London theater????

sprinkles

Hi All,

I've been lurking on here since booking my first solo cruise (TA this April). I'm really excited and not really worried about too much (experienced cruiser). Kind of taking baby steps with this first solo cruise (dh still around - just tired of traveling), having either Princess or Globus holding my hand for hotels, tours, etc.

BUT, London, I keep getting stuck on. I keep trying to make myself book a ticket for Les Miserables on Saturday night and every time I chicken out. My hotel is about 3 miles from the Theater and I'm a mid 40's female. I keep thinking, no biggie, I can take a cab, get a little dinner before the show and take a cab back. Any thoughts? Anyone ever do London "at night" alone?

Then I keep wondering if it is even worth it. I really don't have any idea what time I will get to my hotel from Southampton with the Princess shuttle. Once I get to town, planning on taking the water bus on the Thames to Westminster Abbey and maybe Greenwhich. The next morning I will have a 7:30am pick-up for an all day tour to Stonehenge/Bath (then the following day I fly to Germany for a bus tour).

Maybe I just need a little nudge from you guys - Thanks! I know I was bummed that DH and I did not go to the theater when we went to London together.

Tammy

Hi All,

I've been lurking on here since booking my first solo cruise (TA this April). I'm really excited and not really worried about too much (experienced cruiser). Kind of taking baby steps with this first solo cruise (dh still around - just tired of traveling), having either Princess or Globus holding my hand for hotels, tours, etc.

BUT, London, I keep getting stuck on. I keep trying to make myself book a ticket for Les Miserables on Saturday night and every time I chicken out. My hotel is about 3 miles from the Theater and I'm a mid 40's female. I keep thinking, no biggie, I can take a cab, get a little dinner before the show and take a cab back. Any thoughts? Anyone ever do London "at night" alone?

Then I keep wondering if it is even worth it. I really don't have any idea what time I will get to my hotel from Southampton with the Princess shuttle. Once I get to town, planning on taking the water bus on the Thames to Westminster Abbey and maybe Greenwhich. The next morning I will have a 7:30am pick-up for an all day tour to Stonehenge/Bath (then the following day I fly to Germany for a bus tour).

Maybe I just need a little nudge from you guys - Thanks! I know I was bummed that DH and I did not go to the theater when we went to London together.

Tammy

Hi Tammy,

My wife and I have not been in London for a few years, but saw many shows in West End. We normally purchase our tickets at the half price stand, which is located in Leicester Square. They always have tickets available for most shows. I think the cab idea is fine if you are traveling alone. We would normally take tube, so never had a huge walk. Have fun and enjoy!

Nudge-nudge...

I come to you as a person who has been to London at least a dozen times. Who first travelled there as an 8-year-old with her mother. Who has wandered around Picadilly Circus and Leicester Square (the heart of theatreland) at midnight. So obviously, my comfort level is pretty high... :D

The thing with London is that it's teaming with people, at all times. That midnight walk? The area was packed. I personally find crowds reassuring when alone, so it was perfect. Honestly, there's nothing easier or more civilised (note, I'm going all Brit spelling here ;)) than a night at the theatre in London. Gosh, I can practically taste the intermission ice cream... just 3 weeks left, and I will be :).

The suggestion for the half-price ticket booth is a good one, but they won't have all shows - usually no Miz, so if you're set on that (or any show really), buy in advance.

BTW, we did the Stonehenge-Bath bus tour on our first trip there too - loved it! Bath is really a gorgeous city...

The way I read the OP, it's a single Saturday night in London, with an early morning pickup. I don't think both Westminster Abbey/Greenwich and dinner/show are practical for someone who's not used to being self-reliant.

Why not?? Westminster/Greenwich would be a half a day, tops. All depends on when her transfer drops her off at the hotel, but seems quite doable to me.

Thanks for the replies, nice to know it is doable. I am pretty self-reliant, but honestly don't like crowds - lol. It may just be smarter to not spend the money for Les Mis. Get to London and have a relaxing afternoon taking my time, then prepare for the long day the next day. Will have to keep thinking on this one.

Thanks,

Tammy

I have spent a total of about six weeks in London by myself. I have been to a number of plays and then gone back to where I was staying by Tube.

Chances are good you will be checked in to your hotel by one in the afternoon. You could easily do one of the river cruises to Greenwich and back, have dinner and catch a show.

Enjoy!

Hi All,

Tammy

Yes, I went to see Miss Saigon alone. I just took a taxi from my hotel to the theater. There are tons of restaurants and pubs/bar in theater district. Since this area is quite popular with tourist and locals there isn't anything to be worried about other then maybe pick pockets. As long as you follow common sense security issues like not bringing or wearing any valuables other then just enough cash and a credit card for that evening you should be fine. Just don't wander off into dark or unlit areas.