Dynamic Dining postponed for Oasis & Allure

brfan

We just back from a NCL cruise and the only complaint we had was the dining. It was a complete disaster and even though we had dining reservations we made before the cruise, every night we sat at a different table, the wait staff didn't to really care and the wait for food was long because some tables were having salad at the same time others were having dessert. IMHO, freestyle or dynamic dining is a complete failure. There were long lines at every restaurant every night that we had to cut through since we were the lucky ones with pre-reservations. A set table at a set time is wonderful and we really missed this luxury!

Good News! With some luck they are discovering that DD is a terrible idea. Maybe I won't end up finding another cruise line after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were my favorite for a lot of years but I recognized the changes that would be made all the way back to when they put a surcharge on Johnny Rockets. Saw it coming. :( However, wherever you go, you can't really escape it.

I replied to your overreaction there, too! :)

Your reply screaming in all caps at the poster who shared their opinion BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCE is the very definition of overreaction.

Everyone on the ship had these problems?

Speaking in absolutes... ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS. NEVER NEVER NEVER. NONE NONE NONE. NO ONE NO ONE NO ONE. NO NO NO.

I will let other people be the guinea pigs. I won't book a ship with DD until they improve it and I have read plenty of positive feedback. No bookings of Quantum class for me. And I won't book Oasis class until they make a definite decision. Won't risk having DD until it is improved and proven.

While DD won't kill me, maim me, or ruin my life I still want a good cruise.

i believe all the dining times have been switched back to traditional or MTD whatever you originally booked.

We are doing the Allure in June and yesterday I spoke to a rep who said the current plan is for traditional and MTD but of course he couldn't guarantee RC wasn't going to change it again. But it sounds to me like it has been scrapped indefinitely. I really don't care but now I can't try Coastal Kitchen and we don't get that high level room that often. Oh well, I guess a cruise on the Allure in the Med will cheer me up. 😊

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are doing the Allure in June and yesterday I spoke to a rep who said the current plan is for traditional and MTD but of course he couldn't guarantee RC wasn't going to change it again. But it sounds to me like it has been scrapped indefinitely. I really don't care but now I can't try Coastal Kitchen and we don't get that high level room that often. Oh well, I guess a cruise on the Allure in the Med will cheer me up. 😊

Coastal kitchen was the one thing added that got raves and was well liked. They could still add a CK on Allure as it really is more a suite perk then a DD venue. Love to see something like this this fleet wide. The newer NCL ships have the Haven restaurant now so I'd love to see Royal stay in step with this.

Coastal Kitchen does still appear to be going to be added to the Allure -

From RCCL website - Ships - Allure -

NEW FOR SUITE GUESTS

The Coastal Kitchen restaurant offering fresh cuisine that fuses Mediterranean influences with California cool.

A private lounge with ocean views.

A dedicated sun deck with loungers.

Although other things like Wonderland etc have been removed from the listing of what is on/going to be the Allure, CK has stayed.

Coastal kitchen was the one thing added that got raves and was well liked. They could still add a CK on Allure as it really is more a suite perk then a DD venue. Love to see something like this this fleet wide. The newer NCL ships have the Haven restaurant now so I'd love to see Royal stay in step with this.

Coastal Kitchen does still appear to be going to be added to the Allure -

From RCCL website - Ships - Allure -

NEW FOR SUITE GUESTS

The Coastal Kitchen restaurant offering fresh cuisine that fuses Mediterranean influences with California cool.

A private lounge with ocean views.

A dedicated sun deck with loungers.

Although other things like Wonderland etc have been removed from the listing of what is on/going to be the Allure, CK has stayed.

IMHO they really need it to compete with suite offerings on their competitor lines. The fact that it's been well received so far makes adding it a no brainier.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

My reservation on my May 9 Oasis sailing now shows Traditonal Main Seating, 6 PM, which is what I originally reserved. Now to get linked back up with my group!:cool:

We had two other bookings linked with our Septemer cruise and they all went to 6pm traditional and stayed linked.

THE WEBSITE HAS BEEN UPDATED!

My reservation (May 23) now says MTD instead of DD!

Traditional Dining 08:30 PM , No Waitlists

SO happy to see that on my cruise page!!!!

I will let other people be the guinea pigs. I won't book a ship with DD until they improve it and I have read plenty of positive feedback. No bookings of Quantum class for me. And I won't book Oasis class until they make a definite decision. Won't risk having DD until it is improved and proven.

While DD won't kill me, maim me, or ruin my life I still want a good cruise.

Perfectly stated.

I will never understand the "you havent tried it!" posts. I have to try everything before I can predict whether I would like it or not? I am old enough to make a educated guess about what I might and might not like based on the information presented, especially when it comes to a major investment like a cruise. Once the kinks are worked out on other guinea pigs on their dime, I might be tempted to try DD, but not now.

One of my biggest pleasures of cruising is having a seat waiting for me with a waiter who knows my quirks and is ready to provide me with a great meal. Dynamic Dining is likely not for me, unless major improvements are made. Others may feel differently, that is fine.

Why not give cruisers choices, a few ships in each class with each type of dining.

Traditional Dining 08:30 PM , No Waitlists

SO happy to see that on my cruise page!!!!

Perfectly stated.

I will never understand the "you havent tried it!" posts. I have to try everything before I can predict whether I would like it or not? I am old enough to make a educated guess about what I might and might not like based on the information presented, especially when it comes to a major investment like a cruise. Once the kinks are worked out on other guinea pigs on their dime, I might be tempted to try DD, but not now.

One of my biggest pleasures of cruising is having a seat waiting for me with a waiter who knows my quirks and is ready to provide me with a great meal. Dynamic Dining is likely not for me, unless major improvements are made. Others may feel differently, that is fine.

Why not give cruisers choices, a few ships in each class with each type of dining.

Very happy to be a guinea pig for DD. If I only ever ate at the same restaurant at the same table with the same waiters (who know me) every time I eat out, I would find life very boring - actually just as I find the same old MDR menus every time I cruise with RC. I eat out a lot - part of the pleasure is trying different food at different restaurants so I guess that makes me a type of guinea pig every time I don't eat the same food at the same restaurant and that's fine with me;)

Different strokes for different folks - bring on DD for me :D

And for those who don't want it - as you say for those cruisers who like choices - all the other RC ships have those options anyway.

Edited by Bobal

We are booked on the 9/12/15 Oasis with a 4 year old and a 2 year old. I love traditional dining for the luxury of being stress-free in the knowledge that your table, waiters and changing menusi are waiting for you.

I am now dreading the 9/12 cruise after reading all the bad reviews from Quantum cruisers. Small children have no patience for waiting, lost reservations and late dining.

It made NO sense for RCI to implement such a major change fleet wide without a trial run. Now the management seems to be coming to their senses. I hope the delay of implementation to DD extends to my sailing.

My reservation went from DD to Open dining. I hope that my TA can get our family to traditional 6:00 dining.

If we hadn't booked this cruise with our children and grandchildren I would definitely cancel.

Please No DD for the Oasis!

Very happy to be a guinea pig for DD. If I only ever ate at the same restaurant at the same table with the same waiters (who know me) every time I eat out, I would find life very boring - actually just as I find the same old MDR menus every time I cruise with RC. I eat out a lot - part of the pleasure is trying different food at different restaurants so I guess that makes me a type of guinea pig every time I don't eat the same food at the same restaurant and that's fine with me;)

Different strokes for different folks - bring on DD for me :D

And for those who don't want it - as you say for those cruisers who like choices - all the other RC ships have those options anyway.

You make good points....for changing the menus more often, or having a bigger "everyday" menu and more variety of themed nights.

You also make a good point for rotational dining, like on Disney, where you change restaurants each night and keep the same servers.

I know many people do not think like me, I enjoy chatting with my servers, hearing about where they are from, getting to know them over the week. Some do not do that, that is fine, cruise however you would like, just give me choices. 35 pages of comments on direct dining, I still do not understand the problem dynamic dining is solving. The only valid point I have heard is tired MDR menus, there are much easier ways to fix that. MTD/MDR with more menu variety, a bigger everday menu for those who do not want the theme of the night. Bang, there is no need for dynamic dining, INMHO.

I am glad some like it, some will not, and that is OK.

We are booked on the 9/12/15 Oasis with a 4 year old and a 2 year old. I love traditional dining for the luxury of being stress-free in the knowledge that your table, waiters and changing menusi are waiting for you.

I am now dreading the 9/12 cruise after reading all the bad reviews from Quantum cruisers. Small children have no patience for waiting, lost reservations and late dining.

It made NO sense for RCI to implement such a major change fleet wide without a trial run. Now the management seems to be coming to their senses. I hope the delay of implementation to DD extends to my sailing.

My reservation went from DD to Open dining. I hope that my TA can get our family to traditional 6:00 dining.

If we hadn't booked this cruise with our children and grandchildren I would definitely cancel.

Please No DD for the Oasis!

I realize you prefer traditional dining but don't automatically assume you're going to have the reservation issues that other people had with DD on the Quantum. Our group of 10 had zero reservation issues on 11 out of 11 nights of dining and we never waited in a line as many apparently did.

We went into DD with some trepidation and came away basically neutral on it. I think if it were just the two or us or maybe one other couple, we would actually prefer it. But the group we usually sail with prefers the predictability and less planning aspect of traditional dining and we're happy DD won't be on our April sailing. Probably a pretty good chance it will be delayed into your cruise also.

You make good points....for changing the menus more often, or having a bigger "everyday" menu and more variety of themed nights.

You also make a good point for rotational dining, like on Disney, where you change restaurants each night and keep the same servers.

I know many people do not think like me, I enjoy chatting with my servers, hearing about where they are from, getting to know them over the week. Some do not do that, that is fine, cruise however you would like, just give me choices. 35 pages of comments on direct dining, I still do not understand the problem dynamic dining is solving. The only valid point I have heard is tired MDR menus, there are much easier ways to fix that. MTD/MDR with more menu variety, a bigger everday menu for those who do not want the theme of the night. Bang, there is no need for dynamic dining, INMHO.

I am glad some like it, some will not, and that is OK.

I think like you! :D

And I do agree with your point that the issue of boring menus could have easily been resolved otherwise. They could have debuted a whole new set of menus for Quantum Class, something more interesting. There definitely could have been a way to please everyone!!

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I think like you! :D

And I do agree with your point that the issue of boring menus could have easily been resolved otherwise. They could have debuted a whole new set of menus for Quantum Class, something more interesting. There definitely could have been a way to please everyone!!

Thanks. I was actually really looking forward to the new menus of dynamic dining, especially silk. The Asian tacos appetizer was going to be ordered in multiples at my table.... I was not looking forward to the service changes. On Disney and Princess, where I have always had fantastic service, the quality of service seems to go down during lunch services in the MDR where you do not have your regular crew. It just looses that extra sparkle. I was worried DD would loose the sparkle I have grown accustomed to. Some want no sparkle, that is fine.

I read on another site just now, take it for what it is worth, someone claiming someone higher up at Royal has said they are going to refine and fix DD but limit it to ships designed and built for the concept and not end up on Oasis or Allure.

Makes you wonder about Oasis 3 though, they could change quite a bit internally on the ship between the current design and a ship now due out in a few years.

I read on another site just now, take it for what it is worth, someone claiming someone higher up at Royal has said they are going to refine and fix DD but limit it to ships designed and built for the concept and not end up on Oasis or Allure.

Makes you wonder about Oasis 3 though, they could change quite a bit internally on the ship between the current design and a ship now due out in a few years.

That's interesting! Can you post a link or is it a website that can not be mentioned here?

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

It would be nice if they incorporate some of the more popular menu items from the various DD venues on Quantum to the other ships dining room menu.

Some of the menu items and desserts were very good on Quantum

It would be nice if they incorporate some of the more popular menu items from the various DD venues on Quantum to the other ships dining room menu.

That's interesting! Can you post a link or is it a website that can not be mentioned here?

If I try to post it, it just stars out the information, unfortunately. Emmy, I have seen a number of menu items I would like to try. They would make for some nice updates to the current MDR menus, in my opinion.

The only valid point I have heard is tired MDR menus, there are much easier ways to fix that. MTD/MDR with more menu variety, a bigger everday menu for those who do not want the theme of the night. Bang, there is no need for dynamic dining, INMHO.

Actually, that is a good point twindaddy. There is a second point they are trying to address though, and that's the perennial conflict between those who want to dress up nicely for dinner, and those who adamantly don't. But expanding the existing MDR menus with much of what's on the new Quantum menus, plus maybe making a portion (maybe one floor?) of the MDR "shorts/t-shirts/flip flops" territory would seem to solve all the significant issues with much less complications and issues than DD.