Are You Allowed On Deck In Fog/Rain?

Leo Jay

Of course, I'm expecting perfect weather 99.9% of the time, but I do think it would be kind of cool to experience being out on deck out at sea in a bit of rough weather. For about 2 minutes.

:p

Do they even let you go out if it's raining?

Yes you may go out in the rain and fog, they may look at you funny tho. If the ship were in a serious storm they might close the outside decks. Never had that happen in 30 years of cruising, probably because they can see storms well in advance and steer around them. Have seen forward sections of weather decks closed in strong winds at nite.

Years ago, before we were all so safety paranoid [and litigation aware] we went thru a storm where the seas were so rough that water in the swimming pool was lifted up enmasse and thrown completely overboard. We watched this from under the cover of the closed Lido deck bar. Sometimes the pool water would slosh to the sides then smash back in the middle and splash 20-25 feet straight up. It was pitch dark so we could not see the size of the waves

The same conditions today might cause the decks to be closed.

Dan

When I was on my first cruise, we hit rough weather and they closed all decks. The wind and waves were horrible. My husband and I did go up to the Lido deck and hang out up there - because it was enclosed you could.

We have that sick sense of adventure. :D

Several years ago on the Paradise in the Eastern we experienced a storm and went through it. Wind and rain all day. An old lady and I were out on the back of the Lido deck for a few hours and no one else in sight. She was bundled in a coat and scarf, reading a book. I had a sweater on and also was reading. It was such a wonderful and peaceful experience. Enjoy the good and not so good weather.

Years ago, before we were all so safety paranoid [and litigation aware] we went thru a storm where the seas were so rough that water in the swimming pool was lifted up enmasse and thrown completely overboard. We watched this from under the cover of the closed Lido deck bar. Sometimes the pool water would slosh to the sides then smash back in the middle and splash 20-25 feet straight up. It was pitch dark so we could not see the size of the waves. The same conditions today might cause the decks to be closed.

Dan

We had these same conditions just this past May on our Alaskan cruise. The deck remained open. It was really fun to watch, especially as passersby would get unexpectantly soaked by the water sloshing out of the pool! They did close some of the very top decks due to the high winds, but not the Lido Deck.

Of course, I'm expecting perfect weather 99.9% of the time, but I do think it would be kind of cool to experience being out on deck out at sea in a bit of rough weather. For about 2 minutes.

:p

Do they even let you go out if it's raining?

I have been on deck of enough smaller boats that I don't give one fig about the outside or deck of a ship during inclement weather.

I was sailing one June in the Bahamas that the seas were so rough I was harnessed to the lifelines of the boat with a six foot lead.

I'll stay indoors dry and safe thanks. With a festive toddy.:D

Years ago, on the ELATION doing the Mexican Riviera, while moving from Mazatlan to Los Cabos across the mouth of the Sea of Cortez we had huge swells 15-25 feet and raging winds. To make it "worse" the Captain had to run at top speed to deliver an ill passenger to doctors in Los Cabos.

All the doors on deck 3 (Atrium deck ?) were locked, but I went up to the Lido and just watched this 70,000 ton ship slam into all that wind and water and it was absolutely EXHILIRATING ! ! Inside it was obvious that to many this would probably be their last cruise. Very messy. :rolleyes:

I would pay extra to have this happen again on my next cruise . . . :D

During our last cruise (April 2005) on Mercury we experienced big waves and wind going out of San Francisco. Captain asked everybody not to go to the open decks. (later they were closed) My son (before he heard announcement) went to the pool deck and so chairs flying around! One almost hit him.:eek:

We were on the Imagination in January of 2002. The ship leaves Miami on Thursday and is supposed to dock in Key West Friday morning. I love to watch them dock, so I got up early and went out on deck. The temperature was a very unseasonal mid-80's which combined with the cold sea water to make a really thick fog. Standing on one side of the deck overlooking the pool, you could not see the other side of the ship. You could hear fog horns from other ships all around us and everything was very calm, even the ship was stopped. It was neat in an eirieee kind of way.

The fog didn't lift after 2 hours, so the Captain decided to turn around and get to Cozumel a day early. We then got to hit Key West on the way home. It's a good thing he didn't wait any longer because the fog did not lift until afternoon according to the locals we met.

When we hit rough seas in the Gulf of Mexico on Conquest in July (the cruise that was extended a day because of Hurricane Dennis), the Deck 3 exterior doors were blocked so you could not go on that deck. It was pretty wet out there, so I don't think many would have tried anyway. (During calm weather, it's a great place to go.) Lido deck and the decks above were open, but the pools were drained. Decks 11 and 12 were windy - we went up there only to see if we could get cell phone reception.

Archived