Wang Wang (or something similar) no longer allowed?

Avril

I read about this drink here on the HAL boards a few times and it sounds really yummy (I like strong drinks)!! I've been really looking forward to trying it on my upcoming cruise. I have the SPB so I'm going to try as many new (to me at least) drinks as I can. :D However, I was just reading a review here on CC where the poster said that they no longer serve/are not allowed to serve that drink (maybe someone got too drunk with it and did something stupid?) onboard anymore. :( Is that true? I've been looking forward to trying it and would be really disappointed if I couldn't (not that it would ruin the cruise of course). I'm sailing on the Eurodam for New Years in that makes a difference.

Thanks!! :D

I read about this drink here on the HAL boards a few times and it sounds really yummy (I like strong drinks)!! I've been really looking forward to trying it on my upcoming cruise. I have the SPB so I'm going to try as many new (to me at least) drinks as I can. :D However, I was just reading a review here on CC where the poster said that they no longer serve/are not allowed to serve that drink (maybe someone got too drunk with it and did something stupid?) onboard anymore. :( Is that true? I've been looking forward to trying it and would be really disappointed if I couldn't (not that it would ruin the cruise of course). I'm sailing on the Eurodam for New Years in that makes a difference.

Order one from your bartender on EUDM

You probably mean the Weng Weng cocktail:

http://www.drinkswap.com/weng-weng.htm

This drink appears to have a single purpose and that is to get someone drunk quickly. Not really what I want to see happening on my next cruise.

Not sure you would think that this would taste great. It would be more like mixing the contents of my refrigerator together and calling it dinner.

igraf

Edited by igraf

You probably mean the Weng Weng cocktail:

http://www.drinkswap.com/weng-weng.htm

This drink appears to have a single purpose and that is to get someone drunk quickly. Not really what I want to see happening on my next cruise.

Not sure you would think that this would taste great. It would be more like mixing the contents of my refrigerator together and calling it dinner.

igraf

2 oz of booze will get someone drunk quickly:confused:?

Um, the one ( or three ) I had were stronger than that recipe. Each alcohol was probably a 2 oz pour in itself. Believe me I'm not proud of the fact that I can drink like a fish but those Wang Wangs kicked my butt. That's saying a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

Topped off with Pineapple, Orange Juice and a splash of Grenadine

Thanks for telling us how it's made. It's not the 2 oz thing but OMG what a combination! :p

LuLu

Thanks everyone!! :D Good to hear they're still around. 2oz isn't that much (for me). I usually drink Long Island Iced Teas on a cruise. :D Not sure how much booze is in those but I know it's quite a bit. Maybe it was just that particular ship that the person was on in the review I was reading that they're no longer allowed. I think it was the Westerdam.

Wonder why Westerdam would have banned them? :confused:

LuLu

"An onboard incident" was cited as the reason by two different posters (on different voyages).

Which is absurd because they'll still sell you long islands, shots, etc.

A friend introduced me to a Seven Seas Aviation on HAL but they have since taken it off the cocktail menu. Luckily some of the bartenders knew how to make it and the were happy to mix them up on our last HAL cruise (Eurodam)

I tried a Wang Wang and it was so-so.

Edited by Boytjie

According to POA1 on his recent thread, Wang Wangs are definitely still available.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't serve them. While the drink is 2 oz of liquor, about half of it is low proof liqueur. We had no problem getting one on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

c3c5688a286364be229c4c4f85735646.jpg

IMO the reason the Wang Wangs can become a strong drink is because the bartender has difficulty pouring 1/4 oz. portions of eight different liquors. The pours become larger and the Wang Wang is actually more potent than it's ingredients call for.

IMO the reason the Wang Wangs can become a strong drink is because the bartender has difficulty pouring 1/4 oz. portions of eight different liquors. The pours become larger and the Wang Wang is actually more potent than it's ingredients call for.

You say that like it's a bad thing *LOL*