Re-boarding CCL ship at Caribbean port with knife?

PaperSniper4

Knives can be a hit or miss thing. Federal law prohibits carrying Gravity Knives and Switchblades, no exception. In the past any type of blade would be seized if you attempted to board a plan. If you pack on carry a knife you should have to expect that it may be termed contraband and seized, hopefully to be returned at the end of the cruise.

One question, wouldn't one knife be sufficient?

I'm familiar with the laws pertaining to the two types of knives you mention. I don't even have any interest in them. I don't fly to my cruise origination port, so confiscation of any knife I had in my carry on bag or person is not a concern of mine.

However, should the cruise line attempt to confiscate a knife which is NOT prohibited by their own regulations, I'd raise a big stink! Returned later or not. :cool:

Why more than the one knife you ask? No one knife does everything I need: corkscrew, scissors, general purpose cutting tool. The Swiss Army "Camper <?>" knife I bring in my checked shaving kit comes closest, lacking only scissors, but it's much too big and bulky to carry around in my pocket. I suppose I could get by with the tiny Swiss Army "Classic", but its blade is a little small and weak for some tasks, like cutting or peeling a lime, apple, etc. Besides, the small pocket knives I bring have much sharper blades than the Classic, and do a better job and are easier and safer to manipulate because they are just a bit larger.

Doug

We were in Freeport Bahamas last year on the Pride. Bought a plastic toy knife, like a dagger, possibly 3 inch blade. When getting back on the ship, security at the ship X-ray confiscated that plastic toy knife. We were allowed to go to a certain lounge the last morning before disembarking and pick it up. Other people were in line then picking up items like irons and alcohol that had been found in their checked bags when first boarding.

You can not take and use a knife of any sort on to the ship. You can't even bring scissors and no this is not a guess, I work at a cruise port.

Perhaps you should notify Carnival as they provide the below information on their web site regarding prohibited items. I'm sure that since you work at a cruise port you are more of an authority than the cruise line. Perhaps mis-information on the part of cruise port employees is the reason for the inconsistent application of cruise line rules when boarding cruise ships.

Prohibited items (pasted from Carnival web site)

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

Edited by travler27

We were in Freeport Bahamas last year on the Pride. Bought a plastic toy knife, like a dagger, possibly 3 inch blade. When getting back on the ship, security at the ship X-ray confiscated that plastic toy knife. We were allowed to go to a certain lounge the last morning before disembarking and pick it up. Other people were in line then picking up items like irons and alcohol that had been found in their checked bags when first boarding.

Toy weapons of all kinds are specifically not allowed on Carnival ship according to their web site.

Well, that is odd. You may work at a cruise port but I have taken a pair of small scissors AND a small paring knife on at least 20 cruises in my carry-on baggage and NEVER been stopped or even questioned. Just returned from cruise on 11/28 on CCL out of Port Canaveral and 12/13 sailing on Princess out of Port Everglades.

You can not take and use a knife of any sort on to the ship. You can't even bring scissors and no this is not a guess, I work at a cruise port.

If they should decided to detain it, it will be tagged for you and you can reclaim it before debarkation. EM

This was NOT true for us. We were on the Sunshine over thanksgiving 2014 and purchased a two collectable knives in Roatan. One was small, 2 inches and the other was a larger knife 6 inches. Both were in hand carved leather cases with mahogany wood accents, hence the collectable part. our packages were scanned when we came back on board and the larger knife was taken out of the case and we were given the case back. They did not even let the knife on the boat. We were told we could go return it (it was too late to do that) or they would throw it out. so we lost the knife but were allowed to keep the smaller one.

This was NOT true for us. We were on the Sunshine over thanksgiving 2014 and purchased a two collectable knives in Roatan. One was small, 2 inches and the other was a larger knife 6 inches. Both were in hand carved leather cases with mahogany wood accents, hence the collectable part. our packages were scanned when we came back on board and the larger knife was taken out of the case and we were given the case back. They did not even let the knife on the boat. We were told we could go return it (it was too late to do that) or they would throw it out. so we lost the knife but were allowed to keep the smaller one.

CCL's web site prohibits knives with a blade over 4 inches, and I am assuming your larger knife had a 6 inch blade. Hence you could not bring it on board even to have them "store" it for you until the end of the cruise. That was a shame; I've seen those knives with the wooden handles are they are nice looking.

Others wanting to pick up a larger knife can ask if the shop can to ship the knife back to a home address. That might not be possible or legal, I do not know.

Doug

CCL's web site prohibits knives with a blade over 4 inches, and I am assuming your larger knife had a 6 inch blade. Hence you could not bring it on board even to have them "store" it for you until the end of the cruise. That was a shame; I've seen those knives with the wooden handles are they are nice looking.

Others wanting to pick up a larger knife can ask if the shop can to ship the knife back to a home address. That might not be possible or legal, I do not know.

Doug

hey Doug,

You are right about the 4 inch knives...... unfortuneatly we did not do our homework so lost the knife. I think the shop we got them from would have shipped if we would have known to do that. Good Suggestion for next time! :)

I think knives over 4" are on the confiscate and dispose of list. The only exception being a dive knife that is stored by security and returned when needed for diving use and again stored by security upon return to the ship after diving use.

They probably had to "confiscate it" so that they could sell it back to the original store. Hopefully, the store got it back in time to sell it again to another customer on a cruise ship the next day. Everyone gets to make some money except you! You get a really nice case and a story about "the one that got away." ..... Just sayin'