Taking Grandma-Advise please

Question...if she refuses any kind of walking assistance, can I still get Special Needs to help? For example, during the muster drill and during dinner to have a closer location? I don't want her to be denied these because she refuses to use equipment.

Thanks in advance everyone for your help! Merry Christmas!!!!

The cruise line's special needs department helps pre-cruise in respect to advising the ship of any special equipment you make be bringing on board or having delivered to the ship, special diet requests, wheelchair transfer only on embarkation day and disembarkation days, assisted listening devices, shower tools . Once on the ship the Special Needs Dept. is unavailable since that's a land based office of the cruise line. All cruise lines require that a special needs form be completed 30 days prior to the cruise. The form required which states what services are provided is post the cruise lines website.

You can request a chair once you arrive at the muster drill and you can go to the Matre'd to request a closer table but other than there won't be much if any assistance provided your mother on board the ship because she chose not to take any mobility equipment.

However you mother's decision not to bring the necessary mobility equipment can potentially impact the rest of cruise. You need to be made fully aware that if your mother is regularly left alone and routinely seeks help from the crew or even other guests when she can't walk any further because she or the family failed to bring the necessary mobility equipment can cause a problem for everyone. Cruise lines have been known to disembark the guest as well as the family members on board at the next available port for failing to have properly address and care for the needs of their family member while on board. Yes this can be legally done by the cruise line since all cruise lines have a fit to travel policy that is included as part of the cruise contract.

Generally speaking the policy is in place to make certain that all guests must ensure that they are medically and physically fit to travel and are self sufficient. If not than the individual must travel with someone that can provide any service required for the duration of the cruise. The policy typically states that though Guests are not required to travel with another person as a condition for traveling on their ships the ship's personnel are NOT required to perform personal tasks . FYI aiding the guest for the duration of the cruise in assisting them to venues throughout the ship and to their cabin because they are able to walk more than more than 20 feet is considered a personal task and is not required to be done by ship's personnel Therefore, guests requiring assistance with such functions are to consider these needs when making a booking. It should also be noted that if you did not make prior arrangements to rent or bring on board a walker, wheelchair and or mobility scooter the cruise ship does NOT have these on board available for rental or use by guests. The cruise ship has a limited number of wheelchairs that are available only for use in a medical emergency. Also wheelchair assistance by the cruise line is NOT available when in port. Such assistance is only provided by the cruise line on embarkation day and disembarkation day.

Bottom line though your mother may be refusing the use of any mobility equipment the family needs to be proactive and make certain to arrange for a wheelchair from one of the cruise lines approved rental providers. It's better to have rented one and have it available should it be needed than being thrown off the ship mid cruise for not having properly addressed for the needs of your mother.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I agree with the others. I would suggest renting the chair anyway. It'll cost less than $100 for the week, which to me is worth the peace of mind. You can tell her that you know she said she wouldn't need one, but it'll be in the room should she get tired or have any difficulties with walking long distances.

My own Grandparents often shun assistance because they want to be independent. But I also strive to make sure that that independence doesn't come at the cost of their comfort or enjoyment. Whether we're flying, cruising, going to a festival - whatever - I get the chair.

And as my own Grandmother says about so many things: It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Your Grandmother may never use the chair (or a cane or a walker), but it'll be so much better if it's there just in case.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I don't use a cane nor walker at home nor when doing errands either because I'm in control of when I can sit to relieve my back pain. If I go shopping, that shopping basket is my best friend for balance and take pressure off my back. On a ship or off, sometimes we don't have that choice.

Mom is likely to say no to any device out of sheer pride and you want to believe her. But the rigors of this new need to keep going day after day may prove to be more than she anticipated with that foot.

It's false pride. Is there shame in needing a wheelchair? Of course not. So there's no pride in not needing one, either.

Not using a wheelchair is, or can be, selfish. I know a man who could barely walk but wouldn't use a wheelchair - his mother would have liked to take him on holiday, and she could have pushed his chair, but he wouldn't go. So she couldn't go on holiday either.

I have no doubt that if your mother is confined to the ship on port days, you will feel obliged to stay with her on at least some of those days. So two of you miss out. But then, I'm sure you know all this - it's how to explain it to your mother that's the problem!

Just to reveal a personal interest, my mother (age 81, but fit and well) has suddenly developed a bad knee. It comes and goes. She has taken to a wheelchair far more enthusiastically than I expected, and as a result we were able to do the same (on a recent holiday to Spain) as we would have done had she been fully fit. My brother and I pushed her where a chair would go, and she got out and walked where it would not. As a result she was able to do the 440 steps of Nerja caves on the last day (when her knee was working well) - had she been walking about all week with no chair, she couldn't have attempted the caves and we would probably have stayed in the hotel.

If you're in the same cabin you should be able to board together.

Diamonds, Platinums, Suites and FTTF all have priority boarding.

'Priority' will be on the boarding pass.

We are in the room next to her. We will be platinum. This is her first cruise. I thought since we are family and she has mobility issues-she might be able to board with us. Still checking.

I appreciate everyone's comments/suggestions regarding my mothers first cruise. Wow-so much to do to ensure she is safe and has a great memorable cruise.

She is so against getting the chair but I think it is in everyone's best interest for her to get it if she needs it. She can do some basic walking to dinner etc...but other than that she will need a chair

So, I need something portable and doesn't take up too much space in her room. I don't think she can wheel herself...so do I rent an electric scooter? and are they portable? I am just going to get whatever to be safe. This may be her last cruise..who knows...I want to make it memorable and also want to make sure she has a nice time.

So, with that being said....not having any knowledge in any assisted devices...I think I need something portable and electric. I have no clue if they fit in our cabin. We have rooms next to each other. They are just a normal balcony room. Can the scooter fit in the room?

Not that I am confirmed getting her a device-I need to make sure it will fit in her room.

Thanks everyone for your help. I do appreciate it.

Edited by CruisingSteelerGirl

I appreciate everyone's comments/suggestions regarding my mothers first cruise. Wow-so much to do to ensure she is safe and has a great memorable cruise.

She is so against getting the chair but I think it is in everyone's best interest for her to get it if she needs it. She can do some basic walking to dinner etc...but other than that she will need a chair

So, I need something portable and doesn't take up too much space in her room. I don't think she can wheel herself...so do I rent an electric scooter? and are they portable? I am just going to get whatever to be safe. This may be her last cruise..who knows...I want to make it memorable and also want to make sure she has a nice time.

So, with that being said....not having any knowledge in any assisted devices...I think I need something portable and electric. I have no clue if they fit in our cabin. We have rooms next to each other. They are just a normal balcony room. Can the scooter fit in the room?

Not that I am confirmed getting her a device-I need to make sure it will fit in her room.

I'm really glad to hear that you're going this route! Having traveled with my Grandmother quite a few times, it's easier on both of us when she doesn't have to worry about trying to keep up or slowing us down.

If I recall correctly, scooters will fit through the doorways of handicapped and modified cabins but not regular cabins. If you haven't booked her in one of these rooms, I'd call to see if one is available. Scooters aren't allowed to be left in the halls and will need to fit in the cabin.

We are in the room next to her. We will be platinum. This is her first cruise. I thought since we are family and she has mobility issues-she might be able to board with us. Still checking.

In that case she won't be able to go with you. You can go with her. Check in areas will be in different areas.

Could see if FTTF is still available for her.

Please, see if a HC room is available and if you can get grandma into it. Then, order a scooter for her.

Last summer, we took a cruise and DD ended up with severe leg issues. She was on crutches, but not supposed to really be up. Finally, I got her a wheelchair for the cruise. It was a manual one, with the large wheels she could push herself. We wish we had ordered a scooter for her. The WC did not fit through the cabin door.

While grandma will resist it up front, by the second day, she will be glad she has the scooter and is independent.

The approved rental companies for Carnival Cruise line are:

http://www.CareVacations.com

or

http://www.Specialneedsatsea.com

It's important to note that all mobility scooters are rented based on weight capacity of the scooter vs. users weight. The rental company will make the final determination as to the type of scooter that will be provided. Whether it will fit through the door of a standard cabin depends on the type your mother needs based on her weight and the weight capacity of the scooter. Carevactions light weight model and mid-size model as well as SpecialNeedsatSea standard model will fit through the door of a cabin . However as previously stated the rental company has the final decision as to what model will be available for your mother.

Additionally mobility scooters will not be allowed on the tenders. Being that you're going on the Pride the port of Kona Hawaii is a tendered port so your mother will not be able to use the mobility scooter in that port. Information stating that the mobility scooter are not allowed on the tendered is stated on Carnival's website.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Okay, I'm coming in here as a 45 year old woman with mobility issues and fatigue due to cancer. I can tell you first hand that pride gets in the way and it's hard to accept that we need assistance. Is recommend not taking a wheelchair but instead a walker. I have a nice nova walker that folds up easily, gives me support for walking and also a place to sit and rest. It is also handy so I don't have to carry a bag over my shoulder adding on weight and causing balance issues. I would encourage going the walker route first. I bought mine for about $100. Start at home so she can see how she really feels about it. It's also handy for carrying our luggage at the airport and onto the ship when I'm not using it. :) I use a scooter 95% of the time now when out, but starting with a walker helped me ease into it. I still fight being put in a wheelchair at the doctors office/hospital but I'm slowly getting used to it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Having made the transition from walking onto my first cruise ship, to using a wheelchair, and finally graduating to a scooter which I absolutely love because of the independence it gives me, I just want to point out that passengers using any kind of mobility assistance are treated like VIPs during the embarkation process. My cabin-mates, whether my DH or girlfriends, love bypassing the lines as we get ushered to the counter for "special" passengers!

Also, the good situation about being next-door to your mother who of course wants to stay vertical and on her own feet (which may preclude getting a scooter since it's not a HC cabin), is that a folding wheelchair is easy enough to handle at the door since she can stand up and walk through on her own power, as her "pushing angel" folds up and pushes the chair through the door.

By the way, I recently sailed in my first HC cabin on Carnival, a balcony on the Triumph, which was not wide enough to turn around in. Crazy! My regular OV on my previous cruise, on the other hand, was.

Exciting times ahead for you! The bottom line is that a rented WC is a safety net. As pointed out, it's there if it's needed. Since this is her first cruise, it's unlikely that she has any idea how huge the ship is. Using the WC is the best way to conserve her energy for the things that really matter--which would not include the many, many steps spent walking down hallways.

By the way, I recently sailed in my first HC cabin on Carnival, a balcony on the Triumph, which was not wide enough to turn around in. Crazy! My regular OV on my previous cruise, on the other hand, was.

Was it actually fully scrabble or was it modified? Modified is not larger typically and just has an adapted bathroom.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm glad you posted Sherilyn70...I'm a 60+ year old woman fighting arthritis in my hips and spine, and I recently had to bite the bullet and get a walker. It was a tough step for me - I don't want to lose anything and it's extremely important to me to stay as mobile as possible; and I'm saying this because I don't want your grandmother's feelings to be left out of this discussion. If she's fiercely independent, then good for her!

I HATED the common walkers, and found they were tough to travel with so for my last trip got a HealthSmart Gateway Rollator in a jazzy shade of purple, which is more streamlined than the common walker. It folds from side to side so it's easier to handle on a bus and it does still have a seat. You may find that your grandmother will fight a wheelchair, but may use a cane (and it's possible to get some really pretty or eccentric ones!), and may succumb to a rollator (especially when she sees others on board using them). She may also agree to push the wheelchair, which would make it similar to a walker.

She may also be too tired to accompany you on walks or excursions. It's OK - she's an adult and can spend time on her own. If she is alert, oriented and has good decision making skills, go off on your own! I've sent my adult kids off on excursions and spent a lovely morning reading on my balcony. Then I enjoyed hearing their stories and looking at their pictures. Many people remain on the ship during port stops. If this is her trip and she can make decisions, then let her call some of the shots and make the trip truly hers.

You are wonderful for doing this for her (and for wanting to take care of her too). No matter what, I'm sure she'll see your heart in this and be blessed.

I also wanted to mention the roller walker. As I said in an earlier post my dad used a scooter and he was able to get the rented one into his cabin as he was not a large man. My husband has back problems and he cannot have surgery to alleviate the problem as he was told that he would probably end up spending the rest of his days in a wheelchair.

He uses a roller walker all the time and it eases the pain in his back. It is great for when we are on cruises as there are times he gets tired when we are off the ship and he can just sit down for a minute or two. At some ports, ie St Maarten, it's been quite a walk for him to get from the ship to the taxi area and even though there are people with golf carts providing rides from the ship, sometimes they are full and we just want to get going. He is able to walk quite well with the help of the walker.

They are available on Amazon for less than $100. Should you decide to get one, be sure to read the reviews as some are not as good as others. He recently got a new one and it is a bright blue with 8" wheels and he loves it. I like that the storage bag under the seat is black material as opposed to his other one that is an open metal basket. He can put things in the bag and no one can see them. He even puts my small purse in there at times.

Again, thank you everyone for all your suggestions and advise! I truly do appreciate it. So...I confirm my mom for a scooter with specials needs at sea. She has accepted it and is pretty excited. She also now has a special needs room while we are in our standard balcony down the hall. She still has a balcony. Our balcony's have an obstructed view on the 5th floor. I hope they are not too bad and have a decent view.

Carnival was very helpful when I called them. They set up everything when boarding to leaving. So everything is turning out great right now.

My next question....are there some only "senior activities"...again, just checking. I want her to make some new friends and have some friends to hang out with. Just checking.. Thanks again everyone!!!

Again, thank you everyone for all your suggestions and advise! I truly do appreciate it. So...I confirm my mom for a scooter with specials needs at sea. She has accepted it and is pretty excited. She also now has a special needs room while we are in our standard balcony down the hall. She still has a balcony. Our balcony's have an obstructed view on the 5th floor. I hope they are not too bad and have a decent view.

Carnival was very helpful when I called them. They set up everything when boarding to leaving. So everything is turning out great right now.

My next question....are there some only "senior activities"...again, just checking. I want her to make some new friends and have some friends to hang out with. Just checking.. Thanks again everyone!!!

Have a great cruise! We were on the Pride for the second time last February. I have mobility issues that are MS related. I use a cane, but for traveling and covering long distances, I use my mobility scooter (Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Plus). We had a standard balcony, and I was able to maneuver into our cabin with help from my DH. He would guide me through the door. Anyway, it sounds like your mother has a special needs cabin, which is better yet.

It's easy to get around the Pride too. We had no problem with elevators at all, and if you are planning to have dinner in the Main Dining Room, I was able to drive up to my table, exit the scooter, and the waiter would take the scooter away and park it. He would joke when he returned, that he "filled up the tank" before he gave it back to me. All in all, we had a great cruise, and no problems at all. I was apprehensive before we cruised last February, because it was the first time I was using the scooter on a cruise, but I was relieved that everything worked out perfectly.

Again, enjoy your cruise. We are booked on the Carnival Pride for the 3rd time when she returns to Baltimore in 2015.

I have a question along the same ....I don't think my mom will need a wheelchair, but she just had her knee replaced and she is still in rehab. I do think it is possible for her to have a walker.

1. Do I have to pay extra to take one on the plane?

and

2. There is a good chance she will not need it (or want to take one), but I am a bit concerned about any long walks to get on the ship (I can get her transportation at the airport). Sometime the cruise terminal can be a lot of walking too. Can I get her help at the terminal?

Thanks!

I have a question along the same ....I don't think my mom will need a wheelchair, but she just had her knee replaced and she is still in rehab. I do think it is possible for her to have a walker.

1. Do I have to pay extra to take one on the plane?

and

2. There is a good chance she will not need it (or want to take one), but I am a bit concerned about any long walks to get on the ship (I can get her transportation at the airport). Sometime the cruise terminal can be a lot of walking too. Can I get her help at the terminal?

Thanks!

1. Assistive devices such as walkers and canes don't have a fee. Also, most airlines offer some level of priority boarding should your Mom need extra time getting down the jetway.

My Grandmother has issues with diatance. When we've arrived at the airport, we've typically gotten quick and easy help from a wheelchair attendant to get through security and to the departure gate. You can also include on the flight reservation that you'd like a wheelchair. They'll have one waiting when the flight lands.

2. You can get wheelchair assistance in the terminal during embarkation and disembarkation, but there could be a wait since wheelchairs are limited. And you can't do self-assist with wheelchair assistance during disembarkation.

Edited by Twin A

Another rehab professional here (CRRN):

Take or rent a regular wheelchair. You can always leave it folded up in the room if not needed, but if you need one the second day of your trip, and don't have one, your mother ends up spending the cruise in her cabin instead of being able to participate in all your family events.

Worse yet, she could fall, esp. if there is a lot of sea motion on the ship, and over the lips and joints in the hallways, going out doors through many doors, etc. On an Alaska trip two years ago, a woman fell and apparently broke her hip right after boarding...before the ship had even left the dock. She and her daughter (traveling with her) had to be disembarked (delaying the ship's departure) before we left. Needless to say, a vacation ruined, much less the alarming statistics on death within a year for elderly people who break a hip (not to be an alarmist...just a reality).

A wheelchair is a tool. It is not "giving in" to the disability, or giving up. We don't look strangely at someone who pounds a nail with a hammer instead of their hand...a wheelchair is simply a tool. It allows the person using it to still stay active, involved, and not be left out of all the fun activities she will enjoy on the cruise.

If you just need a wheelchair for occasional use, Amazon actually has one for only about $125 that has the large rear wheel for self-push. We got one like that last summer for my DD who needed one for a couple of months. It went all over the Med and through a number of airports.

There is never a fee for checking a medical assist device, and a wheelchair will be gate-checked and waiting when you leave the plane.

• 1 month later...

One other suggestion for anyone contemplating renting a scooter for someone that has not used one before, is to try out the ones at the grocery or big box store. First, they will get used to the feel of that motion and become more confident. Just be sure to put the scooter into slow or "turtle" mode.

I took my mid 80s Mom on a cruise and she refused to rent a scooter. I use a scooter and would not have been able to push a chair. She said she'd be fine with her walker. Luckily the elevator near our room went to a place that had the casino to the right and dining room to the left. She had no idea how BIG ships are and spent the entire cruise in the cabin, casino, or dining room.

When we got home, she ordered herself a scooter!