Excursion with both Scuba & Snorkeling?

bluegirlum

Unfortunately, you will have problems finding something in Cozumel.

The reefs are too deep to make snorkeling worthwhile, and the reefs good for snorkeling are really shallow and not great dives as the snorkeling areas are not pretty coral like the reefs out deep. Dive boats will do one or the other, but not the same for a boat for obvious reasons. Someone is going to be bored.

Dive boats also need a certain number of people in order to pay for gas and crew, so they aren't going to take out just 2 people unless you pay for a full boat. It can be done, but would be expensive.

Also, boat traffic can be an issue so all the snorkeling boats go to the same areas, our of the boat lanes, and are highly visible.

Your only boat option (we have done this when our daughter had a cold and could not dive), is to book on a dive boat and ask them if she could go as a rider. We had to pay full price for her but she was able to snorkel a little bit on the second dive (always shallower than the first dive which is always deep). It worked for us for 1 day of our trip. Not all dive ops will do this however, so you need to ask.

There are some dive boats that run out of the beach clubs. It may be possible to contact them and see if they would do it for you.

hope this helps!

We went to Playa Palancar last year and will be doing so again next week. My wife and son stay at the beach club and I do a couple of reef dives that leave directly from there. They do snorkel tours as well from the same shop I believe. Different boats but the ride out to the reef from there is very short so doesn't really matter. The dive shop isn't the most sophisticated I have been with, but for your average cruise ship passenger diver like myself it works out well for the entire family and you get a couple of nice dives in on Palancar Reef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk