Beach Dive near port in Grand Caymen

BillOh

I cruised in late 2013 and my dive was canceled (Royal's private area Coco Cay) Surgery in early 2014 so I couldn't dive this year. Now I've scheduled this dive. I'll have a good time no matter what, but any photos or experiences here are welcome. My only trepidation is the fact that this is a tender port that could be missed, though I have had great luck in early May. The last stop after this is Cozumel, which I could arrange something, but I already have plans there for a beach day.

I don't understand the question

are you asking where is a good place for a shore dive in Cayman

or where does RCCL do a shore excursion's "beach dive?"

if the first, search Eden Rock and Sunset House ... both written up many times

if the second, I duuno

I don't understand the question

It really wasn't a question, sorry if I wasn't clear enough. Just looking for any feedback any has from diving at one of the locations right near the pier. Interesting? I did end up picking a royal sponsored excursion early in the morning so we can do other things afterward.

well, as I said both have been written about a lot so just search the names. I've dove both MANY times. I've many MORE dives on Sunset but that's because I have done many week long dive trips staying at Sunset and would then make one and sometimes two dives a day on the 'house reef'. Sunset is considered one of the best shore dive sites on the island. My preference comes from the aspect of the 'full package' however. Sunset tends to see few if any cruisers and after the dive you have My Bar, one of the best places on the island.

EDEN is a world class dive site and again, a favorite shore dive for folks on the island, and I've visited at least once every trip to Cayman where I stayed for more than a couple of days. The potential downside for EDEN is that it is the closest good snorkeling and diving to the tender landings and many (most) folks who want to DIY will stop at the first place they see. And altho there are places for food and drink close they are not part of the same operation or "My Bar"!

On any given day the conditions at the two places are going to be very similar as they only about 1/3 of a mile apart and the dive profile will be similar ... expect max depts. around 50 but 60 is possible. EDEN has several swim thrus while Sunset has the statue and a wreck, the Nicolson (sp).

Bottom line, they are both good dives .... what your conditions will be on any given day and what you'll see is a roll o' the dice. If you ever stay longer ... Sunset is an EXCELLENT place for a night dive .... I've seen feeding octopus, open basket stars, spotted eel, garden eel, slipper lobster, coral crab, tons of macro stuff . . . my My Bar ready and waiting post dive!

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. Initially it was going to be 4 of us on this trip and my non-diving wife was going to go with another couple somewhere else. But since they canceled, I want to do a short dive just to get a dive in since my fall 2013 dive was canceled and I couldn't dive in 2014 because of surgery. Checking my log I haven't had an open water dive since St Thomas 5/2/13. If we somehow miss this port, I might have to try something last minute at Cozumel.

So looking at the current shore excursion offerings of RCCL for Grand Cayman I see a shore diving offering at Casuarina Point Reef ... which I'd never heard of so I did some digging . . .

"Our waterfront location is the ideal place for deep or shallow shore dives. Our house reef, Casuarina Point, is easy to navigate with depths ranging from 15ft/5m to 60ft/18m, and offers a variety of environments for you to explore"

that's the shore dive description for Don Foster's shop . . 218 South Church Street .. puts them in between Eden and Sunset.

templatemo_image_01.jpg

For as many dives as I've walked from Sunset to town and back I've NEVER seen that sign! But, they are on the same section of reef . . . for what that's worth. It is probably just as good . . . I'm sure this is not the 'original' location of Don Foster's, who's been a player in Cayman for a long time ... they probably bought out a small hotel on the beach and built a shop in the last few years. That is a GUESS.

- See more at: http://www.donfosters.com/pages/diving_shore.php#sthash.Bqv6vr5k.dpuf

FOOTNOTE: There have been many discussions of Sunset and Eden in recent years and not ONCE has anyone ever mentioned: hey, Don Foster's is between those two places and also offers . . . . weird; or VERY NEW ... I am looking at satellite imagery dated 3/2014 and it looks to ME like there are two Foster's dive boats anchored just off the facility.

you know, the price they are charging isn't HORRIBLE

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=cruiseDetails&packageCode=FR07W137&date=&selectedCurrencyCode=&ProductCode=GCD9&DestinationCode=CARIB

but an experienced diver can do this site, or Eden or Sunset for just the cost of a tank ($10) and whatever rental equipment you need. The navigation is SUPER easy ... swim due west to the reef and swim due east to get back to shore . . . can't go deeper than 60 feet unless you swim WAY out, or dig a hole.

On a cruise stop, I carry my travel gear and can get in two dives at Sunset for under $40 ... and the rest of the gang chills at My Bar . . all ya need is a buddy.

That does make sense. If I ever do go there to stay, I'll keep that in mind. Since I will be there this time with my wife, I scheduled the ships dive early in the morning so we can do what my non-diving wife wants to do the rest of the day.