Hurricane Katrina

vicocala

Our thought and prayers are with all in Katrina's path. We survived Charley last year. It was HORRIBLE! If you are in the cone and near the coast PLEASE escape while you can. Your possesions are worth nothing compared to your life. Most everyone we know lost much. We survived the storm and it was terrifying! The weather people know what they are talking about.

Prayers are with all of you in the path of this monster :( This is truly frightening... already at 175MPH and could strengthen... please get out of harms way if you can. This is just the worst possible scenario... :(

Praying for Louisana. I hope everyone is heeding the advice of the officials. This looks like one of the Big Ones. I am suppose to leave out of there on the 19thof Sept., on the sensation. driving to slidell on the 18th and staying the night just heard from the electric officials on fox it might even take months for electricity , now I am really nervous. I hope everyone rides through this safely >I will continue to pray for you guys.

You will likely be driving to Galveston... the Port will likely be closed for months. This is going to be catastrophic :( A storm this size hitting an area above sea level would be tragic, hitting an area below sea level.... my heart just breaks for everyone there... I know many people can't leave... and I know some people (DAN!! :mad: ) won't leave... I just hope a miracle happens and this thing weakens, but not looking likely at this point...

My Dad worked for FEMA (which actually back then was HUD) when Camille hit Mississippi and I have heard stories my whole life about that hurricane. This storm is now stronger than Camille! Talked with Dad last night and he stated this will be devastating to New Orleans if they take a direct hit, which seems highly likely. Already talk of storm surge overflowing the levy system. This is just unfathomable. Our thoughts and prayers are definitely with all the folks of Louisiana and Mississippi.

We stopped at New Orleans on our honeymoon cruise and it was such a fun day. The fact that one of the ports was New Orleans was was of the main reasons we chose that cruise. I will always have fond memories of our day there. It's such a neat city and I just hope for the best for everyone in the storms path.

My wife, mother-in-law, and a friend of theirs are on the Sensation. Carnival called me yesterday morning and asked me to relay a message that the ship was planning on departing an hour early. I talked to my wife after they had boarded and she said things were going well, but a little 'jumbled up' as the crew was rushing to get things ready faster than normal. Rooms weren't quite ready yet and the dining rooms were not open, but these were only minor inconveniences.

My wife, mother-in-law, and a friend of theirs are on the Sensation. Carnival called me yesterday morning and asked me to relay a message that the ship was planning on departing an hour early. I talked to my wife after they had boarded and she said things were going well, but a little 'jumbled up' as the crew was rushing to get things ready faster than normal. Rooms weren't quite ready yet and the dining rooms were not open, but these were only minor inconveniences.

PatnJudy - did you receive any information about where the Sensation will disembark? I've heard that the Conquest will be going to Galveston. Please keep us informed if you hear anything. Thanks!

PatnJudy - did you receive any information about where the Sensation will disembark? I've heard that the Conquest will be going to Galveston. Please keep us informed if you hear anything. Thanks!

I'm guessing everything will be out of Galveston for a while...

Until the storm passes, Texas. After, depends on what is left, where. Gulfport has handled the Conquest before.

With the path of this storm, as predicted, I doubt Gulfport will be handling any ships for a while either.

God hlep the people on the LA/MS coasts. :(

The Conquest was scheduled to get back today so Galveston is for sure for it. I think it all depends on how badly NO is hit whether even next weeks cruises embark/disembark. I'm just wondering if my car is going to still be there (it's in the terminal parking enclosure). But that's what insurance is for.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS La

1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED...

.HURRICANE KATRINA...A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL. PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE KILLED.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE CERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.

ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTURE OUTSIDE!

That is the scariest thing I have read in a very long time :( Now I see why FEMA indicated that casualties could be 40-60K from this storm... it's going to be catastrophic... this is horrible. I do hope that most people heed the warning and at least go to a shelter... They said even at landfall, it is expected to be 170MPH... May God bless all those in the path of this deadly storm :(

FEMA is now saying that there could be over 1 million people displaced living in camps after this storm :( Considering that Andrew has 200K and we all thought that was incredible, it really puts things in perspective. Here in NC we STILL have people living in FEMA camps from Hurricane Floyd, and that was 6 years ago and nothing compared to this one :(

Has anyone heard from passengers aboard the Holiday? Carnival website says it will now delay until Wednesday its return to Mobile (2 days late). Where are they presently waiting out the hurricane? Is food readily available to the passengers? I have 7 friends aboard for their first cruise and would appreciate any info that you may have...

Has anyone heard from passengers aboard the Holiday? Carnival website says it will now delay until Wednesday its return to Mobile (2 days late). Where are they presently waiting out the hurricane? Is food readily available to the passengers? I have 7 friends aboard for their first cruise and would appreciate any info that you may have...

There is no shortage of food or booze on any cruise ship. Holiday looks like it is cruising off the coast of Cuba.

The Imagination was low on food the other day, just certain things. I'm sure the Holiday is running low on some things, but Carnival can have food and other necessary items flown in if they have to... don't worry, Carnival will make sure they are safe, and fed...

Archived