Fashion police

westward

Funny!

I agree that wearing blend-in fashions is a prudent strategy in high theft/mugging areas in Europe. But as a rule, anyone can see the fashion difference between a vacationer and a person walking to the office.

On cruise ships, I don't care to criticize the fashion sense of fellow passengers. My photos prove that I sometimes wear odd things as well. One pair of my capris will go to the donation bin. :) I need the others in our Florida summers. Just like Gangway Style!

My plan is to have a few Maxi dresses that are light and solid colors so they can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. I have not traveled with them yet so I hope they don't wrinkle much. They are so comfy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I personally don't have a problem with wearing a sundress probably with a denim jacket or light sweater in Europe during warm weather...

& when it's hot, DH has been guilty of wearing his USC golf hat.

I've worn cute dark blue eyelet shorts with a linen tank & long linen cardigan on a warm day in Rome & felt like I fit in.

It's all about the cut, color, fabric, & style of what you're wearing... a dumpy tee shirt, ill cut shorts & clunky white sneakers are what screams "American from a flyover state" to me... & we get a ton of those where I live. :)

This is my DD wearing shorts in Europe :eek: Of course she wouldn't go into a Church, Mosque or Cathedral wearing shorts, I think it's fine for sight seeing.

IMGA0206_zpsa411bb30.jpg

& this is me, in St. Emillion (I know, not a big city exactly) I am sporting a big tourist backpack though... it's parked under the table. Oh, & I'm wearing leggings ;) so basically I'm breaking all the rules.

DSCN3054.jpg

My point is, it was cool & rainy on the day of the second photo... I think it's appropriate to dress for the weather.

I believe I dress nicely where ever I go but if someone doesn't like that I wear a baseball cap on a shore excursion will have to get over it.

People that pickpocket do it for a living and they know who tourist are regardless of what they wear.

Shak

• 2 weeks later...
Baseball caps in the dining room !!!

Ditto!!

Actually, ANY hat in the dining room. But baseball caps seem to be ubiquitous. Don't know why. They aren't flattering on anyone I've ever seen. :D

Or for that matter, hats indoors period, where there is no need for sun or wind or rain protection..

Ditto!!

Actually, ANY hat in the dining room. But baseball caps seem to be ubiquitous. Don't know why. They aren't flattering on anyone I've ever seen. :D

Or for that matter, hats indoors period, where there is no need for sun or wind or rain protection..

I wear hats all the time. Not for any kind of protection but just because I love them and they are part of my style. I wear all styles of hats. The only reason I don't wear baseball-type hats is because they don't look good on me. I sometimes create a complete outfit just based on whatever hat I feel like wearing. I wear them indoors or outdoors. I don't see any problem with this at all. Ladies have been wearing hats to luncheons and in evenings in restaurants since way back when and as a matter of fact it was deemed unladylike not to wear one back in the day. I just love them and have fun with them. I would never wear a casual hat in the dining room on any formal occasion but I do wear hats that I believe to be appropriate on formal occasions. A nice beret with a vintage rhinestone pin on it is one of my favorite evening looks. My hair has thinned out as I've aged and so hats are a must for me.

Baseball caps on men do not bother me at all. I don't think they are appropriate in all circumstances but I realize they are part of a new culture of casualness that is almost universal these days. It just doesn't bother me a whole lot what other people wear. I have to admit though...I've seen some mighty crazy get ups on cruises.

I'm not sure why, but I have never seen someone in capris that I thought looked better than they would have in slacks that are the correct length for their legs. Maybe if I were more of an ankle man I would have the proper appreciation. To me, capris make a statement, "I cannot find slacks that are the correct length for my legs and I can't be bothered with alterations. (or there's a flood coming and I will be the only one with dry cuffs.)"

Sorry if I offend anyone, and I realize it's just my personal preference. With the proliferation of capris, I assume that I am of the minority opinion.

Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

Jerry, I am tall and find it VERY difficult to get slacks that are the correct length for my legs....no alterations will help that!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ditto!!

[bold emphasis mine]

Maybe because I am younger and grew up with baseball hats being a very normal thing for boys and now men my age to wear, but I often find that certain men look better with the hat on, even a baseball hat. I have a coworker in particular who I think looks really rather attractive when I see him outside of work in a baseball hat but doesn't do anything for me when I see him without it. My sister and I also used to notice while watching the Tour de France that many of the cyclists seemed like they were rather attractive with helmets on, but the minute they came off, not so much...

As for fashion crimes - tastes differ, but I agree with the poster who mentioned ill-fitting clothing, though I'd argue a size 8 swimming in a size 12 looks about as bad as a size 12 squeezed into a size 8.

DH always wears his baseball hat, even indoors. :( He claims that because he is bald it keeps his head warm. Secretly I think it makes him feel like he has hair or something.

DH always tucks his t-shirts into his pants and also will tuck a Hawaiian shirt in. UGH! His sense of fashion is horrible.

My other pet peeve is women who wear a racerback shirts with a regular strap bra. UGH! Do they not know that you can buy racerback bras, even in larger sizes? Actually, any sleeveless top on a woman where the bra straps show is a no, no in my opinion.

Well each to their own but I find the 'cruise uniform' of ladies white pants and navy and white striped top quite funny. My hubby does a tally at the end of each day of the number of cruise uniforms he's seen lol...

Well each to their own but I find the 'cruise uniform' of ladies white pants and navy and white striped top quite funny. My hubby does a tally at the end of each day of the number of cruise uniforms he's seen lol...

I'd be willing to wage that those ladies would be the ones watching everyone and commenting on the faux pas of those not wearing cruise-specific garb. How dare someone wear their everyday clothes on a ship ;)

I am definitely a victim of the fashion police. Just wore my gym clothes to the store today in fact.

However, when I am on a cruise I somehow find it important to plan out each and every thing I am going to wear and how I'm going to do my hair.

For me, the most egregious of fashion crimes is the one that is most common to spot. The lady or gent is dressed to the nines, or perhaps a carefully planned out outfit on cruise casual night, but that's not the first thing I notice, in fact I don't notice his or her outfit at all. I see a mean muggin stare in one direction or the other or perhaps an envious glare. It could be a grimace. I don't know for sure. I just think it is the worst to ruin a great outfit by being a grump.

Lol I totally just bought a blue and white stripped tee, an orange and white stripped tee plus white Capri's on clearance at my local grocery store (joe fresh @Zehr's) was so happy under $20 all in and will finally look nautical. Lol *rethinks packing dumb stripped shirts* ....but am still is on look out for a cool anchor necklace to complete the uniform ;)

Lol I totally just bought a blue and white stripped tee, an orange and white stripped tee plus white Capri's on clearance at my local grocery store (joe fresh @Zehr's) was so happy under $20 all in and will finally look nautical. Lol *rethinks packing dumb stripped shirts* ....but am still is on look out for a cool anchor necklace to complete the uniform ;)

Lol pack it! White Capri are in anytime. Also most people own at least one stripe shirt. And jewelry of any kind is good.

I am actually thinking of having my nails painted with nautical items for my Feb cruise. Have fun and enjoy.

I love people watching. But there are some serious crimes against fashion taking place everywhere. Don't get me wrong here, I can recognise good style on any age, but some people don't have a mirror in their home before they go out.

What's the worst fashion disaster you have seen worthy of a visit from Fashion Police? I'm afraid my pet hate is socks and sandals on men!

I enjoy watching people, but its more about personality than appearance. I honestly don't care what a person is wearing.