My time dining/early seating

coopbax

We are sailing with another couple and they wanted the early seating for dinner and we prefer the my time dining. It's one half of the couples first time cruising and his better half wanted him to have the full cruise experience of the assigned seating for dinner. We prefer to be flexible and told them to book whatever they wanted--it's their vacation.

My question is--if they decide on one or two nights not to go to early seating, are they able to do the my time dining??

I still don't get the driver for assigned seating.

I hear over and over about having the same wait staff each night. OK, I do YTD, if I find a wait staff team that I enjoy, I just ask for them the next night. I have never had to wait more than a few (15) minutes. With assigned dining what happens if you don't click with your wait staff? It is not like you can change tables easily. Most tables are assigned.

Then there is the whole, you must arrive within 15 minutes of your assigned time. Yes you need to be on time. The staff have a system to get the table turned around for the next seating. However, sometimes I like to eat early and other nights late. Which is why I do YTD.

I am just happy to have a choice.

I still don't get the driver for assigned seating.

I hear over and over about having the same wait staff each night. OK, I do YTD, if I find a wait staff team that I enjoy, I just ask for them the next night. I have never had to wait more than a few (15) minutes. With assigned dining what happens if you don't click with your wait staff? It is not like you can change tables easily. Most tables are assigned.

Then there is the whole, you must arrive within 15 minutes of your assigned time. Yes you need to be on time. The staff have a system to get the table turned around for the next seating. However, sometimes I like to eat early and other nights late. Which is why I do YTD.

I am just happy to have a choice.

What is the answer to the Op's question in your learned opinion?

TIA

Exceptions can be made. Talk to the Maitre d' and usually when asking nicely with notice in advance, they can be accommodating.

What do they do if ATD is completely full and there was a wait list? They aren't going to deny people that are assigned to that dining room a place to eat because someone that has traditional dining decided to switch. While it may be possible, I wouldn't go in with that expectation.

Maybe they can do ATD and go to dinner the same time every night and request the same waitstaff if there's a possibility they may want to eat with you a couple nights? Just an idea.

We are sailing with another couple and they wanted the early seating for dinner and we prefer the my time dining. It's one half of the couples first time cruising and his better half wanted him to have the full cruise experience of the assigned seating for dinner. We prefer to be flexible and told them to book whatever they wanted--it's their vacation.

My question is--if they decide on one or two nights not to go to early seating, are they able to do the my time dining??

I whole heartily agree with you. After trying it on NCL Breakaway, we were in awe. Not bogged down to a schedule and LOVED it.

Did it on the Pride (Yuck) last week and loved it as much. Hopefully they will change their minds.

What do they do if ATD is completely full and there was a wait list? They aren't going to deny people that are assigned to that dining room a place to eat because someone that has traditional dining decided to switch. While it may be possible, I wouldn't go in with that expectation.

Maybe they can do ATD and go to dinner the same time every night and request the same waitstaff if there's a possibility they may want to eat with you a couple nights? Just an idea.

why not just go to the buffet on those nights?

It's simpler to make an accommodation for traditional -> anytime than anytime -> traditional. Our request has never been denied when given 24 hours of notice. There is an unlikely chance ATD will be filled to capacity unless the cruise is over a holiday or peak season when upper berths are filled and occupancy is over 100%.

Edited by Disconnections

It's simpler to make an accommodation for traditional -> anytime than anytime -> traditional. Our request has never been denied when given 24 hours of notice. There is an unlikely chance ATD will be filled to capacity unless the cruise is over a holiday or peak season when upper berths are filled and occupancy is over 100%.

Maybe. I have seen on a couple of my Carnival cruises where ATD was not available and I don't sail during holidays.

I just wouldn't go in expecting for them to make exceptions. If they do, great. If not, oh well.

why not just go to the buffet on those nights?

Sorry. To each their own. The buffet is for people that do not want to get out of their shorts, flip flops, wife beaters...etc.

I would much rather go to the experience of a restaurant than stand on line and SCOOP food out of a container.

Sorry. To each their own. The buffet is for people that do not want to get out of their shorts, flip flops, wife beaters...etc.

I would much rather go to the experience of a restaurant than stand on line and SCOOP food out of a container.

exactly--I think the food in the dining room is better and it's nice to be waited on.

I whole heartily agree with you. After trying it on NCL Breakaway, we were in awe. Not bogged down to a schedule and LOVED it.

Did it on the Pride (Yuck) last week and loved it as much. Hopefully they will change their minds.

The Pride food was Yuck?? Not happy to hear that :(

Actually--don't like Pride & Yuck in the same sentence.

Oh well--we'll make the best of it.

The Pride food was Yuck?? Not happy to hear that :(

Actually--don't like Pride & Yuck in the same sentence.

Oh well--we'll make the best of it.

No. Not at all. The food was actually excellent. It was the embark and debark that was YUCK. Hopefully, all will go well on your cruise.

We like early seating because it keeps our young ones on a fixed schedule, if they eat with us its at 6 and if they eat with camp carnival its also at 6.

We will feed the kids now and then at the lido but I agree with Susie and coopbax, much prefer the MDR and a nice, even long dining experience over any buffet.

On almost every cruise there is a waitlist for ATD so, to me, it is doubtful that your friends would be able to be added to it for a night or two. I don't know how things were before ATD became so popular, but it is far more popular than when some posters cruised on Carnival.

Nothing is impossible, I guess, but I wouldn't go with the idea that they would be able to change on a whim. JMO.

I don't get out of my shorts and still eat in the MDR when i feel like it, just not of elegant nights.:)

Bill

It CAN be done. Talk to the maitre'd and be flexible. I myself like assigned dining. On one cruise, friends were on board and had ATD. One night the husband was sick and had to skip dinner. My partner and I did not want our friend to dine alone so we spoke to the dining staff and arranged to all enjoy the YTD that night. We went late, around 8:30, and it was no problem. I recall the maitre'd explaining the later we came, the easier to work us in. This was on the CARNIVAL CONQUEST. Ask. The worst they can say is "no", but those who do not aks, do not get. I also tipped the maitre'd a little as a thank you.

You can also do the Lido buffet as a back up. I have found the same food from the dining room menu is usually served as part of the nightly buffet. I did this one night when I had to dine alone and enjoyed it very much. More that I thought I would. You could also consider doing the Steakhouse one night together, that is always good. Just know there ARE options.

Cheers!

What is the answer to the Op's question in your learned opinion?

TIA

Not sure how to reply to you? I am not sure if you were honestly asking for my opinion or if you were being sarcastic. Such are the trials of the typed word.

I provided my insight, I thought, that YTD can be just as nice as assigned dining and provided my reasons for my preference . OP will need to decided for themselves which of the two options will work best for their friends and them.

I've read on Cruise Critic that the food served for dinner at the Lido buffet is inedible nowadays. Apparently it is cold and tasteless, which doesn't sound very appetizing to me.

I'm on Cruise Critic and I'm going to say the opposite - the Lido buffet dinners that I've had were good, and hardly cold or tasteless. All of my cruises have been within the past year.

This cruise will be the first time trying ATD, since we are bringing our younger kids. Otherwise we have always done assigned times. I get how they would want to do the experience, with the staff entertainment and participation. I am guessing the earlier you go to ATD, or the later, like the other poster said, would probably work better than the main rush hour times.

Curious though....do they still do the little shows during ATD, or is that now just during the main assigned seatings? Wondering if our kids will miss out on this experience.