Euros

charvella

It depends where you're going to be when you want to change the money. In the UK, you should have no problem and any bank will change notes or travellers cheques on demand. Airports have bureaux de change on arrival too and many of them promise to give the same rate as the banks. Don't buy any extras they offer, such as a guarantee to buy back unwanted notes without commission. Hotels will change money but will charge an arm and a leg. Spain is also generally OK, especially in tourist areas.

In much of "continental" Europe, even Euro-denominated travellers cheques are not widely accepted or very bureaucratic to change, despite what the people selling you the travellers cheques told you when you bought them. Dollar-denominated travellers cheques can be even worse. Dollar notes are widely accepted, especially in tourist areas, but shop around for rates and count the Euros you get carefully before leaving the counter. When checking rates, watch out for small print about commission - sometimes, the rate looks great, but there's a 3% commission to deduct. A no-commission rate may be better value.

When I travel to "the continent" (from the UK), I take as much cash in Euros as I feel comfortable plus several kinds of plastic. I never use travellers cheques.

What we ususally do is use ATM machines and our visa/mastercard/amex cards. Then we can get what we need when and where we need it. ATM machines are just about everywhere, and their rates are no worse than most other means. I hope this helps.

I agree with jgibbs about the Traveler's Checks. When we spent a couple weeks in Italy last summer, we had purchased (purchased!)thousands in Euro-denominated traveler's checks. They were impossible to use. Every restaurateur, hotelier, etc... did not want them. Eventually we went to an American Express office and converted them back to cash. It was a pain in the you-know-what. I gave my daughter US denominated traveller's checks for a trip to New York, because she is not overly responsible with cash. She had troubles cashing them - my sister ended up paying for things, and I paid back my sister, and cashed in the traveller's checks at another loss.

Net... I will never buy traveller's checks again. Merchants don't like them.

I use dollars. Every port I've been to in the past two years has accepted dollars. I just keep the conversion in my head, and pay in dollars. If it's a big purchase, they have always accepted credit cards. You can change your dollars for smaller denominations on board the ship, at reception. I would think, if it's a European itinerary, they will do the same with Euros.

Wait until you're on board to change dollars to Euros. See if you really need to.

Thank you...jgibbs and meow. That is great information about the Euros.

Have either of you flown into Venice for a cruise? How far is the Port and is the transportation to the Port all on land?

Silver Whisper

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;7;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

We just went on a Barcelona to Venice cruise on Oceania's Regatta in April. From where our ship docked in Venice, we had to take a water taxi to San Marco Square (which was the main tourist area) where our hotel was. It was 70 euros from the pier to the hotel (about half an hour), and another 90 euros by water taxi between San Marco and the airport.

If you do stay in San Marco, you'll find out that the only modes of transportation is on foot or by boat, no cars at all! Actually, the water taxi docked at the front door of our hotel!

If you're going directly to the ship from the airport, just take a land taxi. The distance is only about 6 miles, and taxis can drive into the cruise terminal. For more information, see these articles:

Venice Cruise Terminal

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal.htm

Venice Marco Polo Airport

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/marco_polo_airport.htm

Venice Airport Boat

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_boat.htm

Note: You don't need a water taxi to reach the ship, and a water taxi is slower (not to mention more expensive) than a land taxi. Still, the ride can be fun, and the view of the lagoon from a speedboat is certainly more interesting than the view of Venice's mainland suburbs from a taxi.

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

• 2 weeks later...

For God's sake. Buy your euros anywhere. Use your credit card for any big stuff. There's NOTHING to spend your money with on the boat - unless your daft enough to buy premium wine - and keep a handul of cash for the few hours your off-ship for the odd tip and beer.

If you can afford Silversea - you shouldn't be agonising about where to buy Euros. And I mean that in a nice and caring way.

"We will delete!" "We will delete!"

uk2.4

UK1.....

We need Euros to pay the person who is picking us up in Venice, Civitavecchia, and doing 3 tours in Rome with. That is why I was asking.

And, not having been to Europe since 1978, am not familiar with Euros. Your response made me feel like a fool for asking the question. I thought these Boards were for obtaining information you do not know anything about.

Well, I'm sorry - but to be honest - I don't think you'll find much more of a spread than a percent or two. Also surely if you're getting the cash to pay these people - you'll know what you're paying them - so you're the very best person to decide the best denominations.

How would someone else advise you what denominations to take?

If you are genuinely concerned about what denominations to take - than why not contact the tour people in each country and ask them their preferences. Then you'll know for sure.

uk2.6

Buying Euros in the U.S. is one of the most expensive ways to do it, and I would recommend against it. Likewise, avoid travelers checks.

It is far more economical to use your ATM card at the airport, get what you need to get into town, and then get additional cash using your ATM card, if you even need it, once you arrive at the actual destination. The bank rates are the cheapest, far better than changing dollars into Euros.

The best exchange rates, consistent with UK1's comments, are actually given to credit card purchases, so rather than getting loads of cash, try to make your onshore purchases using a major credit card.

And UK1: my only disagreement with your earlier post is that although one may be able to afford to cruise on Silversea, there is no reason why one can't also get the best rate on currency. Saving money is never a bad thing, particularly when you know better!!!

Regards,

bldsld

I agree with bldsld. Using the ATM would be the most convenient. Also, if you use your credit card rather than cash for purchases, you have the added protection from your credit card company. If something goes wrong, there is recourse. Cash from ATMs can cover taxi rides and incidentals. Thank you.

If you were buying about 500 US Dollars in Euros, how would you get your denominations? Larger bills or a combination of all?

Avoid the very large Euro bills (200/500). These have been widely counterfeited and many merchants will not accept them. I usually choose to have 50s.

I have NEVER had $US greenbacks declined. For bigger purchases, put them on a credit card and for smaller transactions, a beverage, a cab ride, a trinket souvineer, dollars will work. If you absolutely MUST have Euros, get a $100 or so worth at any ATM.

Archived