Haarlem to Ijmuiden?

GAJE

It will not be difficult, but it will be expensive. My best guess is it might cost around E. 75,-

There might be a shuttle by your cruiseline from Amsterdam, but certainly not from Haarlem.

Last September, taxis were expensive and alternate transportation was difficult to find. HAL had transfers available from the airport and from one at least one of the hotels in central Amsterdam. We ended up staying at an airport hotel and then taking the train into Amsterdam and back, and the airport transfer to IJmuiden, but I thought that Haarlem would have been a wonderful place to stay. When I was planning to stay in Haarlem, I had thought about taking a bus from the airport and back on sailing day, and then a transfer to the ship. I think this past year was the first for IJmuiden, and I hope they have come up with more options.

We took a collector's cruise, and on our IJmuiden port day between the two cruises there was a shuttle available at the port to take us to Haarlem, I think for about 10 euros round trip, but I don't know if there is any way to link into it just coming from Haarlem.

I know there are some posters from that area who can provide more up-to-date information. You might also check your roll call and also any other roll calls for cruises leaving from IJmuiden for information.

Trish

Edited by PatsyAnne

Easiest will be a cab unfortunately. As mentioned above it will not be cheap.

Public transport is a bit complicated.

No trains at all to IJmuiden, no direct public buses either.

I'd say that 75 Euro for a cab is a good deal for 2 people considering the hassle of trying to lug your way through multiple transfers. Even a ship transfer is likely to cost that much for 2.

Just my thoughts, fresh from a multiple stopover 9-weeks trip in Europe including 3 cruise legs. We used every conceivable mode of transportation. We were very lucky to find a shared shuttle to the port from Rome (90 Euro) ... maybe you could search for one in Netherlands?

Best of luck to you. m--

As I happen to live in Haarlem I would say by all means come stay in our beautiful city.

There are public buses to IJmuiden and it's not difficult and not expensive either.

From the Haarlem bus station you take bus 75 to a stop called

" Dennenkoplaan", and there you transfer to bus 82 to a stop called "Badweg" which is right across from the Cruise Terminal.

You can find all information regarding public transport in The Netherlands you need on 9292.nl

Enjoy your stay!

Please to inquire, would we be able to take a medium size case 60 cm

about 14 kg., a carry on case about 50cm and a backpack on the bus?

We will be flying in, taking the train to Haaram to our hotel for two days and then transfering to the port. Thank you for help.

Wondering if there has been any bus rerouting since June. We took the local bus to the cruise terminal. Part of the problem with it at the time was that no one including the driver understood that the ship would go from there!

It also dropped on the other side of the dike embankment so one had to carry luggage up an over. For us it was no great deal and a porter came out from the terminal and picked up our bags at the bottom of the steps. It just could be easier and it certainly wouldn't work if one can't handle the luggage readily.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am not sure what type of buses are used at the the moment to IJmuiden, but remember it is public transport (not specialy made for cruise passengers).

Probably you will have some space near one of the exits for your luggage, but please stay with it at all times. It might depend what the driver thinks if it is too big or not. As mentioned you have to change buses and indeed as far as I know you will still have to cross a dyke.

That is why I mentioned it is not that convenient unless you are traveling with just some handluggage.

To avoid confusion, IJmuiden has not only a passenger cruise terminal, but also a ferry terminal. So check you get to the right one.

If you google "Connexion bus" and search for images, you'll get a lot of pictures of what the bus looks like.

As long as you don't travel in rush hour, the bus should be pretty empty as

IJmuiden is a small fishing town and not a lot of people from Haarlem have a reason to go there. Also don't worry about the driver not knowing about the cruise terminal, as long as you stick to getting of at "Badweg" you should be fine.

Another interesting option (and probably better if you have a lot of luggage) would be to take the train from Haarlem to Driehuis (there is a direct line: it takes 11 minutes) and take a taxi there. Driehuis is really close to IJmuiden (only 3 km) so the fare should be quite reasonable. You can find info on Dutch trains at http://www.ns.nl

Wow. This seems to get more and more complicated! How about cabs? Easy to get one to travel from Haarlem to the port?

I read something about taxis restricted from hotel areas in Haarlem. Can someone explain that?

Thank you. Betty

Never heard about that restriction. I have found this (in dutch unfortunately) website of one of the taxi firms.

They state transport to IJmuiden for E. 50,- which sounds a real good deal.

Why not use the contact button on that site and send them an e-mail with your request?

http://www.taxiadriaan.nl/tarieven/

Are there difficulties in getting taxis in Haarlem to the port of Ijmuiden? Any other possible obstacles in staying in Haarlem over Amsterdam?

Thank you for any help!

Betty

The best way to Ijmuiden is from Schiphol airport:

Train, from airport to Amsterdam-Sloterdijk station, every 10 minutes, $4.00

Then bus 82 from Sloterdijk to Ijmuiden, Scheldestraat, 32 minutes, $2.00

Or taxi, 18 minutes, $95.00

Or rent a car, 18 minutes, $7.00 for gas...

Slightly off topic... we loved our short time in Haarlem, and would gladly go back. We were just there for a few hours on a Sunday and several sites were closed, including the Ten Boom shop and museum, but we did find a wonderful cheese shop about a block away from it towards the train station. We bought the best ever cheese croissants right out of the oven, and ate them in the square.

Trish

I already got an email back from the taxi that was suggested above. He is going to get me pricing. He writes in English. Thanks!

Glad it worked!