Bringing bottle water and can drinks onboard. Is it still allowed?

World Gallery

Its been over 2 years since we last cruised but I knew I could ask here to get the most updated info!

Can we each bring a 6 pack of can soda (stuff we usually can't find on the ship like caffeine-free coke and Dr. Pepper)? Also, what about bottled water? In the past, the only line that didn't allow it was Royal Carribean but NCL always did.

Also, if we can bring it, must be put it in our carry on and "declare it"?

Thanks.

Depends on the port which is the best way of getting drinks onboard. In most ports you can just stick a luggage tag to a 12-pack for example and it will be delivered to your cabin door just as the rest of the luggage. In some few ports that can't be done but instead you need to carry drinks yourself with your carryon.

We use a very thin nylon carry on bag for sodas. We can flatten it and pack it without it taking up much room, then buy the water or soda locally. Put a luggage tag on it and you're set.

We usually bring a 12 to 18 pack of bottled water, and just tape a luggage tag to it. NCL doesn't have a problem with it but some have reported the dock workers might in some ports (and if they do, you have to carry it on).

We are leaving from New Orleans. Do you know if we can stick the luggage tag on it there? Thanks!

To my understanding NOLA is one of the few ports where checking in drinks is not allowed and you need to carry them. Tampa is also one, and IIRC a port in Texas, can't remember exactly.

To my understanding NOLA is one of the few ports where checking in drinks is not allowed and you need to carry them. Tampa is also one, and IIRC a port in Texas, can't remember exactly.

So, just so I am understanding this correctly (this is our first cruise...), when we sail out of Tampa we will have to carry on our water/pop along with our carry on luggage? Just trying to make sure we will have enough hands to physically do this. Don't want to find out at the dock! We will each have a carry on (including the kids) from our flight down, plus one large checked suitcase.

So, just so I am understanding this correctly (this is our first cruise...), when we sail out of Tampa we will have to carry on our water/pop along with our carry on luggage?

Yes. Been there, done that, porters didn't take the drinks so we had to haul them onboard ourselves.

So, just so I am understanding this correctly (this is our first cruise...), when we sail out of Tampa we will have to carry on our water/pop along with our carry on luggage? Just trying to make sure we will have enough hands to physically do this. Don't want to find out at the dock! We will each have a carry on (including the kids) from our flight down, plus one large checked suitcase.

Carryon cases (thus with wheels) are great for this, just pop the packs of water bottles on the top and secure them a bit and it works out great that way.

Wow! Okay, thanks for the info. I had just finished packing a large case of coke, sprite and water in one of the largest suit cases we have (the largest one in a set). I was planning on writing "heavy" on it. Now I am wondering how it will be for this suit case to go through as a carry on. My husband says he can do it but it is BIG. I didn't see a weight limit for suitcases. We are local so do not have flights to worry about.

PS The reason for putting all drinks in one big suit case, instead of spreading them out, is in case they leak. I don't want the clothing to get wet.

Edited by World Gallery

Wow! Okay, thanks for the info. I had just finished packing a large case of coke, sprite and water in one of the largest suit cases we have (the largest one in a set).

Just keep them outside a suitcase, also makes it easier for the security folks to see that you are not smuggling in a large quantity of alcohol, which if they suspect might cause you to come identify what is in there. Thus much easier to just put a luggage tag on them and send them through.

Just keep them outside a suitcase, also makes it easier for the security folks to see that you are not smuggling in a large quantity of alcohol, which if they suspect might cause you to come identify what is in there. Thus much easier to just put a luggage tag on them and send them through.

You seem to be forgetting that checking in beverages is forbidden in Tampa where they will be cruising from. Having drinks in the carryon bag is very easy and the bag can be easily opened after xray in case the security wants to see the contents of the bag.

You seem to be forgetting that checking in beverages is forbidden in Tampa where they will be cruising from. Having drinks in the carryon bag is very easy and the bag can be easily opened after xray in case the security wants to see the contents of the bag.

Indeed, for Tampa you'll indeed need to carry them on your carry on.

Unless you are addicted to drinking and paying for bottled water it is a total waste of time to carry it on board.

Take an empty bottle and fill it on the ship. The water is fine.

It depends on the ship, but on most ships the water is technically fine and in many cases a lot cleaner than factory bottled water anywhere, but it still has very strong chlorine taste (unless the chlorine is filtered out like in ship's restaurants and bars) and that is why we usually bring bottled water to consume in the cabin and on port stops.

If one is used to water tasting like the water from the cabin tap, then one probably could call it "fine" - we come from a country where water is actually clean and tasteless (because of a lot lower doses of chlorine needed) so the chlorine taste is too much for us for the water to be "fine" on most ships - there have been some exceptions though.

It depends on the ship, but on most ships the water is technically fine and in many cases a lot cleaner than factory bottled water anywhere

Technically it is indeed much cleaner; fun detail: the recycled water from the toilets/showers etc is not allowed to be reused, they need to let it out into the ocean; they then later take in water from the ocean and purify that again...

but it still has very strong chlorine taste

Same as most of mainland USA: you go to a pool and then take a shower and actually stink more like chlorine as the water from the shower has a lot more in it :(

We come from a country where water is actually clean and tasteless

Exactly, coming from Switzerland where around Zurich the water coming out of the tap is typically of higher standard than even the bottled Evian, one really notices the chlorine and other adages.

Worse though and the primary reason for not going for the water there or even the sodas (the pepsi/mountaindew molasses is just mixed with water) is that I get a really big aching throat after drinking it.

Hence... bottled water is the only way to go in that case.

Oh and Coke of course as NCL has this silly Pepsi deal which should really be swapped with Coca Cola :cool:

Yes, that is why we take bottled water. Our tap water (which we drink) is clear and tasteless. I simply cannot stand the taste of ship water. To me, it tastes like I am drinking a glass of pool water with ice in it. Also, what I think is very gross (saw someone doing it so I reported it immediately so they could clean it), is taking a used water bottle that you have been drinking from and placing it directly on the spout of the drink dispenser. I saw a man doing with complete contact to the spout with his used bottle top, without even thinking.