Prinsendam's Windmills & Waterford Cruise

jhannah

Jim, I noticed that you'll be in Kirkwall towards the end of your cruise. We were there maybe 20 years ago and loved the old castle.

Also, if you still have any choice in your shore excursions, there is an absolutely wonderful pre-historic settlement called Skara Brae. I would absolutely not miss that one. There are a few others in the area between Kirkwall and Stromness, but Skara Brae was our definite favorite.

susana.

The salmon on the menu 2 weeks ago on the Prinsendam was actually quite mild. Each evening, they would offer 2 types of salmon in addition to the regular menu. Each time I had it, it was delicious!:D

Jim- Thanks for the continuing report!

Calm seas and blue skies!:D

Hello, Jim! Enjoying your "live" reports, and glad you and your DW are having a great time.

CruiseOften - thank you for posting the itinerary.

Ine - I got chill bumps reading about you and your DH waving to the ship from your home ...unbelievably thoughtful of you!!!

Stormyc, we love to do that. We live rather close to the Northseacanal, it is a great way to see some beautiful cruise-ships (and wishing we could be on board).

DH has quite a collection of cruise-ships photos, all taken in the Canal. Also going to the locks, see it sailing into and out of it, to be able to stand so close to a ship is great. Yes, we love to travel, be it by ship, plane or (rental) car.

We have 2 US trips coming up soon, next year a Hawaii cruise.

Obriendan, glad you could use the Rotterdam link. Totally different city then Amsterdam, but it has his charms too.

Jim, as far as I can see the weatherreports from here, you are up for some beautiful days.

Have a great time.

The salmon on the menu 2 weeks ago on the Prinsendam was actually quite mild. Each evening, they would offer 2 types of salmon in addition to the regular menu. Each time I had it, it was delicious!:D

Jim- Thanks for the continuing report!

Calm seas and blue skies!:D

I'd never actually thought about salmon and where it came from until, in a what I can only call 'a very high priced place', I was asked which salmon I wanted - I had to ask "what are my choices" - the reply, "BC - Norwegian and Scottish" - well, only one way to find out - sample each. That I did - BC salmon was fine; Norwegian was, I thought, a bit 'oily'; Scottish tasted like the salmon I'd enjoyed in a 5 star hotel in London, UK.

Seems there's something in Scottish rivers (where salmon thrive) that's not present anywhere else in the world.

I look forward to your reports on upcoming ports.

Jim, I'm really enjoying your reports. Keep them coming! That itinerary is one I'd like to cruise one day. I'm curious, would you mention what the daytime temperatures are at this time of year?

Ine, the pictures are wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

Oh, one more thing ...

It's interesting that our bathroom amenities have changed. Maybe it's been this way a long time, but it's new to me since our Zaandam cruise in the Spring. The soap, shampoo, body wash, and lotion are the very same eucalyptus products like we have gotten on Princess ships in the past, except there is no ship brand on the labels. Can't help but wonder if Carnival Corp. is moving to generic products across all brand lines. Anyone know? The products are fine. No complaints ... just wondering if anyone knows anything about this change.

I sure hope this isn't true for all the fleet -- I really love the "Royal Dutch' line of bath amenities, especially the hand/body lotion. Maybe I'll be able to stockpile it on our Nov 26th cruise on the Veendam!!

Maryann

Where are you Prinsendam Windmills and Waterford? I hope you are having a great time cruising round the British Isles. At least you are not in the Gulf of Mexico and in the path of Katrina. Looking forward to your next posts.

Whew! It's been a busy time, and that's good. We continue to have lovely, sunny days with temperatures in the low 70s for highs. Wonderful!

Ev, while I'd not call the salmon oily tasting, that might be the best way to describe it. More of that ''fishy'' flavor. But not strong or overpowering at all. They continue to offer it at least two different ways each evening. Doody and Three continue to take great care of us at dinner. They are very busy, but manage to be attentive. Sammy is our wine steward, and he's serving us well also.

Saturday we were in Dunmore East, Ireland. We took the wake & bake tour, and it is about the most enjoyable excursion we've ever had. We went out into the countryside just outside of Waterford and stopped at a thatched pub. Our first activity was the bake. We worked in teams and assembled our own dessert ... Irish bread pudding. We mixed everything together and put in in the ramekins for baking. No vanilla/rum or cinnamon ... so it was a bit different that what we usually have. (It was wonderful!)

We then walked across the road to a small train that took us along the river in open cars for about 45 minutes. The Irish countryside is breathtakingly beautiful. We sat with Karen and Bob (atseadaze) and have enjoyed running into them quite a bit during our excursions. (Interesting side note: they are at the same table as we are, 117. We are early, they are late.)

Next came the wake. They have a bedroom setup for a wake, with actors that are amusing. Also some songs and dance ... just as an Irish wake is supposed to be ... around the body of the deceased.

Lunch was Irish stew and Irish soda bread, and was finished with the bread pudding. Guinness was served, and it's much smoother than what we have in the U.S. They don't have to pasteurize it over here, and it just tastes different. After eating, a local singer entertained us, as did 3 sisters who did step dancing for us (think Riverdance.) I almost hated to go. It was really a unique experience.

The Waterford crystal factory was next, and it was enlightening to see the process of making that wonderful crystal. I can see why it costs so much. Some of the craftsmen have to apprentice 10 years AND go to art school before they can practice their craft.

Then it was back to the ship, dinner, and ''Showtunes'' presented by the Prinsendam cast. Great show, with some real showstoppers from Broadway musicals. I again must say how talented this troupe is. I understand this is the end of their company, so at the end of this cruise they will all split up.

Sunday was Liverpool. It was a very busy city. There were 3 festivals going on over the weekend. So we heard lots of music all over the city in every venue imaginable. We took the ''Footsteps of the Beatles'' tour. Enjoyed it very much. Saw all the places where they lived and played, Penny Lane, Strawberry Field, Sgt. Peppers, etc. Also the Penny Lane barber shop, bank, and shelter ''where a girl was selling poppies from a tray.'' (If you recall the song, you'll know what I mean.)

We had walked a good bit throughout the day, so we didn't attend the show last night. There was a singer who had come on board, and the violinist and comedian came back for some sets, too. But both of us were just plumb tuckered out! (In a good way, of course.)

Today we're in Dublin. We are doing the city on our own, taking the hop on-hop off bus around town. Our first stop was Trinity College and the Book of Kells, the oldest known hand-illuminated manuscript of the gospels. Dates to around 800 A.D. Will soon visit the Guinness Storehouse and the Old Jameson Distillery. (Don't think we're on a booze tour ... it's just that Guinness and whiskey are a large part of what is Ireland!!) ;)

That's it for now. More to come from the journeys of The Elegant Explorer.

Jim- Great to hear that you are enjoying the Prinsendam as much as we did!!:) It is a lovely ship and it sounds as though you are really enjoying Ireland!!

Thanks for the report! Calm seas and blue skies!!:cool:

Thanks for your descriptive report from Liverpool and Waterford. Baking your own bread pudding sounded pretty neat and the Wake must have been very funny. I wonder if you got any good deals on the crystal?????

The Cruise Planner had you in Dublin Sunday and Liverpool Tuesday, (Douglas IOM on Monday). and then back to Belfast on Wednesday. I guess they have to cruise around and criss cross the Irish Sea just to kill time as there really is no distance to travel between ports.

Enjoy the rest of the cruise and hope the weather continues to be nice and sunny.

I've touched on Dublin already, since I posted while there. We got around to most of the sites in town. The hop-on/hop-off bus is just Euro 12.50 each and is a great way to get around. We also visited the Dublin Castle, home of the Lord Mayor, and City Hall. HAL's shuttle between port and town center was $5.00 per person each way. That worked out great, as it's a fair piece between the two.

One thing I forgot to mention about Trinity College was visiting the Old Library. It contains 200,000 volumes. The stacks are three storeys high, and the room is 45 meters long. Very impressive.

Douglas, Isle of Man, (our Tuesday stop) is a fascinating place. A dependency of Great Britian (95% independent, as our guide put it,) it has it's own currency ... although the Pound is taken here. We went up to the Great Laxey Wheel, which is a water wheel built to pump water out of the lead mines. The wheel is 72' in diameter. I climbed to the top for a stunning view of Laxey town and the surrounding glens. Once we boarded our bus, a cloud came in, making it very misty and taking visibility down to nearly nothing. Timing was perfect! We visited an Anglican church that also serves as the Parliament for the Isle of Man. They convene each July 5th, and a member of the Royal Family -- sometimes the Queen herself -- attends.

Tendering was a real ride today. They had to suspend operations for about 20 minutes this morning because the seas were so rough. Our landing was beside seawall stairs. No dock, no platform, no nothing but steps. Water was sloshing onto the steps as we got off. My DW had her left foot soaked, but I didn't get any of it. Tendering out was easier, but crossing the breakwater was a real ride, too! I thought it was fun. My DW is not amused at such! ;)

Tonight is formal night 2 of 3, and a latin themed musical performance by the Prinsendam cast. We are visiting the Pinnacle tonight, and are looking forward to that.

Stay tuned. More to come from on board The Elegant Explorer.

What absolutely wonderful posts, Jim. Enjoying them so very much.

You are so generous to be sharing with us during your fabulous cruise.

Continue to enjoy.

.....(and I'm greedy enough to ask you to continue to post. :) )

I'm so very much enjoying your posts, Jim---both because the ports are familiar and your writing is bringing it all back to life.

Tell DW that she was lucky on The Isla of Man that getting her feet wet was her problem. When I needed to board the tender to return the tide was low. Very low. The step of the tender was at least five feet below that cement platform! We had to sit down and s-l-i-d-e to the bobbing boat. :eek:

I'd have been happy had the tide been high!

Ruth, I thought of you night before last when we dined in the Pinnacle. I had the chocolate volcano cake! (And you didn't! :D ) So yummy!

Belfast was fun to visit. We had a tour in the afternoon, so went into town on our own in the morning to walk around and see some sites. Tried to post from there, but the board was so slow I just gave up. We went out to the Ards Peninsula and enjoyed a time at a pub in Donaghadee. Irish coffee was served along with two breads. We were entertained by a troupe of girls from a local dance group who did step dancing. The youngest pair were 7, and all were so cute and talented.

We made a stop at the ruins of Grey Abbey with it's massive graveyard. Some tombstones dated back to the 1700s.

After arriving back onboard, I sat on our verandah for a while and looked at the dry dock right across the inlet where Titanic was built. Almost eerie to see it, knowing what was soon to come.

Thursday found us in Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, Outer Hebrides. Weather today was nearly perfect. High around 60, but partly cloudy to sunny and very pleasant. We were taken out to see the Callanish Stones and a black house. The stones have been dated to be some 4,000 years in age, making them older than Stonehenge. They appeared to be erected for worship purposes, as they resemble a Celtic cross when viewed from above.

Black houses were the norm for everyone in the area who crofted ... somewhat of a sharecropping arrangement. They were made of stone and overlayed with thatch and grasses. A peat fire in the middle kept things warm for the family in one end and the animals in the other.

The neighboring island of Harris is where the famous tweed is made. Of course purchase a couple of pieces was necessary while we were there. After a lunch of fish and chips in a local eatery and some walking around, it was back to the ship.

Tonight is our 3rd and last informal night. Tomorrow, Kirkwall. So long for now from The Elegant Explorer.

Laura - Jim's cruise doesn't go to St. Petersburg. He does go to St. Peter Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands, UK :) . More info on Guernsey here and here (or do a Google for "Guernsey").

Doug - Thanks for straightening me out! I was wondering about that after I posted... ;)

Jim - Thanks for sharing your cruise with us! It has been a real treat to catch up with you now that I am able to access the boards a bit better. :)

Ruth, I thought of you night before last when we dined in the Pinnacle. I had the chocolate volcano cake! (And you didn't! :D ) So yummy!

Funny, I think I hear a Na-na-na-na-na-na. Nah. Couldn't be.

As I post this I'm eating Belgian chocolate that O'briendan and his lovely wife Barbara gave me.

So there! :p

I took that exact tour in Stornoway last year. I'd kind of forgotten about it; thanks for refreshing the nice memory.

Where are you Prinsendam Windmills and Waterford? I hope you are having a great time cruising round the British Isles. At least you are not in the Gulf of Mexico and in the path of Katrina. Looking forward to your next posts.

Itinerary in post #18

I'm happily following along and wishing we were on board.

:)

We pulled into port on an absolutely fabulous morning. Yesterday the locals said there was rain, and earlier in the week they had gale-force winds. But today could not be more perfect. High only about 60 degrees and sun, sun, sun.

We experienced a first. We docked, yet the tenders ran. Why? Well, this was supposed to be a tender port, but we ended up berthing at a dock. The dock is a mile and a half from town center. School is in session, and there aren't all that many busses in Kirkwall anyway to provide shuttles, so the ship ran tenders to the dock at town center.

We toured in the A.M., visiting Skara Brae, a neolithic village discovered when a sand dune was removed by wind. Very interesting to see how people lived some 5,000 years ago. We also visited the standing stones of Stennes and the Ring of Brodgay. Amazing to see what the ancients did without the modern technology we have available to us.

After returning to ship dockside, we grabbed a quick bite in the Lido and headed down for the tenders to go back ashore. The town of Kirkwall is really fascinating and most enjoyable. A very comfortable "kinder, gentler" way of life here. We visited St. Magnus Cathedral, Bishop's and Earl's Palaces, and a local museum. After a bit of shopping (obligatory for the DW) it was back to the ship to chill a bit before dinner.

Observation regarding photographers -- The photographers on this sailing are a really nice bunch. They aren't agressive in the least, and I very much appreciate that. They are standing at the bottom of the gangway if you want your photo made, but I don't feel as "assaulted" as I have in the past when getting off the ship. Thanks! On the other hand, never in my life have I seen so many photos with the subjects off-center and the tops of heads cut off. That's right. We had it on some of ours, and it's in many pictures on display. The tops of heads (usually the gentleman, since he's taller) are just off the paper. I've never seen that before.

Tomorrow is a short day in Invergorden. We will visit Loch Ness. Maybe we'll see Nessie! :eek:

Sadly, this voyage is drawing to a close. It will be hard to leave, as this has been a most excellent sailing of The Elegant Explorer.

Jim,

I have really enjoyed reading your posts. It sounds like this cruise has been very enjoyable and that the weather has been very good. When you mentioned a booze tour my first thought was I have to get my DH to read your posts. I just might be able to get him on a cruise that features Guinness and whiskey. I am sure that Donna was happy that only 1 foot got soaked. I hope it didn't ruin her day. I would love to see the Waterford factory.

I hope you continue to have a wonderful journey.

Janice

We toured in the A.M., visiting Skara Brae, a neolithic village discovered when a sand dune was removed by wind. Very interesting to see how people lived some 5,000 years ago. We also visited the standing stones of Stennes and the Ring of Brodgay. Amazing to see what the ancients did without the modern technology we have available to us.

. . .

Tomorrow is a short day in Unforgotten. We will visit Loch Ness. Maybe we'll see Nessie! :eek:

Jim, I'm glad you got to see those three sites in the Orkneys. We spent two weeks there years ago and they are among the best of the British pre-historic treasures.

And don't fall into the lake. But I do remember that there is a wonderful castle, in ruins, along side.

susana.

Archived