to get home to Wisconsin in time to catch the game (or part of it).

I'm thinking 12:50 pm nonstop from IAH to MKE, arriving at 3:25 pm. Do people think we have a decent shot at making this flight if we self-disembark?

Like the OP, we could book a backup, later flight. SWA has the kindest policies and they have a 5:05 departure (Hobby). If ship is delayed by fog or if disembarkation is awful, we could eat the IAH 12:55 ticket and head to Hobby for the backup flight. We'd have to watch the game on DVR another day, but at least we'd have a flight.

Does this sound like a decent plan to those with Galveston experience?

As far as Belize itinerary and cruddy departure, one theory is the drug problems in Belize and Roatan so there may be added customs and immigration problems. But that doesn't hold water IMHO. I mean HELLO.... the other itinerary includes JAMAICA which has been known to have a drug or two! I've had terrible departures from a Jamaica cruise as well as a Belize cruise. I think a lot of it depends on how many customs agents they have, because that's where the bottleneck often happens.

• 1 month later...
Fog will occur in January, February and perhaps March, but is all determined by weather, water temperature, etc.

Some years we have had none and other years several times a week.

Can't second guess mother nature!

Fog is less often than people let on. Of course if one is affected, they believe it is a daily occurrence - not the case.

Thank you for your response. We will be traveling in July, so there's a chance, but not as great as currently.

And may I add that I feel as if it's a bit of a celebrity-cruise-critic sighting to have THE Galveston Cruiser answer my question? :D

Thank you for your response. We will be traveling in July, so there's a chance, but not as great as currently.

And may I add that I feel as if it's a bit of a celebrity-cruise-critic sighting to have THE Galveston Cruiser answer my question? :D

Living in Houston, I only wished we could get a bit on fog in the month of May. :D

That would mean we would get some cool air! If you self embark & have a car waiting to drive to Hobby, you should be fine. I will add this, if you plan to buy liquor and are asked if you have any, you will be directed to a secondary line of customs. The state of Texas now charges taxes to Texas residents for the purchase of liquor. Even if you are not a resident of Texas, and tell them you have liquor, you will be directed to this 2nd line. They'll ask you to show ID, and most likely wave you through if you're not from Texas. But the line may or may not back up a bit. But even with this occurence, you should still make it to Hobby by 10am.

• 2 weeks later...

Your plan of two flight bookings sounds smart. Fog should not be an issue in May (but it sure is today!) and the Customs situation is unpredictable. I was on the same cruise with bighairtexan and we self-assisted off with ease. One problem with regular debark is luggage - it takes a while to get luggage for three thousand people off the ship.