Fly in on the day? Or stay the previous night in SYD?

Our travel agent in Noosa also prebooked our seating times for the first two nights on November 3rd cruise. When we went to the dining room they didn't have our reservation. We got in fairly quickly though. After that we just went down to level 4 and were always seated within ten minutes.

We chose to sit with other people except on my birthday. It was lovely to dine with different people each night.

On our March 22nd cruise won't bother pré-booking. Just go to restaurant when we are ready.

• 5 weeks later...
Our travel agent in Noosa also prebooked our seating times for the first two nights on November 3rd cruise. When we went to the dining room they didn't have our reservation. We got in fairly quickly though. After that we just went down to level 4 and were always seated within ten minutes.

We chose to sit with other people except on my birthday. It was lovely to dine with different people each night.

On our March 22nd cruise won't bother pré-booking. Just go to restaurant when we are ready.

Hi Noosagirl, we are also on the 22 March Solstice cruise! There's a roll call going if you haven't seen it yet :)

Edited by LuckiePuris

Yes, it's definitely the OPT in Circular Quay.

We have My Time Dining and I have already pre reserved a table for 7:30pm. We sail out at 6:30pm.

We were eating dinner last time we left Sydney and I missed being on the deck watching it all go by. So I've deliberately planned time to depart and then wander up for dinner!

We're on the same cruise and done exactly the same thing. We ate at the buffet on the Spirit first night last time we cruised but decided to do the later dining time so we could wander down to the dining room once we get through the heads. Might see you there :)

I fly in on the day from Melbourne. But if it gives you peace of mind fly in the night before.

Cruise No. 30 coming up.

We fly in the same day, never had any problems.

As Sarah said, if it makes you comfortable, stay the night.:)

And we fly home the same day. :)

Edited by Aussie FF

Cruise No. 30 coming up.

We fly in the same day, never had any problems.

As Sarah said, if it makes you comfortable, stay the night.:)

And we fly home the same day. :)

I think it really depends on the port, it's city and where you live or are coming from in relation to that port.:D

Good idea to change the fly in to day before I think. LuckiePuris I have booked the rocks YHA based on recommendations on this site but have not stayed there yet.

Nickycat, after you have stayed there can you please come back here and tell us what its really like ?, thanks.

Nickycat, after you have stayed there can you please come back here and tell us what its really like ?, thanks.

Happy to, but it's not until June. We're staying 1 night pre and 3 nights post cruise in a private family room for 5

We used to have a direct Virgin flight ROK-SYD. It left here at 10.30am, which left it a bit tight. It's been discontinued now so now we swap over in BNE (that's where you could run into delays).

For regional travellers, unless you can catch the first (direct is best) flight out on cruise day, stay the night before the cruise.

Fog, cyclones, pilot strike, baggage handlers and unruly passengers on the flight can all cause delays...did I forget to mention Tiger?

We used to have a direct Virgin flight ROK-SYD. It left here at 10.30am, which left it a bit tight. It's been discontinued now so now we swap over in BNE (that's where you could run into delays).

For regional travellers, unless you can catch the first (direct is best) flight out on cruise day, stay the night before the cruise.

Fog, cyclones, pilot strike, baggage handlers and unruly passengers on the flight can all cause delays...did I forget to mention Tiger?

I wouldn't risk tiger ever.:(

I love Tiger. Never had a problem but I always play safe and fly in the day before. I agree they had issues a few years ago before they were temporarily closed down.

I have had more cancellations/delays with both Jetstar and Qantas than tiger, and I do fly a lot. At least every couple of months I am off on a plane somewhere.

I love Tiger. Never had a problem but I always play safe and fly in the day before. I agree they had issues a few years ago before they were temporarily closed down.

I have had more cancellations/delays with both Jetstar and Qantas than tiger, and I do fly a lot. At least every couple of months I am off on a plane somewhere.

I have been burned twice (cancellations but no refund only credit) and would not use them again unless there is no alternative.

Maybe I have just been lucky and perhaps my luck will run out. The worst delays I have had with Qantas and they have been very inflexible. I was once on a mid arvo flight Sydney to Melbourne with hand luggage only. My flight was delayed about 5 or 6 hours. In the meantime other scheduled flights did the syd to melb with empty seats but they refused to allow any of us who were delayed travel in them. I could understand if there was checked luggage involved but with hand luggage I think they were just been miserable. I pointed out that I wouldn't be asking to get on the flights if my scheduled flight had been on time!!!:)

Maybe I have just been lucky and perhaps my luck will run out. The worst delays I have had with Qantas and they have been very inflexible. I was once on a mid arvo flight Sydney to Melbourne with hand luggage only. My flight was delayed about 5 or 6 hours. In the meantime other scheduled flights did the syd to melb with empty seats but they refused to allow any of us who were delayed travel in them. I could understand if there was checked luggage involved but with hand luggage I think they were just been miserable. I pointed out that I wouldn't be asking to get on the flights if my scheduled flight had been on time!!!:)

Yes, luck may have been with you or against me, it wasn't so much about what happened but more about their reaction and the way they deal with it. When you have flights booked for nearly a year and then they cancel them, well that can happen to any one with any airline. But then refuse to allow alternate flight at the same price and refuse to refund (but only provide a credit) is just plain mean and tricky.:(

Edited by MicCanberra

I have about a 40-60% delay rate with them, often about 2 hours late.

They're okay, but you definitely are ill-advised to fly them without a fallback plan. And as a result, low down in my selection preferences.

Agreed, I really don't see how they could get away with that.

Tiger only have a few aircraft so cant just call up another aircraft and reschedule flights. Virgin and Qantas fly every 30 minutes on the very busy Syd-Mel run with Jetstar every hour. So lots to choose from there.

Cant understand why Tara Jane was not put on another flight. Virgin wil often put you on an earlier flight if space is available.

Jetstar has good inflight customer service. My daughter got upgraded to business class on the weekend because one passenger was being obnoxious and wanted the window seat.

Sydney had lousy weather today and it would have been very risky flying in for a cruise on the day. The airport has and does close during summer due to weather.

I take pity on the people trying to fly out of the USA today to try and meet up with cruises. Hopefully they have allowed plenty of time to get to there destinations.

Tiger only have a few aircraft so cant just call up another aircraft and reschedule flights. Virgin and Qantas fly every 30 minutes on the very busy Syd-Mel run with Jetstar every hour. So lots to choose from there.

Cant understand why Tara Jane was not put on another flight. Virgin wil often put you on an earlier flight if space is available.

Jetstar has good inflight customer service. My daughter got upgraded to business class on the weekend because one passenger was being obnoxious and wanted the window seat.

Sydney had lousy weather today and it would have been very risky flying in for a cruise on the day. The airport has and does close during summer due to weather.

I take pity on the people trying to fly out of the USA today to try and meet up with cruises. Hopefully they have allowed plenty of time to get to there destinations.

Certain times of the year, we always take the first flight out due to fogs here in Canberra, you never know when they will stay until 10am.:(

Tiger only have a few aircraft so cant just call up another aircraft and reschedule flights.

My comment wasn't at surprise about their shortage of aircraft, but about how they're not offering MicCanberra a refund when they can't fly the same day (as sounded to be the case). Alternatively it may have been that they offered an alternative flight the same day, but not at a near time, which is why they only offered a credit.

Edited by The_Big_M

My comment wasn't at surprise about their shortage of aircraft, but about how they're not offering MicCanberra a refund when they can't fly the same day (as sounded to be the case). Alternatively it may have been that they offered an alternative flight the same day, but not at a near time, which is why they only offered a credit.

Tiger had pulled out of Canberra (years ago now) and left us high and dry with no alternate flights later or the next day. No option but to fly Virgin or Qantas. The tickets were sale prices and therefore they claimed could not be refunded and only credited back.:(

I agree Mic that is totally unfair.

When tiger were flying to Canberra my friends and I scored flights for $15 each way from Melbourne. Had a great weekend in your city.

Thanks to cheap flights we have been able to do a lot of travelling, perth for $48 each way, Darwin $49, cairns $25 all opportunities that the average mum, dad, and 3 of 4 kids possibly wouldn't be able to do without those cheap flights. Of course if the airline lets you down that's another story, especially if you have accommodation etc booked.