Taking Grandma-Advise please

Most of your concerns have been answered; but embarkation and debarkation are another matter. If mom uses a cane the staff should give you priority boarding and may offer assistance. I think the smart thing to do is contact Carnival and explain your mom will need assistance. DW deals with the same issues but has injections every few months that really help and so far hasn't need a wheelchair. As far as activities,they have a special place for wheelchairs at the shows and the last few rows are reserved for physically challenged people. As far as activities she's enjoy; I suspect that would be the same as everyone else. A wonderful Christmas gift. You are very thoughtful and loving. Have fun.

We have not seen priority boarding for people who need assistance for some time now, maybe since FTTF started.

I see this hasn't been mentioned: You can have most doors on adjoining balconies opened if you ask your room attendant or go to the service desk upon boarding. This would give all of you easy access to each otheer without going into the hallway. What a wonderful surprise!

Sounds great! How did you grandmother react? I am so excited I want to tell her now that she is going and she will have a balcony. I am horrible at surprises! The above activities sounds great for her. In fact I might even try some of them...which I never do...

It was hard for us to keep this a secret, too! We made it until Christmas Eve. In our family, we get to open one present that night, and that was shen we told her about the trip. She cried. She was so happy and excited! She did express her concerns that she would "be a burden" on us due to her mobility issues, but that wasn't a concern that my sister and I shared. We knew what we were getting into when we planned the trip.

It was really fun to be able to take our Grandmother to the activities that she enjoyed. She felt special and pampered for the whole trip, which was the point. This was Grandma's trip!

In addition to the music and trivia, she liked Tea Time, people-watching, the champagne and art event, and watching us take part in the dance lessons. She would sit in the audience and cheer us on. Haha!

We coordinated with her on the type of room to book. We started with a HC cabin, moved to a modified cabin when we decided not to rent a scooter, then scrapped those plans all together and upgraded to a suite (that part was a surprise, though). We contacted the Special Needs department to make sure there were handle bars in the shower and near the toilet so that she'd have extra security there. But she mostly used the tub - she loves baths and didn't have to worry about slipping.

We also got her input on shore excursions. She was excited to return to Nassau and really enjoyed Ardastra, and Freeport was just a lazy day spent walking the port area and sipping wine on our balcony. In Port Canaveral, we surprised her with a trip to Disney World - she had always wanted to go back after our last family trip there over 20 years ago. We didn't tell her where we were going until the night before when we gave her some Mickey Mouse ears.

Some other pointers:

If you're renting a wheelchair or scooter through Special Needs at Sea, it will be waiting for you in the room when you board. You'll also need to leave it there on disembarkation day. Be sure to coordinate with Carnival on getting assistance should your Mom need help getting on and off the ship. The ramp in Bmore is ridiculously long and steep.

If you happen to be staying in a hotel the night before, Special Needs at Sea can the chair deliver there, so you'd have it for embarkation (you might need to drop it back off there, though). Just make sure to ask for help pushing the chair. The twin and I didn't and wished we had. We did get help during disembarkation - we had learned our lesson!

You can't do self-assist and get assistance with a wheelchair during disembarkation. So if you're flying, be sure to give yourself enough time so that you don't have to be rushed and stressed on your last morning.

That's all I can think of! I hope you all have a fabulous time! Let me know if you have any questions.

We have not seen priority boarding for people who need assistance for some time now, maybe since FTTF started.

Just had to say that I love your name, stargate fan! My sister and I LOVED the movie and the TV show. During our summer jobs, we would wear black tee-shirts and green cargo pants on casual Fridays - we loved the show THAT much!

Edited by Twin A

Here is where I need suggestions...She is 78 years old. She can walk slightly(arthritis in one foot) We booked her a room right next to us if there is a problem. Walking very short distances is ok. Do I get her a wheelchair for the ship just to be safe? Not sure if there is a specific room to accommodate this?

The "walking very short distances" is the comment that caught my attention.

We took my Dad, age 88, on a cruise. He did use a walker when outside the house but never inside.

We ordered a wheel chair from Needs at Sea thinking he would refuse to use it. By day two, mostly due to distances from the room to dining, show or where ever he wanted to go, he found himself tiring very easily and actually seemed to prefer being pushed around to the strain of walking, even if just pushing his walker.

The wheel chair also provided him somewhere to sit while at the shows without having to do stairs to available seating areas.

The cost was, I believe, around $75 - well worth our peace of mind even if he never used the wheel chair.

One other item, not mentioned, but you might want to consider taking a waterproof pad for the bed.

I also realized very quickly that my Dad was confused due to the change of location (he had just been diagnosed with early Alzheimer's two weeks earlier) and needed someone in the room with him to help allay confusion. I used a chair to block the door to the hallway and had a night light so he could find his way to the bathroom.

It was hard for us to keep this a secret, too! We made it until Christmas Eve. In our family, we get to open one present that night, and that was shen we told her about the trip. She cried. She was so happy and excited! She did express her concerns that she would "be a burden" on us due to her mobility issues, but that wasn't a concern that my sister and I shared. We knew what we were getting into when we planned the trip.

It was really fun to be able to take our Grandmother to the activities that she enjoyed. She felt special and pampered for the whole trip, which was the point. This was Grandma's trip!

In addition to the music and trivia, she liked Tea Time, people-watching, the champagne and art event, and watching us take part in the dance lessons. She would sit in the audience and cheer us on. Haha!

We coordinated with her on the type of room to book. We started with a HC cabin, moved to a modified cabin when we decided not to rent a scooter, then scrapped those plans all together and upgraded to a suite (that part was a surprise, though). We contacted the Special Needs department to make sure there were handle bars in the shower and near the toilet so that she'd have extra security there. But she mostly used the tub - she loves baths and didn't have to worry about slipping.

We also got her input on shore excursions. She was excited to return to Nassau and really enjoyed Ardastra, and Freeport was just a lazy day spent walking the port area and sipping wine on our balcony. In Port Canaveral, we surprised her with a trip to Disney World - she had always wanted to go back after our last family trip there over 20 years ago. We didn't tell her where we were going until the night before when we gave her some Mickey Mouse ears.

Some other pointers:

If you're renting a wheelchair or scooter through Special Needs at Sea, it will be waiting for you in the room when you board. You'll also need to leave it there on disembarkation day. Be sure to coordinate with Carnival on getting assistance should your Mom need help getting on and off the ship. The ramp in Bmore is ridiculously long and steep.

If you happen to be staying in a hotel the night before, Special Needs at Sea can the chair deliver there, so you'd have it for embarkation (you might need to drop it back off there, though). Just make sure to ask for help pushing the chair. The twin and I didn't and wished we had. We did get help during disembarkation - we had learned our lesson!

You can't do self-assist and get assistance with a wheelchair during disembarkation. So if you're flying, be sure to give yourself enough time so that you don't have to be rushed and stressed on your last morning.

That's all I can think of! I hope you all have a fabulous time! Let me know if you have any questions.

We are actually leaving Pride from Tampa-so there will be no hotels needed. We live in Tampa. Still not sure about what or if a chair will be needed or wanted for that matter. I just know she is too proud to need one. She would rather limp and walk slowly to her destination. I will explain everything to her after the surprise to let her know what to expect.

We also are platinum members so we will have priority boarding. I have yet to call the special needs department yet....but I will definitely do that. Thank you for your advise!

Thank goodness we are Platinum and have priority boarding. I cant stand the surprise any longer! I am caving.

Just the walking distance from check in to the cruise ramp is long and than to the room...uggg...not sure what she is going to want to do.

Most of your concerns have been answered; but embarkation and debarkation are another matter. If mom uses a cane the staff should give you priority boarding and may offer assistance. I think the smart thing to do is contact Carnival and explain your mom will need assistance. DW deals with the same issues but has injections every few months that really help and so far hasn't need a wheelchair. As far as activities,they have a special place for wheelchairs at the shows and the last few rows are reserved for physically challenged people. As far as activities she's enjoy; I suspect that would be the same as everyone else. A wonderful Christmas gift. You are very thoughtful and loving. Have fun.

Mom doesn't use a cane or anything. However, I do have a cane that I am going to see if she would like to use. That might help her a little. That is great to know regarding the last few rows being reserved. I never knew that.

You may be opening up a whole new world of accessibility and much less pain for her! Using a cane, or a walker for the first time is a huge step for people who thrive on independence. Then they see just how much bigger their world just got, and away they go! Go granny go!!!

Mom doesn't use a cane or anything. However, I do have a cane that I am going to see if she would like to use. That might help her a little. That is great to know regarding the last few rows being reserved. I never knew that.

I don't use a cane nor walker at home nor when doing errands either because I'm in control of when I can sit to relieve my back pain. If I go shopping, that shopping basket is my best friend for balance and take pressure off my back. On a ship or off, sometimes we don't have that choice.

Mom is likely to say no to any device out of sheer pride and you want to believe her. But the rigors of this new need to keep going day after day may prove to be more than she anticipated with that foot.

You may be opening up a whole new world of accessibility and much less pain for her! Using a cane, or a walker for the first time is a huge step for people who thrive on independence. Then they see just how much bigger their world just got, and away they go! Go granny go!!!

You know you are right! Who knows-she may love it. My dh and ds's are all fast walkers. I am going to present all options for her with suggestions and see where she is with the chair. Thank you!

We are actually leaving Pride from Tampa-so there will be no hotels needed. We live in Tampa. Still not sure about what or if a chair will be needed or wanted for that matter. I just know she is too proud to need one. She would rather limp and walk slowly to her destination. I will explain everything to her after the surprise to let her know what to expect.

We also are platinum members so we will have priority boarding. I have yet to call the special needs department yet....but I will definitely do that. Thank you for your advise!

Your comment that she would be too proud to need or want a wheelchair really hit me. My mom is the same way. You have to be very cautious as walking on a ship is much different than walking on a level surface on land for an elderly person, especially one with significant arthritis. All it takes is that one misstep and you are in the infirmary getting prepped to get off the ship to see an orthopedic surgeon. I don't want to take away your joy, just be super cautious. I learned the hard way not to let my mom's pride stop her from using an assistive device- she is now recovering from a partial hip replacement after refusing help to walk up an uneven path in a new environment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There are big differences between a regular wheelchair and a transport chair. Transport chairs can be very difficult to push on carpeting and in port because of their small wheels.

Scooters need either an HC cabin with wider doors or a very narrow scooter.

Nothing can be stored in the hallway, only in the cabin

Your comment that she would be too proud to need or want a wheelchair really hit me. My mom is the same way. You have to be very cautious as walking on a ship is much different than walking on a level surface on land for an elderly person, especially one with significant arthritis. All it takes is that one misstep and you are in the infirmary getting prepped to get off the ship to see an orthopedic surgeon. I don't want to take away your joy, just be super cautious. I learned the hard way not to let my mom's pride stop her from using an assistive device- she is now recovering from a partial hip replacement after refusing help to walk up an uneven path in a new environment.

Wow! Great point! I will make sure I do go over it with her. I do not want to spend our time recovering from anything.

I'm trying to stay out of this, but with little success:( Just bring a folding wheelchair for what you will see you need and/or wish you had brought with you. It will help on the ship especially if the seas are busy rocking the ship, in port on natural walking surfaces vs. a smooth flat floor at home. She might even find she'll enjoy her new "taxi" just to save time.

Ok, so we gave my mother the cruise boat wrapped up and her boarding pass. We first gave her a lei wrapped up in a Minecraft box...she had no clue...When she opened the lei she kind of suspected something. At the end we found her gift behind the tree. She was and is very happy and of course said it was way too much for us to do...but she politely took that boarding pass and put it in her pocket like there was no tomorrow!! I never seen her move that fast since...forever!!!

So regarding the wheelchair, walker etc....we brought it up to her later on after she really understood she was going on a cruise. I explained there was a lot of walking and places to see both on ship and off. I gave her options.

She definitely does not want any kind of wheelchair. Also, when I mentioned a walker she said no that she did not need it. She does but wont admit it. She cant walk 20 feet without stopping. So with that being said, I told her to take some time and think about it. Read the site and let me know because the clock is ticking etc. So we shall see.

Question...if she refuses any kind of walking assistance, can I still get Special Needs to help? For example, during the muster drill and during dinner to have a closer location? I don't want her to be denied these because she refuses to use equipment.

Thanks in advance everyone for your help! Merry Christmas!!!!

Like Ruthlessboss, I have held my opinions to myself. I have to speak up now.

I work in rehab and for the last 10 years exclusively with geriatric population. Additionally, I have a MIL with advanced Alzheimer's, a FIL with Parkinson's, a mother with balance issues and before he passed in March a father with bad hips. I know about traveling with elders.

Order the wheelchair. If she tires after 20 feet she will self limit herself as she won't want to delay everyone else. She will miss out on some of the best parts of the trip.

Tell her it is there just in case. That you love her and want her to see and do everything.

You will be glad.

Also, did I read that you would be platinum this trip? Mom will not be able to board with you in the plat line. You will need to board with her in the regular line if she is not able to check in herself. Somehow I don't see her in that long line with a carry on alone......

I work in rehab and for the last 10 years exclusively with geriatric population. Additionally, I have a MIL with advanced Alzheimer's, a FIL with Parkinson's, a mother with balance issues and before he passed in March a father with bad hips. I know about traveling with elders.

Order the wheelchair. If she tires after 20 feet she will self limit herself as she won't want to delay everyone else. She will miss out on some of the best parts of the trip.

Tell her it is there just in case. That you love her and want her to see and do everything.

You will be glad.

Also, did I read that you would be platinum this trip? Mom will not be able to board with you in the plat line. You will need to board with her in the regular line if she is not able to check in herself. Somehow I don't see her in that long line with a carry on alone......

When we cruised twice with my parents we had both experiences...once they had to go thru the regular line and another time they let them in the VIP line with us and asked if anyone needed assistance which we took for my mom who has emphysema. About a month later my mom found out she had a brain mass and needed surgery- who knows, maybe they could tell something about her that we could not. I wish I had taken a wheelchair as she spent valuable time in our suite while my dad toured with the rest of us. The Fascination crew and the Jacksonville pier folks were great to us.

I vote for a scooter.....I feel like less of a burden as I can come and go on my own.....it was very hard to just pick up the phone and do it but I wish I had done it several cruises ago!.....the only drawback was it was so easy to get to the bars and the shopping....places I hadn't been in years!....lol....my husband confessed he was so relieved I finally gave in so he could worry less about my safety....and now he can go to the cigar bar whenever he wants....I get help on and off the ship and have twice been nearly the first person on with no regard to my status with the cruiseline...hope your grandmother has a fabulous time and you make wonderful memories together!

You will be glad.

As a nurse who has worked in long term care/rehab for 20 years, I totally agree with this advice. Have the chair available for her IF she decides she wants/needs it. Walking at sea can be a totally different experience than walking on land. It is hard for some people to admit they might need help.....just be sure the help is there for her if she needs it.

...........Also, did I read that you would be platinum this trip? Mom will not be able to board with you in the plat line. You will need to board with her in the regular line if she is not able to check in herself. Somehow I don't see her in that long line with a carry on alone......

If you're in the same cabin you should be able to board together.

Diamonds, Platinums, Suites and FTTF all have priority boarding.

'Priority' will be on the boarding pass.