Need a VISA to go to the BAHAMAS???

qbanrican84

Am I confused?

The OP said the contact WAS made and the Bahamian Embassy said she needed a visa. What would the purpose of a phone call be? Why is this so difficult for people to understand and why do they want to question what appears to be the facts with information a decade old, information from other countries, etc. etc. etc.

Get the visa and don't worry about it. If they don't need it, no harm. If they do, you'll be glad you did.

The problem is that published information from the Bahamas government conflicts with the answer that was received from the contact person. Check this from the official government website and you'll see that citizens of Colombia do not require a visa:

http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/wps/wcm/connect/bf838397-2677-410e-9987-87fa188e4966/Visa+Requirements+for+Visitors+Travelling+to+The+Bahamas1.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Further, information from the official Bahamas tourism agency, previously cited on this thread, also says that US permanent residents do not need a visa for visits not exceeding 30 days...their "green card" and passport from their country of citizenship suffice:

http://www.bahamas.com/entry-requirements

US Permanent Residents (Non-citizens)

To enter The Bahamas, US residents who are not citizens need the following documentation:

Alien Registration Card (Green Card)

For visits NOT exceeding 30 days:

An original Alien Registration Card is required, along with a national passport (passport from country of birth).

For visits exceeding 30 days:

A valid national passport and a Bahamas visa are required for US resident non-citizens wishing to stay longer than 30 days.

So, we have two presumably authoritative and official sources that disagree with the response (presumably email) received.

I think the evidence suggests that the email response received is likely incorrect. The OP needs to take the investigation one step further to be certain.

Edited by njhorseman

In every Bahamas port I traveled to, all I needed was my cruise card to exit and return to the ship. The announcements on the cruise did say to bring your photo id, but no Bahamian official ever asked for or needed to view any of my documentation.

Are you from Columbia?

Understandable, but from my experience this year I was sharing that the ship only had us bring our sail and sign card and photo i.d. when we exited the ship. Providing proof of citizenship was only done at embarkation and disembarkation and not required (or asked for) during port visits.

Understandable, but from my experience this year I was sharing that the ship only had us bring our sail and sign card and photo i.d. when we exited the ship. Providing proof of citizenship was only done at embarkation and disembarkation and not required (or asked for) during port visits.

That's because the cruise line doesn't allow people that don't have the proper documentation (or if they even THINK they have the wrong documentation) to even board the ship in the first place.

OP, I would rather be safe than sorry. There are stories all the time where cruise lines make mistakes when it comes to U.S. customs/immigration law, I wouldn't even want to see how many times they've screwed up when it comes to the immigration laws of foreign countries. Better to have the visa and not need it than to need it and not have it (or have the cruise line mistakenly believe they need it).

If any specific documentation is required by non U.S. citizens for any given port, it will be handled upon the original boarding.

It is very common in many/most ports to only show a ships ID, and sometimes just about any photo ID. It is not an issue for getting on and off in most ports. Getting on the ship in the first place is where it gets difficult.

That's because the cruise line doesn't allow people that don't have the proper documentation (or if they even THINK they have the wrong documentation) to even board the ship in the first place.

OP, I would rather be safe than sorry. There are stories all the time where cruise lines make mistakes when it comes to U.S. customs/immigration law, I wouldn't even want to see how many times they've screwed up when it comes to the immigration laws of foreign countries. Better to have the visa and not need it than to need it and not have it (or have the cruise line mistakenly believe they need it).

Yep 150 American citizens were denied boarding the carnival splendor a few year ago because they didn't have visas for brazil

They even agreed to not disembark in any Brazilian port if they could just be allowed to embark in Miami

Nope couldn't get on

Someone dropped the ball big time on that one.

Btw it was the inaugural South America cruise and a one time shot cruise so it doesn't take a genius to realize that both pax and cruise were ill informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep 150 American citizens were denied boarding the carnival splendor a few year ago because they didn't have visas for brazil

They even agreed to not disembark in any Brazilian port if they could just be allowed to embark in Miami

Nope couldn't get on

Someone dropped the ball big time on that one.

Btw it was the inaugural South America cruise and a one time shot cruise so it doesn't take a genius to realize that both pax and cruise were ill informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I remember reading that on cc

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
WOW, thanks everyone for your input...

Yea, I even followed up with the person I emailed and they sent me this:

"Ms.Garcia:

Yes ma'am even if it is one day you must have the visa.

Regards,

Suzy Barrera"

But did you tell them you were arriving as part of a cruise itinerary?

But did you tell them you were arriving as part of a cruise itinerary?

Yes, I specified that she will be there for ONE day, as a stop on a cruise.

Either way, I called back yesterday and spoke to someone else who told me that all she needs is passport and green card...smh :rolleyes: they need to get their crap straight...