Booking a Carnival group cruise through a TA - hesitations/experiences? ?

iheartmarshall

I'm cruising on the Carnival Elation with a large group in April 2016 as part of a national conference. Any bookings with the group must go through their TA which makes me nervous. Both my first cruise and my upcoming have been researched and booked by me via Carnival's website. I enjoy planning my own trips and although I know most TAs are knowledgeable, I am hesitant and don't like the idea of a TA "owning" my booking. I guess I'm worried that I'll miss out on price drops and what not by not being able to contact Carnival directly about the cruise.

So, I'm curious to hear any experiences you've had (good or bad) when booking as part of a large group through a TA. I'm sure it will be fine but I'd like to hear your stories if you have any.

Thanks!

I almost always use a TA. Once or twice I booked on my own, which was fine as well. If you're going with a group, you may not have a choice whether or not to book through their TA. In a situation like that I guess you could ask about price drops, etc. The price may be fixed, because it's a group. With a regular booking; however, I've never had any problems using a TA. I do my own research from A-Z. I only need someone to push the buttons I don't have access to.

I almost always use a TA. Once or twice I booked on my own, which was fine as well. If you're going with a group, you may not have a choice whether or not to book through their TA. In a situation like that I guess you could ask about price drops, etc. The price may be fixed, because it's a group. With a regular booking; however, I've never had any problems using a TA. I do my own research from A-Z. I only need someone to push the buttons I don't have access to.

Unfortunately, we do not have an option to book outside the group block unless it is full and there is still a large demand in people wanting to attend. In that case, I believe the organizers said they may be able to secure additional rooms but it depends on Carnival. I know that part of the cruise cost includes registration for the conference so I don't mind paying a bit more (our rate is higher than the one online for the same cruise) but since I'm paying myself, access to price drops for the cruise rate and all that would be nice :)

Hopefully there are no issues but I've read a mixture of positive and negatives regarding TA bookings so I'm curious about a group setting.

Edited by iheartmarshall

Booking with a group-- you are tied to that rate if the price comes down you are out of luck anyways.

Is this a group or chartered?

Booking with the group your booking is tied-- so until EVERYone pays you will not be able to print your own documents or luggage tags. All it takes is one person not paying on time

Group rates are now always higher then what you see on line-- you are paying for the "free" amenities

Edited by serene56

Booking with a group-- you are tied to that rate if the price comes down you are out of luck anyways.

Booking with the group your booking is tied-- so until EVERYone pays you will not be able to print your own documents or luggage tags. All it takes is one person not paying on time

Group rates are now always higher then what you see on line-- you are paying for the "free" amenities

It's a group rate; definitely not chartered. I think we have 300 beds blocked so far. Thanks for the info! I didn't realize there were restrictions on it so I wouldn't be eligible for price drops anyway. Thank you!

It's a group rate; definitely not chartered. I think we have 300 beds blocked so far. Thanks for the info! I didn't realize there were restrictions on it so I wouldn't be eligible for price drops anyway. Thank you!

I suggest you NEVER look at the pricing--especially when it gets close because that could make you ill-- :rolleyes:

My last group my costs was a lot higher then what i could by going through the cruise lines.

I have not done a group since then.

(someone is making out like a bandit for this cruise-- a (a free berth for every 8 cabins double occuapancy sold)

I suggest you NEVER look at the pricing--especially when it gets close because that could make you ill-- :rolleyes:

My last group my costs was a lot higher then what i could by going through the cruise lines.

I have not done a group since then.

(someone is making out like a bandit for this cruise-- a (a free berth for every 8 cabins double occuapancy sold)

This is precisely why I didn't join in with an organization I'm part of for their group cruise next July on the Pride. The price was considerably more than what I could have booked myself. And the group leader is getting 2 or 3 free cabins. Everyone was a little pissed at me that I wouldn't book knowing I love to cruise, but no thanks. I can do better traveling by myself.:) Especially since there is nothing extra going on - no seminars or events, etc. to justify the cost.

This is precisely why I didn't join in with an organization I'm part of for their group cruise next July on the Pride. The price was considerably more than what I could have booked myself. And the group leader is getting 2 or 3 free cabins. Everyone was a little pissed at me that I wouldn't book knowing I love to cruise, but no thanks. I can do better traveling by myself.:) Especially since there is nothing extra going on - no seminars or events, etc. to justify the cost.

ahh then the leader is keeping the points for themselves

This post is loaded with general misinformation. In a typical group with Carnival, you "most often" will NOT pay more and you will "most often" get group amenities on top of "not typically paying more"..... Furthermore, you will still qualify for most other rate codes (ES, Past guest, etc.) and "most often" still get the amenities.

There are exceptions to this and there are some groups that will require you to book strictly in the group allotment without allowing you to book into ES or other codes..... but generally, this is not the case. I would not book into a group without researching how it is being handled first.

Serene56 is absolutely correct regarding "some" groups..... but not most.

Maybe not recently-- but every group cruise I have done I was NEVER able to price match. (or lose the amenities which at that time were worth keeping)

Group cruises cost more then what is being sold on their own web page-- maybe not a lot of money but the early saver rate will more be less then a group rate 9 times out of 10.

Java-- I'd be curious to know what part of this post has the loaded misinformation. I have done MANY group cruises up until 2 years ago when it became so not worth it any longer

The group leader is given choices to amenities- its up to the group leader if they want to share with the group or not.

Edited by serene56

Maybe not recently-- but every group cruise I have done I was NEVER able to price match. (or lose the amenities which at that time were worth keeping)

Group cruises cost more then what is being sold on their own web page-- maybe not a lot of money but the early saver rate will more be less then a group rate 9 times out of 10.

Java-- I'd be curious to know what part of this post has the loaded misinformation. I have done MANY group cruises up until 2 years ago when it became so not worth it any longer

The group leader is given choices to amenities- its up to the group leader if they want to share with the group or not.

Serene56....... You give a lot of good information in your posts and are very helpful. It's just that with groups, you can't really generalize so much. I, too, have been involved with many group cruises and I stay away from those that are as restrictive as those you describe. In a Carnival, non charter group, whether it is an affinity or promotional group...... "Generally" bookings can be made into group allocations, early saver, past guest and many other rate codes "without surcharge" and "without losing group amenities". In these cases there is really no downside as long as the agent is diligent in watching out for you.

If you come across a group that states "this is the rate", "this is what you get" and it can't be changed for any reason, chances are you are either booking into a group that is offering some really special perks -or- it's a group that is making someone else a lot of money....... So yes, the groups you describe do exist...... They are certainly not the "norm" though. If someone books into a group, they simply need to know what questions to ask to see if it's a good option or a ripoff

Serene56....... You give a lot of good information in your posts and are very helpful. It's just that with groups, you can't really generalize so much. I, too, have been involved with many group cruises and I stay away from those that are as restrictive as those you describe. In a Carnival, non charter group, whether it is an affinity or promotional group...... "Generally" bookings can be made into group allocations, early saver, past guest and many other rate codes "without surcharge" and "without losing group amenities". In these cases there is really no downside as long as the agent is diligent in watching out for you.

If you come across a group that states "this is the rate", "this is what you get" and it can't be changed for any reason, chances are you are either booking into a group that is offering some really special perks -or- it's a group that is making someone else a lot of money....... So yes, the groups you describe do exist...... They are certainly not the "norm" though. If someone books into a group, they simply need to know what questions to ask to see if it's a good option or a ripoff

Thank you for this! I appreciate everyone's advice and will be sure to ask more questions about the booking. I'd prefer to book outside the block but they've been fairly vocal about our booking including registration so I don't know if they would separate the two and allow us to book independently. I will definitely ask either way though because it would be nice to be eligible for price protection and what not, especially since I am paying myself (opposed to it being a work trip or something). If not though, then that's life and I'll deal.

Again -- thank you all and I appreciate the feedback!

Edited by iheartmarshall

The last time I did a group you could NOT book Early savers as part of the group package- it was either or.

Booking Early Saver I got a better deal but could not participate in the groups amenities.

Booking with the group if the price came down and we wanted that-- we had to give up out amenities.

that was the last group cruise I booked and will not do it again. ES rate is the way to go for me

In 2013 Carnival changed their groups policy significantly due to travel agent requests and customer confusion. One of the major changes is that almost any rate code can be booked into a group and still receive the amenities. This includes Early Saver. Therefore, if you can book into a a group with Early Saver, you are getting the price protection and whatever amenities the group has (onboard credit etc.). I'm a TA and I do it all the time. It really is a great deal.

In 2013 Carnival changed their groups policy significantly due to travel agent requests and customer confusion. One of the major changes is that almost any rate code can be booked into a group and still receive the amenities. This includes Early Saver. Therefore, if you can book into a a group with Early Saver, you are getting the price protection and whatever amenities the group has (onboard credit etc.). I'm a TA and I do it all the time. It really is a great deal.

This is correct. I was able to reduce the initial price for members of a recent group several times closer to final payment. Keep in mind that prices are a function of supply and demand as well as the rate code that you were originally booked into (either personally or by a TA).

There are groups (usually large convention type meetings) that require you to book through them otherwise you will be excluded from group events such as cocktail parties, presentations, etc. The reason for this is that they use the amenity money to pay for guest speakers, etc. Be sure to check with your group before making an independent reservation.

Edited by FlaMilkman

We are booked on our next cruise as a group.. some of what has been said so far is true some not so much..

The group leader does get 1 free Berth per 8 cabins booked but it is not the whole fare it is only a portion.. the commissionable part.. Say of an $800 pp cabin the berth would be about $400 or so..still pays the full port fees and taxes..Anyone booked will get amenities points and the TA usually picks on thing from a list of choices .. many choose the $100 per cabin obc so the members can spend the obc as they wish.

If you book as ES rate many price drops can happen between the booking date and sailing date.. and NOT all of them qualify for group rate bookings so that is a huge down fall..

But with so many cabins being booked some one is either getting a whole lot of their buddies on for nearly free or the TA is pocketing the TC..

happy sails