Formal Night Questions

knittinggirl

We just booked our second Holland America cruise, the last one was in 1999.

We've gotten quite lax during formal night on Royal Caribbean. How strict is formal night these days? I've been wearing a lace top over a top and black pants. And we've had some dining companions that didn't do anything different.

On our last cruise, we hid out in our cabin on formal night because DH had broken his arm, and all he could wear were t-shirts with snaps down the entire length of the sleeve.

Edited by knittinggirl

You do not have to hang out in your cabin on formal night nor do you have to dress up. If you do not dress up you will not be able to get into the MDR or Pinnacle Grill. There are still lots of other dinning options and you can go to any other area of the ship with out dressing up.

You will find many people do not do "Formal Nights" and many who do change into something comfortable right after dinner.

Your described attire for formal night would be fine. Your husband may, or may not, be able to dine in the MDR or PG if he is not wearing a coat & tie.

Be aware that the Lido buffet closes down early at dinner... 8pm. Many here report they stop replenishing food as earlier as 7:30pm or so.

Your described attire for formal night would be fine. Your husband may, or may not, be able to dine in the MDR or PG if he is not wearing a coat & tie.

Be aware that the Lido buffet closes down early at dinner... 8pm. Many here report they stop replenishing food as earlier as 7:30pm or so.

While the dress code is not always enforced in the MDR, we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam earlier this month and a man was turned away because he did not have a jacket for formal night.

The black slacks and lace top is perfect. Black slacks and various tops is very common for formal night attire. We are just off the Noordam and in the MDR, as long as the gentleman had a coat, he was okay. In fact they had a collection of them hanging on the podium and would lend them out as needed. If a person has a medical issue such as your husband's arm, they will accommodate as needed. All he really would have to do is drape a jacket over his shoulder and he should be good to go. He can then remove the jacket at the table. I know it seems a but weird but have seen it happen.

We were on the Noordam in November. I also saw the collection of coats at the dining room entrance, but I saw men who were not formally dressed (shirt and slacks, no tie, no coat), and they were seated for formal night.

What I noticed was the lack of photo ops (formal night, etc.) on the ship. I was used to seeing a background setup around every corner, but not on our cruise.

I was pleasantly surprised on the Noordam for the W Caribbean prior to Christmas. Very formal on the first formal night. Actually at least 10% in tux (late fixed). More surprising was the decidely younger demographic. Good number of 20-30 somethings. All dressed very well. So much for predicting. I would say go with what consider formal and wait to be glad that you are fitting right in.

Dennis