Caye Caulker--safe beach option??

coopbax

We will be on the Carnival Pride next month and the couple we are with are wanting to grab a cab and go to a beach. We have heard how unsafe Belize can be and were told not to go wandering around.

How about the water taxi to Caye Caulker?? Would this be a safe option??

Thanks for your help!!!

We will be on the Carnival Pride next month and the couple we are with are wanting to grab a cab and go to a beach. We have heard how unsafe Belize can be and were told not to go wandering around.

Thanks for your help!!!

Ok, there have been 140+ views on this question and there have been no comments, so nobody has any input to share on this?

Yes Caye Caulker is safe. I mean don't be stupid and flash your big diamonds, money clip or leave cell phones on the towel when you cool off in the water. The bar at the split is currently not selling alcohol, but I believe there are other options in that area. It is all about local politics. I live in San Pedro and go to Caye Caulker and walk around by myself without any fear.

Have a great visit.

Janice

Yes Caye Caulker is safe. I mean don't be stupid and flash your big diamonds, money clip or leave cell phones on the towel when you cool off in the water. The bar at the split is currently not selling alcohol, but I believe there are other options in that area. It is all about local politics. I live in San Pedro and go to Caye Caulker and walk around by myself without any fear.

Have a great visit.

Janice

Thanks Janice--I don't have big diamonds--the cell phone is turned off the minute we are on the ship and tossed in a drawer & i don't carry a money clip so all should be good :). We were also looking at Goffs Caye--which is basically a sandbar, correct?? From what i've read--the tour companies that get you to the beach are pretty good. The grilled lobster looks fabulous.

Coopbax,

In order to get to a nice beach in Belize, you're going to have to either do an excursion or take the water taxi to Caye Caulker. There's a small man made beach in Belize City about 15-20 minutes taxi ride from the Tourism Village, called Cucumber Beach. It 's used mainly by locals on the weekends and there are some other attractions there. Google "Old Belize" for information.

I think all the brouhaha over "safety" comes from cruisers who exit the Tourism Village and are immediately set upon by independent excursion hawkers. These folks can be a tad aggressive, but disappear within a block of the Tourism Village.

I will also mention that when we exited the tourist area and went towards the water taxi area, there was a very nice gentleman from another tour excursion operator who guided us to the water taxi, made sure we got the correct tickets, and a schedule of the return times. I found everyone in Belize genuinely nice and helpful. We tipped him of course for his help. I'm sure we could have found it just fine on our own, but being our first trip to Belize and with the kids, it was nice to have a local helping us out!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

water taxi to caye caulker is a great day, not so much beachy but beachy bar at the Lazy Lizard with great water views and drinks. For a nice beach experience take an excursion to Goff's Caye or another spot and either snorkel or just relax on the beach.

Consider Goff's through the ship as you are picked up and dropped off at the ship which gives you plenty of time to go into port after.

Edited by blue_water

Thanks for your help!!!

water taxi to caye caulker is a great day, not so much beachy but beachy bar at the Lazy Lizard with great water views and drinks. For a nice beach experience take an excursion to Goff's Caye or another spot and either snorkel or just relax on the beach.

Consider Goff's through the ship as you are picked up and dropped off at the ship which gives you plenty of time to go into port after.

I didn't see an excursion to Goffs through the ship

ok, may not be an option any longer...we did it through Carnival probably 4 years ago...

But Goff's is a nice little spit with a little beach and beautiful water. A gent was there selling shirts and gorgeous mahogany bowls.

One of the other island getaways may interest you more too...

Edited by blue_water