What does this mean - SI Canada Charter?

Scott2.0

I was checking the prices of my sailing and noticed a bunch of theses options below. Does anyone know what they mean?

SI Canada (YHM) Charter Bng Pkg

SI Canada (YOW) Charter Bng Pkg

SI Canada (YQM) Charter Bng Pkg Western

SI Canada (YXU) Charter Bng Pkg

SI = Sports Illustrated?! :D

There are chartered aircraft to bring entire planes of Canadians from each airport code noted to the ships in these months.

So the ships are taking reservations from several groups, mostly Canadians, but anyone can still book, as opposed to a typical charter where you don't book with X but via the group directly, and those not part of the group can't sail. I imagine each charter group has inventory only for as many seats as available on the plane from each airport code.

CLE-GUY has explained it well.

Here is a link to a past topic that goes into more detail (in particular my Reply # 15)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2098310

These Celebrity Canada Chaters are happening this year February thru April on The Silhouette (SI) and The Reflection

The other letters are the related Airport Codes that the Canada North (aka Celebrity Air) flights will fly out of

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=327501&d=1412963469

The booking info is on Celebrity's Website because as I understand it any Cdn wanting to book the whole Charter Pkg (Return Flights - Transfers - Cruise) can do so either via a Travel Agent or direct with Celebrity

As stated, there is still availability for others on most / all of these cruises. Just look for the listings for the same date that does not have the coding

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thank you. I hope this doesn't sound ignorant nor offensive, but with all of these charters, is it safe to say that the passengers will likely be an older crowd? I don't know why that's my presumption but it is. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Ahhh, I see. Thanks, Curt. I should have been able to figure out that those were airport codes.

Looks like I'll be sailing with a bunch of Canucks. Canadians can party! :cool:

Ya should be a good time.

FRMPEI who psts here fairly regularly was on one of the "test" Charters in the 2013/14 Season... He said it was an excellent time. Believe he's booked in again for this winter.

Program has much expanded this year... So a lot of folks on the Caribbean Cruises will be partying with Canadians this year.

Lol, let's hope that Celebrity has stocked up on Clamato... And Canadian Whiskey. Cause they are certainly going to go thru a lot.

Cheers!

Thank you. I hope this doesn't sound ignorant nor offensive, but with all of these charters, is it safe to say that the passengers will likely be an older crowd? I don't know why that's my presumption but it is. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Probably a fair Question... In that Organized Trips / Chartered Trips are often associated with Retirees.

But I think when it comes to this line up, it won't be the case.

First Celebrity highly markets themselves here now to a rather sophisticated somewhat affluent Traveller in their mid 30s and up...

And although everyone thinks of the Canadian Snowbird as a Retiree who spends months in Florida (or Arizona) ... In actuality a good many of us... Young thru Elderly do some sort of Southern Getaway in the Winter Months (a week or two... Once or twice a season)

Part of that comes own to the fact that we get more vacation time than our US Neighbours... Most of us getting a MINIMUM of 2 weeks Paid Vacation Time Annually (by legislation) and many others getting much more than that (accruals depend on how long you've been with a Co or in your chosen career / negotiated). Not really uncommon to find folks with 3, 4, 5, or more weeks Paid Annual Leave here

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I don't see why this would be an older crowd :rolleyes:. The dates cover many school holidays so I'm sure there will be families with kids too.

Many Canadians book all-inclusive land vacations to warmer climates. Celebrity has wisely put together packages that basically amount to all inclusive and super easy to book cruises. Instead of trying to figure out all the details you can just book the package. No worries of missed connections and how to get to the ship. A chartered plane will leave one city with a few buses waiting at the other end.

A direct non-stop flight will whisk you away without the worry of price, connections, lost luggage etc. Plus these charters serve food and booze like in the old days......

I'd be surprised if Celebrity doesn't follow this model eventually from certain cities in the USA too.

MONICAJAY makes a good point on School Breaks...

In Canada individual School Boards set when their Winter Break will be... So it can vary greatly Province to Province (anywhere from Late January thru to March or April)

These Charters are going out of 4 Provinces... Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick & Nova Scotia. So there will indeed be many weeks where there could be a good number of families in the mix depending on where they live

And ya, the Air portion of these Charters should be great... Complimentary Drinks, Meal & Headsets. Some nice sweet pampering to kick off the Celebrity experience

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thanks for the insight and for not taking offense to my question. A non-stop flight with food and booze provided by the cruise line seems like a great deal! I hope they roll that out to us West Coasters in the near future.

No offense taken. Lots of younger people from Canada too.

Found this from the Ottawa newspaper:

Celebrity Cruises has hired Canadian North to provide nonstop charter flights from Ottawa to Miami on Boeing 737 planes. You leave Ottawa shortly after 7 a.m. on Saturday or Sunday, are in Miami by about 11 a.m., then transferred by bus to the boat, for departure that afternoon. Return flights and bus transfers are one week later.

"I had the opportunity to survey passengers last winter and they loved Canadian North," says Barker. "The service was outstanding and they loved that everything was included, for less cost than if you booked your flights and airport transfers yourself. Consumers appreciate the one-stop shopping." Barker said the packages have attracted "higher end" cruisers from 35 to 60 as the core market, but says she saw everything "from families and couples to grandparents" on the flight-cruise package she took last winter.

Prices start at $1999.00 pp CAD all included

Edited by monicajay

I was checking the prices of my sailing and noticed a bunch of theses options below. Does anyone know what they mean?

SI Canada (YHM) Charter Bng Pkg

SI Canada (YOW) Charter Bng Pkg

SI Canada (YQM) Charter Bng Pkg Western

SI Canada (YXU) Charter Bng Pkg

SI = Sports Illustrated?! :D

Myself and my family are on the March 1 trip out of New Brunswick. It is our school break and this will be our first cruise ever. One of the best ideas yet and affordable. The plane is sold out for March 1.

We're on the March 15th out of our home city London Ontario. Terrific idea by Celebrity; we don't have to drive 2 hours to fly out of Toronto. The only aspect of 'charter' is the air/port transportation...cabins are still assigned according to your choice of category. Other pluses are grats/drink package included as well as air. I can see X expanding this to the US and other Canadian cities.

Not sure what what you consider 'older' but I booked this while on board last week - the April 4th out of Halifax Nova Scotia (YHZ) on Reflection. Figured I'd wait and see if price the same while on the Summit and if same I would get added bonus of OBC for booking there an the price was EXACTLY to the dollar the same I was quoted when I called before. I'm under 60 and we'll leave it at that LOL

And as others have said, the charter here is just a subset of the ships passengers and would anticipate it's just plane capacity and the rest would be passengers bookings by any other means.

So, cruise with direct flight with perks (nightmare last week with storm and flight transfer in Newark :eek:) with no pre or post hotel needed, transfers looked after and drinks and gratuities part of the deal ... I'm in. Also, getting additional 150 OBC for booking on board ... woo hoo.

I'll add too that another couple who has never sailed, hardly travelled, had been considering a cruise and this made that an easy decision for them by removing a lot of the headache. Knowing that before sailing last week, I also booked for them while on board and they got the 150 OBC too so that is $$ that is truly a bonus for all of us.

Can't wait.

Edited by poffles

Last week, I tried to book one of these for February, leaving from London, Ontario, and they were all sold out - the only date left was end of March.

From what I've heard, these charters are very popular; small wonder, it's truly all-inclusive and all the details are taken care of. I'll certainly try to book it earlier next year.

Would love for =X= to supply charter flights from the West Coast. I'm guessing they'd be very popular. Are you listening Celebrity?

Betsy

This is first time from Atlantic Coast so maybe you guys are next. Ontario have been the lucky to have had them last year and assume must have been a hit to have expanded down my way. I think the added pain I am growing to dislike about a hotel night before in case of storm and missing ship is having to unpack essentials for that one night and having to pack again .. ugh.

Would love for =X= to supply charter flights from the West Coast. I'm guessing they'd be very popular. Are you listening Celebrity?

Betsy

This is first time from Atlantic Coast so maybe you guys are next. Ontario have been the lucky to have had them last year and assume must have been a hit to have expanded down my way. I think the added pain I am growing to dislike about a hotel night before in case of storm and missing ship is having to unpack essentials for that one night and having to pack again .. ugh.

Maybe we'll get some Molson or Labatt on board! Those are a treat here in the SW.

OMG I wish Labatt and/or Alexander Keith's ! After while the Coors and Bud get a little distasteful but I 'force' myself to try one more (and one more .. and one more) :)

We were on the April package last year from Hamilton Ontario. I was somewhat apprehensive as I had not even heard of Canadian North before our cruise. We have been on many Celebrity cruises in the past but not the airline. The airline is excellent. The direct flights the meals and drinks the service were fantastic. Last year they only offered it out of Hamilton and Ottawa. The response was so good they expanded it this year. Hamilton was sold out for all sailings months ago. They (Celebrity) said that response was excellent and the passengers were more than pleased with the product. That is why they expanded the offer to more places. I would hope that they expand it to other Western Provinces and American States. Who knows it may have been an experiment to see how a package like that would sell. I am sure that they will repeat it again next year at least here in Ontario.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on the April package last year from Hamilton Ontario. I was somewhat apprehensive as I had not even heard of Canadian North before our cruise. We have been on many Celebrity cruises in the past but not the airline. The airline is excellent. The direct flights the meals and drinks the service were fantastic. Last year they only offered it out of Hamilton and Ottawa. The response was so good they expanded it this year. Hamilton was sold out for all sailings months ago. They (Celebrity) said that response was excellent and the passengers were more than pleased with the product. That is why they expanded the offer to more places. I would hope that they expand it to other Western Provinces and American States. Who knows it may have been an experiment to see how a package like that would sell. I am sure that they will repeat it again next year at least here in Ontario.

Glad you had a good experience with this. I stumbled upon one review where they did this out of Hamilton last year and they said there were things that could use improvement (at least from what they experienced). Mostly with regard to not having clear representation/direction when the got to Miami airport and then again when they arrived at the port. Apparently people were a little lost as to where they were supposed to go from point A to B. Assume that any shortcomings would long ago be worked out by now and not shocking to find a few bumps along the way. I think the challenges may fall to the fact that Celebrity itself would not handle all the services themselves along the way as they would be others filling these needs.

Would welcome hearing more of what you thought about the trip and the handing off from one place to another - ie plane to transfer to ship. And also what time your flight left Hamilton and what time you stepped onto the ship.

Edited by poffles
wording

Yes some of the points you mentioned did happen to so people. When we arrived at the airport in Hamilton 10 minutes from our house( made me happy ) at 545 there was no one at the ticket counter. There were around 20 people ahead of us. The First Lady in line fainted and there was a lot of commotion due to this. The EMS was called but she refused to go to the hospital. (As it turned out she was fine fir the rest of the trip) After things calmed down things progress well. There were two ticket takers and we were out in row 3 which was a nice location. We departed at 0800 and arrived in Miami at 1045 they told people on our flight where to go and what to expect once we got there.

Canadian North due not have a regular terminal at the airport that say Air Canada or West Jet have. So we had to go from terminal to the others which was somewhat of a walk. Wheelchairs were provided fir a few people who required them. One we go to the other terminal we had to go through customs like we could do in Toronto pre boarding. Or clear customs at the bridge when we fly out of Buffalo. It would be nice if we could pre clear customs in Hamilton but I do not think that will happen.