New to Celebrity - Some questions!

OfTheSeasCruiser

We've sailed mostly on Royal Caribbean, but also Princess, NCL, and Carnival, and overall prefer Royal. But due to a great Greek Isles itinerary on the Celebrity Equinox, I decided to look into Celebrity.

How does Celebrity compare to Royal Caribbean on a Europe Cruise? And if anyone has sailed on the Royal Caribbean Radiance Class, how does the Equinox compare? Also, how does service compare? (We think service on Royal is great).

I've read things about Celebrity being quieter, which is fine, but are there things going on after about 10pm? Such as themed parties, like Royal's 70's themed party?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

We love Celebrity. I will admit that there is not a lot going on late night as compared to our sailing on Royal. We think he service is better on Celebrity, and feel that the make-up of the guests is a little older. Celebrity does not have all of the bells and whistles, rock climbing walls, ice skating, surfing, etc, but provides an excellent cruise experience

There are things going on after 10pm but I found that most of the time the events were fairly quiet. I just sailed on the Equinox and there was a masquerade dance, 70's party, classic rock concert by the pool and one night they turned the indoor pool area into a "liquid lounge". There is a nightclub but it was almost always empty. I've also been on the Silhouette and for whatever reason that sailing was filled with party animals and the parties were well attended.

Thanks for your replies.

Also, just thought of another question. How formal is formal night? Does mostly everyone follow the suggested dress code, or do some just decide to do what they want?? (I'm not one of those people, I love formal night. ;))

So far I'd agree with much of the advice you've received. We've sailed from Istanbul which is a great port to sail from, with good airfare. Please note, while Rome is a good place to visit pre-cruise it is 90 minutes from the port. Barcelona, Venice, and Istanbul are easier, but this would not stop me from booking a good itinerary out of Rome.

I would avoid dress code questions here at all cost to avoid having this thread go off topic, there is a sticky on the top of this board that you can read that discusses all of the dress code questions you could have. That being said, I can't bit my tongue, so here goes. Formal nights will be more formal on Celebrity than Royal, and the more Brits you have, the dressier it will be. You'll see more tuxes and dark suites than the Caribbean, but you'll still have some in jackets, and a few who won't participate. Reporting of enforcement is very varied.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We have cruised seven times on Celebrity and five on NCL. We prefer Celebrity.

Never done Royal, since we like the Celebrity itineraries a lot more. Also, don't like the huge ships.

Celebrity's ships are a reasonable size and don't seem crowded. Our least favorite ship was the NCL Epic (4300 passengers) and it always seemed crowded.

like them better than Royal. Celebrity recognise that you are at sea in warm weather and keep outdoor bars open, the Sunset bar doesn't close until after 1am. The Martini bar stays open until approx 1am to 2am and sometimes they have still been going at 3am. The nightclub is open but not very busy.