Quantum Reviews Mixed

I was reading the recent reviews for QOS and was surprised by the number of negative reviews. I do notice this for many lines and ships too and always take each one with a grain of salt.

Most of the bad reviews were based on customers feeling the ship and staff wasn't ready for the debut and that kinks were still being worked out. My question is simple - shouldn't customers get a discount during this time period? Why do we, as customers, find it acceptable to put our hard earned money down for a trip and then give a company a pass because they are "working the kinks out?"

I supposed if you experienced this you could reduce or eliminate your gratuities, but I personally don't feel it's the fault of the staff.

Just curious and Happy Holiday's to all!

People see a new ship is coming and have to be the first ones on it as I said to my wife they need at least 1 year to work out all the kinks and bug of the new ship. Not to mention the price they are charging for a room,,I thought more people and the price would stay comparable to the explorer which was the ship the quantum replaced for the same literary.

I was reading the recent reviews for QOS and was surprised by the number of negative reviews. I do notice this for many lines and ships too and always take each one with a grain of salt.

Most of the bad reviews were based on customers feeling the ship and staff wasn't ready for the debut and that kinks were still being worked out. My question is simple - shouldn't customers get a discount during this time period? Why do we, as customers, find it acceptable to put our hard earned money down for a trip and then give a company a pass because they are "working the kinks out?"

I supposed if you experienced this you could reduce or eliminate your gratuities, but I personally don't feel it's the fault of the staff.

Just curious and Happy Holiday's to all!

I'm curious as to why you take the time to read people's reviews and then take them with "a grain of salt".

Have you experienced Quantum?, we have and it was bloody hard work when trying to organise / book dining room tables. Food cold, food not turning up at all, 1hr for breakfast to arrive from order. We were forced into speciality dining due to no availability in complimentary.

Put it this way we will not go through it again, too much trouble and stress.

The staff aren't to blame for the current situation onboard, that's down to RCCL and their decisions.

The main reason we are seeing DD introduced is for Rccl to make more $$$$.

Even the cheerleaders blinded by a weird form of loyalty might find it hard to defend this if it doesn't work out for them, if they sample DD.

I'm curious as to why you take the time to read people's reviews and then take them with "a grain of salt".

I'm not sure about the OP, but I can say that after spending many hours over many years reading reviews here and on other travel-related sites, one often needs more than just a few grains... On a positive note, these boards do provide some great entertainment.

We have not sailed on the Quantum, but even before reading the many and varied opinions that have been shared on these boards, we had determined that the ship was not for us. The reviews have only served to confirm our decision.

I'm not sure if it is a fair comparison, but when the OP mentions working out the kinks, it reminds me of some of the appliances that are on the market today and for which many retailers encourage customers to buy extra coverage to protect against defects. Rather than take the extra time or money to trouble-shoot and inspect a product before it is put on the shelf, the manufacturers are counting on the consumer to find the defects, often at their own expense.

Maybe offering a reduced fare for the first few sailings is not such a crazy idea....

I'm curious as to why you take the time to read people's reviews and then take them with "a grain of salt"

Having been on the cruise critic boards since the mid 1990's when it was on AOL only, I've read more reviews than I can count and have learned that since they are obviously very subjective, you have to take them with a grain of salt; both the positive and negative. Two people on the exact same cruise frequently have polar opposite experiences. I have always looked for trends when reading reviews, and if I see a common theme emerging then I conclude there is something to it.

I was on Quantum December 1-12. After some precruise problems with online reservations and an inauspicious start on day 1, we encountered no other difficulties worth complaining about. We enjoyed the cruise, however we were a little disappointed as it did not live up to our expectations, and we felt it was not a typical RCCL product in terms of daily activities and service. So, I would say that we enjoyed it, didn't love it and didn't hate it. We now know that we are not fans of DD, and will look to avoid it in the future. What we found more concerning, was the daily activities, or lack thereof, compared to what we have come to expect from RCCL.

Have you experienced Quantum?, we have and it was bloody hard work when trying to organise / book dining room tables. Food cold, food not turning up at all, 1hr for breakfast to arrive from order. We were forced into speciality dining due to no availability in complimentary.

Even the cheerleaders blinded by a weird form of loyalty might find it hard to defend this.

This "cheerleader" is having absolutely NO problem defending the Quantum...We had a FANTASTIC Back2Back cruise and I am examining the 24 Royal Caribban cruises that we currently have booked to determine which we want to convert to Quantum and Anthem cruises. (We already have two Anthem cruises booked and are looking forward to them.)

Also, we had to exert very little effort to organize our shows and book dining times/tables.

The Quantum style of cruising might not be for you, BUT it IS for me. Kudos to the Quantum...we rate you 12 on a scale of 1-10.

This "cheerleader" is having absolutely NO problem defending the Quantum...We had a FANTASTIC Back2Back cruise and I am examining the 24 Royal Caribban cruises that we currently have booked to determine which we want to convert to Quantum and Anthem cruises. (We already have two Anthem cruises booked and are looking forward to them.)

Also, we had to exert very little effort to organize our shows and book dining times/tables.

The Quantum style of cruising might not be for you, BUT it IS for me. Kudos to the Quantum...we rate you 12 on a scale of 1-10.

May I join you, beachnative? We too had a fantastic time on board the Quantum in November. The ship suited us very well. We ate when we wanted and service was just fine, no complaints. I'm beginning to think that some people are just Misery Magnets and their foreheads are branded "Q." Glad we're not among that crowd. We have the Quantum and Anthem booked for '15 and '16 and I already know we're going to like it.

You said it best: she's not for everyone, but when you love her, you love her. :D

I'm not sure about the OP, but I can say that after spending many hours over many years reading reviews here and on other travel-related sites, one often needs more than just a few grains... On a positive note, these boards do provide some great entertainment.

We have not sailed on the Quantum, but even before reading the many and varied opinions that have been shared on these boards, we had determined that the ship was not for us. The reviews have only served to confirm our decision.

I'm not sure if it is a fair comparison, but when the OP mentions working out the kinks, it reminds me of some of the appliances that are on the market today and for which many retailers encourage customers to buy extra coverage to protect against defects. Rather than take the extra time or money to trouble-shoot and inspect a product before it is put on the shelf, the manufacturers are counting on the consumer to find the defects, often at their own expense.

Maybe offering a reduced fare for the first few sailings is not such a crazy idea....

If the reviews have only served to confirm your decision, your being very naive and foolish IMHO. As was posted earlier two people can be on the same cruise with polar opposites as far as their experience. Have read many reviews on CC and the only answer you can truly come up with is unless you have cruised a particular ship and sailed a particular itinerary your basically guessing. Common sense goes a long way......:D

If the reviews have only served to confirm your decision, your being very naive and foolish IMHO. As was posted earlier two people can be on the same cruise with polar opposites as far as their experience. Have read many reviews on CC and the only answer you can truly come up with is unless you have cruised a particular ship and sailed a particular itinerary your basically guessing. Common sense goes a long way......:D

I have been called worse things than naive and foolish.....

Although I don't use a custom signature, my husband and I have taken enough cruises to know what appeals to us and what we would choose to avoid. Our travel interests are varied and wide-ranging, and are not limited to cruising.

While some aspects may involve guessing, facts like the number of passengers, deck plans showing no outdoor dining, etc. can be used as a comparison to past experiences on other ships when deciding how to spend our limited holiday resources in the most cost-effective way.

The staff aren't to blame for the current situation onboard, that's down to RCCL and their decisions.

The main reason we are seeing DD introduced is for Rccl to make more $$$$.

Even the cheerleaders blinded by a weird form of loyalty might find it hard to defend this if it doesn't work out for them, if they sample DD.

AGREE 100 % thus is not a staff nor a kinks problem alone it is a whole system design mess/ MONETIZE is the only word they considered.

Just back yesterday NEVER AGAIN on a Dining Disaster ship. Pay more get less be happy is this ships theme. Even star are starting to make more comments about being unhappy about this floating DUNB ship.

George in NY

I have been called worse things than naive and foolish.....

Although I don't use a custom signature, my husband and I have taken enough cruises to know what appeals to us and what we would choose to avoid. Our travel interests are varied and wide-ranging, and are not limited to cruising.

While some aspects may involve guessing, facts like the number of passengers, deck plans showing no outdoor dining, etc. can be used as a comparison to past experiences on other ships when deciding how to spend our limited holiday resources in the most cost-effective way.

but not what you said in your previous post....:rolleyes: