Carnival getting rid of show bands

papadewey

I wonder if any of the people posting here that they don't care about entertainment (gee, same 2 or 3 people that show up in every thread with anything negative Carnival, claiming a cut is an upgrade) EVER cruised more than 10 years ago, or even 20+ years ago and can remember the PHENOMENAL high energy, well done, rehearsed, choreographed entertainment Carnival was WELL KNOWN for.

Maybe they don't go to shows because, well, they are mostly crap now? Maybe if the entertainment was as lavish and exciting as it used to be they'd think differently? Or maybe they are just paid off by Carnival to post on this forum and downplay and negative opinions people have about cutbacks and reductions.

Hey, if you REALLY don't care about entertainment, go find another thread to post in. Carnival has lost tens of thousands of dollars of my bookings in recent years because I don't pay to watch a game show with guests as the main entertainment. I remember the colorful sets, big bands, great flashy dancers, etc. It's not the type of entertainment I go to at home, but it is part of the cruising experience. If you want to sit in a deck chair and hum to yourself, have at it, but getting a little sick of the same few people jumping into every conversation to defend cutbacks and telling others it doesn't matter.

I'm one of those that chimed in that it doesn't matter to me, but that was pages ago and I would guess this post is not referring to all of us - but just maybe the few that like to keep poking at the ones that do find it important.

There's nothing wrong with entertainment being a priority when cruising. We went on our first cruise in 2001 and remember the better shows with live music. But even then, it never much mattered to me. I have the ability to see great shows often living so close to NY and Philly. Even in my small NJ county there are opportunities all year round to see wonderful shows within a 10-20 minute drive. When I cruise it's mostly to relax and enjoy the sun and time spent with my family and friends - and EAT! I rarely participate in passenger games, and the shows only ever come to mind when everything else for the evening is ruled out as an activity. I do love the live bands along the Promenade deck and the small venue live music. I think I would miss that more than I do the main theater productions if they were to disappear totally.

So for some of us, it's not about defending Carnival. It's just a preference. I do agree that the Hasbro game show is totally lame, and I really didn't think that was supposed to be considered a "show." We saw it on the Freedom earlier this year and my kids thought it was funny. But even they didn't wanna go back and see it a second time. :) On the other hand, I thought 88 Keys was just as good as any show I had seen in years prior. We only went to one show on an 8-day cruise though. Most of the time we opted to do other things but not because we thought the shows were bad. The one we did see was great.

I wonder if any of the people posting here that they don't care about entertainment (gee, same 2 or 3 people that show up in every thread with anything negative Carnival, claiming a cut is an upgrade) EVER cruised more than 10 years ago, or even 20+ years ago and can remember the PHENOMENAL high energy, well done, rehearsed, choreographed entertainment Carnival was WELL KNOWN for.

Maybe they don't go to shows because, well, they are mostly crap now? Maybe if the entertainment was as lavish and exciting as it used to be they'd think differently? Or maybe they are just paid off by Carnival to post on this forum and downplay and negative opinions people have about cutbacks and reductions.

Hey, if you REALLY don't care about entertainment, go find another thread to post in. Carnival has lost tens of thousands of dollars of my bookings in recent years because I don't pay to watch a game show with guests as the main entertainment. I remember the colorful sets, big bands, great flashy dancers, etc. It's not the type of entertainment I go to at home, but it is part of the cruising experience. If you want to sit in a deck chair and hum to yourself, have at it, but getting a little sick of the same few people jumping into every conversation to defend cutbacks and telling others it doesn't matter.

I started cruising with Carnival back in the early nineties during those years all Carnival ships were rocking and rolling but around 2005 changes started in the entertainment section. I will still cruise with carnival because they do provide the best bang for your buck.

Gary

Why would the word paying be in quotes? Do people think that means to add emphasis? It really just makes it look suspicious.

Regardless, if entertainment isn't a concern for a few particular posters I am not sure what they are doing in this thread bleating like sheep about that it doesn't matter to them. What are they trying to accomplish other than seeking attention, trying to derail a topic, or trying to downplay a corporate cut for some other motive?

Or maybe we are just voicing our opinion, the same as you. When people post that Carnival is down grading their product by introducing play list productions and cutting the live bands and suggesting that we write to the CEO to voice our complaints, I have every right to voice a my differing opinion that for us it is not a down grade in the product to us and in essence isn't that big of deal to us when we choose a Carnival cruise.

I am not a Carnival loyalist...I am a Carnival realist. When I want better entertainment I practice what I preach and choose a ship with better entertainment....and everytime I have done that, I have paid more for that cruise (Epic, Disney Wonder and Magic...even our NCL Jewel and Ruby Princess cruises had better entertainment at a higher cost than our Carnvival cruises). Carnival offers us many things that we value when we are cruising. Excellant entertainment is not and has not been one of those things since we enjoyed our first cruise with them in 2005. We don't choose them for their entertainment but for the other items we enjoy.

Some people just can't understand why entertainment isn't on everyones must haves for a great cruise. IMHO that is not my problem it is theirs....and I still have a right on an open forum to voice my opinion, even if it is different than theirs.

Or maybe we are just voicing our opinion, the same as you. When people post that Carnival is down grading their product by introducing play list productions and cutting the live bands and suggesting that we write to the CEO to voice our complaints, I have every right to voice a my differing opinion that for us it is not a down grade in the product to us and in essence isn't that big of deal to us when we choose a Carnival cruise.

I am not a Carnival loyalist...I am a Carnival realist. When I want better entertainment I practice what I preach and choose a ship with better entertainment....and everytime I have done that, I have paid more for that cruise (Epic, Disney Wonder and Magic...even our NCL Jewel and Ruby Princess cruises had better entertainment at a higher cost than our Carnvival cruises). Carnival offers us many things that we value when we are cruising. Excellant entertainment is not and has not been one of those things since we enjoyed our first cruise with them in 2005. We don't choose them for their entertainment but for the other items we enjoy.

Some people just can't understand why entertainment isn't on everyones must haves for a great cruise. IMHO that is not my problem it is theirs....and I still have a right on an open forum to voice my opinion, even if it is different than theirs.

That's an insightful and well thought out response. Clearly it does not belong on this forum. :D

Hey, everyone can have their opinions. But I don't understand why the same 2 or 3 vehement brand cheerleaders pop into any thread about a cut and spin it as a positive and tell everyone else it doesn't matter (this is not aimed at you by the way).

If people want to talk about INCREASING entertainment options and lobby Carnival to do so, what good does someone coming in here going "I never go to shows, I don't care, I won't write a letter" do? It's just a cry for attention really.

That's an insightful and well thought out response. Clearly it does not belong on this forum. :D

Hey, everyone can have their opinions. But I don't understand why the same 2 or 3 vehement brand cheerleaders pop into any thread about a cut and spin it as a positive and tell everyone else it doesn't matter (this is not aimed at you by the way).

If people want to talk about INCREASING entertainment options and lobby Carnival to do so, what good does someone coming in here going "I never go to shows, I don't care, I won't write a letter" do? It's just a cry for attention really.

Or they could be saying I don't want to pay more for my Carnival cruise if it means bringing back live bands because that is not what I cruise Carnival for. Someone has to pay for the "INCREASING entertainment options". That most likely will be the cruiser. While some of you are more than willing to pay for it others are not and will voice their opinion in oppostition of OP's suggestion just for that reason. When I want better entertainment, I bite the bullet and pay more for my cruise to sail on a ship with better entertainment. But I am glad the Carnival option is out there when I don't want to have to pay more for it. It is what makes Carnival a value to me.

Or they could be saying I don't want to pay more for my Carnival cruise if it means bringing back live bands because that is not what I cruise Carnival for. Someone has to pay for the "INCREASING entertainment options". That most likely will be the cruiser. While some of you are more than willing to pay for it others are not and will voice their opinion in oppostition of OP's suggestion just for that reason. When I want better entertainment, I bite the bullet and pay more for my cruise to sail on a ship with better entertainment. But I am glad the Carnival option is out there when I don't want to have to pay more for it. It is what makes Carnival a value to me.

There's never been any proof that any singular cut results in a measured decrease in cruise fare. It's a logical belief that removing amenities results in a lower price...but if there's no way to prove it does, then to me it is just a cut without a benefit (for the guest).

I am glad you understand that you tend to get what you pay for in life. Carnival has just slid too far in one direction for my tastes. I am critical of them because I have enjoyed my past cruises and would happily give Carnival money for some of the things they continue to chop away at.

There's never been any proof that any singular cut results in a measured decrease in cruise fare. It's a logical belief that removing amenities results in a lower price...but if there's no way to prove it does, then to me it is just a cut without a benefit (for the guest).

I am glad you understand that you tend to get what you pay for in life. Carnival has just slid too far in one direction for my tastes. I am critical of them because I have enjoyed my past cruises and would happily give Carnival money for some of the things they continue to chop away at.

There may be no way to prove it, but like you said it is a logical belief. To many then, it is a cut to save them from paying higher prices, thus they will voice their opinions that it is a cut that does not matter to them and they want to keep the cut to keep prices from rising. You really just answered your own question on why people who don't care are posting on this thread ;).

Edited by Warm Breezes

Why would the word paying be in quotes? Do people think that means to add emphasis? It really just makes it look suspicious.

Regardless, if entertainment isn't a concern for a few particular posters I am not sure what they are doing in this thread bleating like sheep about that it doesn't matter to them. What are they trying to accomplish other than seeking attention, trying to derail a topic, or trying to downplay a corporate cut for some other motive?

So only opinions that mesh with your own are allowed to be shared? I thought the point was discussion not just agreement.

I don't like the showband shows, I like the playlist productions. Why is that a downplay or a paid opinion? It's just an opinion just like yours is an opinion. Are you paid by RCI to bash Carnival?

So only opinions that mesh with your own are allowed to be shared? I thought the point was discussion not just agreement.

I don't like the showband shows, I like the playlist productions. Why is that a downplay or a paid opinion? It's just an opinion just like yours is an opinion. Are you paid by RCI to bash Carnival?

Not at all, but perhaps you should re-read the first post in the thread. This is a thread for people who WANT entertainment restored to former levels. Therefore suggest you start your own thread saying you prefer the lower levels of entertainment if that's the case. Carnival providing better entertainment for those that want it takes nothing away from people that do not care either way. If you're entertained by other options on the ship, great, so be it.

I am not paid by any cruise line for anything. You will find my postings very critical of RCI lately. But it is undeniable the same two or three people always show up in ANY thread critical of Carnival and try to derail the conversation.

Just out of pure curiosity, what year did you see your first show on a Carnival ship? That may have something to do with things. If you never saw a really great Carnival show you don't know what you are missing.

2011, but I am no stranger to great live shows, I frequently attend the Broadway touring shows. I have seen amazing high quality shows like Wicked, RENT, Hairspray, Legally Blonde, Shrek, The Book of Mormon, The Lion King, Jersey Boys... I know what a great live show is, and I still find the playlist production shows to be more entertaining than the boring garbage currently being passed off as a show. And I'm pretty sure it's more than two or three people here who prefer the newer shows or could pass on the showband

Agreed.

Amazing how many people find there way here to complain and bash a company for changes. Some people can't change and complain. Others take it in stride and adapt to changes and wait for the next set of changes. Good or bad. I don't like it when gas prices go up, but it happens.

Not at all, but perhaps you should re-read the first post in the thread. This is a thread for people who WANT entertainment restored to former levels. Therefore suggest you start your own thread saying you prefer the lower levels of entertainment if that's the case. Carnival providing better entertainment for those that want it takes nothing away from people that do not care either way. If you're entertained by other options on the ship, great, so be it.

I am not paid by any cruise line for anything. You will find my postings very critical of RCI lately. But it is undeniable the same two or three people always show up in ANY thread critical of Carnival and try to derail the conversation.

Just out of pure curiosity, what year did you see your first show on a Carnival ship? That may have something to do with things. If you never saw a really great Carnival show you don't know what you are missing.

I saw my first show in 2001 and many of those SAME shows are still playing on Carnival ships... they sucked then and suck now... I'd like to see a change. I know it's hard for people to change, but hating to hate, is just not worth your time or misery. However, NO ONE is forcing you or anyone to sail Carnival, Princess, RCI, Norwegian, etc... Stay home and watch a video if that makes you happy. But change is inevitable.

Edited by poison7fl

Agreed.

Amazing how many people find there way here to complain and bash a company for changes. Some people can't change and complain. Others take it in stride and adapt to changes and wait for the next set of changes. Good or bad. I don't like it when gas prices go up, but it happens.

If someone isn't happy with a change, they do have a right to be disappointed with said change. They are a paying customer after all. Everyone cruises for a different reason. What may be important to you may not be important to me and vice versa. I had two disappointing cruises and a third really bad experience with Carnival in a row, followed by a plethora of changes I wasn't thrilled about. Should I just accept it, shut up and book a Carnival cruise? Absolutely not! I'm not going to spend my TIME patronizing a company that provides a product or service that I dislike in its present condition.

Edited by Disconnections

I saw my first show in 2001 and many of those SAME shows are still playing on Carnival ships... they sucked then and suck now... I'd like to see a change. I know it's hard for people to change, but hating to hate, is just not worth your time or misery.

No one is hating to hate. I prefer live bands during shows.

Not at all, but perhaps you should re-read the first post in the thread. This is a thread for people who WANT entertainment restored to former levels. Therefore suggest you start your own thread saying you prefer the lower levels of entertainment if that's the case.

Actually the very first sentence in the very first post ask if you like live music? Are you supposed to be quiet unless that answer is absolutely yes and nothing else will do? If people can appreciate your perspective, I don't see why you can't appreciate the perspective of others that don't see the topic the exact same way you do.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

If someone isn't happy with a change, they do have a right to be disappointed with said change. They are a paying customer after all. Everyone cruises for a different reason. What may be important to you may not be important to me and vice versa. I had two disappointing cruises and a third really bad experience with Carnival in a row, followed by a plethora of changes I wasn't thrilled about. Should I just accept it, shut up and book a Carnival cruise? Absolutely not! I'm not going to spend my TIME patronizing a company that provides a product or service that I dislike in its present condition.

Just because you don't like the product in its present condition doesn't mean others dislike as well. You've been spending your money on other lines lately. That is exactly what I would suggest if you are not happy with Carnival and want to spend your money elsewhere. I don't mind spending my money on Carnival or any other line that has a ship that offers me what I want out of that particular vacation.

The thing I don't do is constantly complain about the changes. I accept the changes for what they are and pick my cruises based on the ship as it is today. So what if Carnival is lacking in entertainment. Apparently with their price they are still filling a niche that many cruisers like and are willing to accept their entertainment for the price they are paying. Myself included. Who am I to demand that they have better entertainment when there are other options out there with the better entertainment if I am willing to pay for it for that cruise? That's just how I look at it. Others don't agree and that is their right to do so. However all of our arguments for or against are legitimate to the individuals posting it so who is to say we are wrong for posting our opinion?

It's interesting how anyone who disagrees with LMaxwell is considered a "cheerleader". What a hoot! I am a cheerleader for no one. I just find it funny that something that is such a minor part of cruising causing such concern to some people. If great shows hold such importance to someone, cruise with someone else (if you think Carnival's shows are bad). If someone doesn't care about the shows (such as myself either back in 2000 when I started cruising or now), Carnival is just fine (or anyone else).

BTW, there is no such thing as a cutback if what was supposedly cutback never mattered to the cruiser to begin with. I still have seen any supposed cutback that ever mattered to me, at least in a bad way. I am very happy they got rid of the Lido steel bands so as far as I'm concerned, that was an upgrade!!

Just because you don't like the product in its present condition doesn't mean others dislike as well. You've been spending your money on other lines lately. That is exactly what I would suggest if you are not happy with Carnival and want to spend your money elsewhere. I don't mind spending my money on Carnival or any other line that has a ship that offers me what I want out of that particular vacation.

The thing I don't do is constantly complain about the changes. I accept the changes for what they are and pick my cruises based on the ship as it is today. So what if Carnival is lacking in entertainment. Apparently with their price they are still filling a niche that many cruisers like and are willing to accept their entertainment for the price they are paying. Myself included. Who am I to demand that they have better entertainment when there are other options out there with the better entertainment if I am willing to pay for it for that cruise? That's just how I look at it. Others don't agree and that is their right to do so. However all of our arguments for or against are legitimate to the individuals posting it so who is to say we are wrong for posting our opinion?

Does anyone else find it ironic that Disconections states "I'm not going to spend my TIME patronizing a company that provides a product or service that I dislike in its present condition." and yet has no problem whatsoever spending his time patronizing the boards of the company he refuses to spend time on??? :confused:

Does anyone else find it ironic that Disconections states "I'm not going to spend my TIME patronizing a company that provides a product or service that I dislike in its present condition." and yet has no problem whatsoever spending his time patronizing the boards of the company he refuses to spend time on??? :confused:

I didn't realize hanging out on a forum operated independently from Carnival Cruise Lines is now considered the same as stepping on a ship. Who knew?

By the way, Cruise Critic is owned and operated by TripAdvisor, LLC.

Edited by Disconnections

I've been cruising since 2000 and the theater shows have always pretty much sucked! We stopped going to them years ago. We noticed on our last cruise a couple weeks ago on the Inspiration that throughout the ship the live music bands and comedians were the best we have ever seen on a cruise ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did he really say that? Find it hard to believe it could possibly cost more.

Yes, he really did - in response to my post on his FB page. They now contract that "entertainment" through another company rather than producing the shows themselves which may explain the cost but raises even bigger questions about the logic. I've approached Carnival and John Heald about this topic so many times, but am now also Platinum on Princess and life goes on.

I've opened a thread about this issue to get a slightly more objective consensus of peoples opinions please go to my thread and sign up under the list that expresses your feelings about playlist productions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Thanks to all that responded to my plea to save the show bands in the main theater on any Carnival ship. For those of you that agree this is something that makes a cruise special, please take a moment to contact Carnival in some way, letting them know you don't want the live show bands replaced with a music CD.

For those of you that have a different opinion, I guess this is your right. Just as its your right to cruise on whatever ship you wish.

Hopefully Carnival will listen to the people who want a quality experience at the shows, keeping show bands for quality they add, along with their reasonable cruise:) rates.

Sincerely

papadewey

Thanks to all that responded to my plea to save the show bands in the main theater on any Carnival ship. For those of you that agree this is something that makes a cruise special, please take a moment to contact Carnival in some way, letting them know you don't want the live show bands replaced with a music CD.

For those of you that have a different opinion, I guess this is your right. Just as its your right to cruise on whatever ship you wish.

Hopefully Carnival will listen to the people who want a quality experience at the shows, keeping show bands for quality they add, along with their reasonable cruise:) rates.

Sincerely

papadewey

You guess this is our right to have a different opinion than you do?? Really?? :rolleyes:

Yep, I'm cruising the ship I want and I'm happy if Carnival is saving money and giving me lower fare costs by getting rid of live musicians in the theater. I'm hoping Carnival listens to people like me instead of listening to those who want more expensive options which increase everyone's cruise fare. Maybe those who care about and want better shows should shell out more dollars and start cruising other lines that already have better shows.

Edited by Out to sea!

Yep, I'm cruising the ship I want and I'm happy if Carnival is saving money and giving me lower fare costs by getting rid of live musicians in the theater. I'm hoping Carnival listens to people like me instead of listening to those who want more expensive options which increase everyone's cruise fare. Maybe those who care about and want better shows should shell out more dollars and start cruising other lines that already have better shows.

Or, I can stay with Carnival and just enjoy my balcony and the evening sunset with the bottle of wine I brought on board at embarkation and not spend any money in the lounges. Not sure that's what Carnival has in mind either.:rolleyes: