Easiest way to get to the French side on Cruise Day

spunke

We will be on the island for one day and I assume many other ships as well. We thought about renting a car but were concerned about finding parking spots. What is the best and timely way to get to the French side while in port.

Renting a car is an option as driving on the island is fairly easy and on the right side of the road. Yes, parking can be an issue in both Phillipsburg as well as Marigot.

These days when we want to go over to Marigot we typically take the public busses which are more like vans. It is $2.00 per person each way. From Front St. in Phillipsburg walk one street back from the water to Back St. where the court house is. That is where the busses leave from. They will have signs in the windows showing where the are going. Look for Phillipsberg - Marigot. They run frequently. On your way back just go to the area in Marigot where you were dropped off and wait for a bus back.

Renting a car is an option as driving on the island is fairly easy and on the right side of the road. Yes, parking can be an issue in both Phillipsburg as well as Marigot.

These days when we want to go over to Marigot we typically take the public busses which are more like vans. It is $2.00 per person each way. From Front St. in Phillipsburg walk one street back from the water to Back St. where the court house is. That is where the busses leave from. They will have signs in the windows showing where the are going. Look for Phillipsberg - Marigot. They run frequently. On your way back just go to the area in Marigot where you were dropped off and wait for a bus back.

Thanks for the insight Ocean Boy. Typically how long does the trip by bus take?

Wow....never knew it was that easy!! Thanks so much for the info. We were thinking about doing a tour(did one once before), but we weren't interested in the beach or airport( we live right between two major NYC airports-and we have our fill of low flying planes. LOL)

Thanks again for the info.....never knew about this

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

We use regular cabs. The vans are intended for and used by the locals. They can be crowded and not welcoming on busy port days. Remember that if all the cruisers took the "cheap seats", the cab drivers would lose their income and local workers looking for a ride home would need to wait. Just saying....

With no set schedule and having to get to the ship, give yourself plenty of time if using the vans.

We use regular cabs. The vans are intended for and used by the locals. They can be crowded and not welcoming on busy port days. Remember that if all the cruisers took the "cheap seats", the cab drivers would lose their income and local workers looking for a ride home would need to wait. Just saying....

With no set schedule and having to get to the ship, give yourself plenty of time if using the vans.

I guess whether the buses are busy or not depends not only on the number of cruise ships in port but the time of day. Many have commented within other posts they were the only ones on the bus, whilst others have enjoyed travelling with the locals. We always prefer using local buses whenever possible on the Islands, and yes I guess in doing so we have deprived a taxi driver of our fare, but in doing so we have provided the bus driver (who on many Islands will actually own the bus) with valuable income.

The final paragraph will apply no matter what form of transport you use. On a recent cruise a couple missed the ship departure as they had over stayed in the local shops which were within walking distance of the terminal!

Public transportation is designed to be used by... the public. I have never felt unwelcomed on one of the buses and rarely have they been full.

Why do you take a cab when it takes business away from a rental agency? Why do you spend your money in one restaurant or shop when it takes that money away from some othwer restaurant or shop? For that matter why do you vacation with one cruise line when another could have used your business?

Go ahead and take a cab. I'll be on the bus chatting with some locals. I've had some great conversations over the years.

As a New Yorker with many many tourists visiting daily, I love to meet them and never mind them taking public transportation here.....I've never felt upset if I had to stand while they were seated. I am grateful they are visiting my beautiful city and spending money here. When in Bermuda the locals encouraged us to use the bus system there.

Different strokes for different folks

Happy New Years

We took a Princess tour that stops in the French part . On the way back, there was an accident ahead on the road ( only one road leading back to ship) that added to what they called rush hour, all tourist driving back toward ships. It took forever to get back and when we did so, we had to get right back on the ship, there was no more time to stay in port. I would give myself a good window to drive back. If you go to the French side, check out Sarafina's cafe and bakery. ( you can Google it ). Just like stopping into France !! Fabulous coffee, pastries and we braught back to the ship the best macarons I have ever had! On site we had a croissant and some other goodies...

Edited by Sailingpeace

We took a Princess tour that stops in the French part . On the way back, there was an accident ahead on the road ( only one road leading back to ship) that added to what they called rush hour, all tourist driving back toward ships. It took forever to get back and when we did so, we had to get right back on the ship, there was no more time to stay in port. I would give myself a good window to drive back. If you go to the French side, check out Sarafina's cafe and bakery. ( you can Google it ). Just like stopping into France !! Fabulous coffee, pastries and we braught back to the ship the best macarons I have ever had! On site we had a croissant and some other goodies...

We love Sarafina's too and always go there every time we're in St. Martin. Looking to make a stop at Sarafina's in a few weeks :):D

• 2 weeks later...
Public transportation is designed to be used by... the public. I have never felt unwelcomed on one of the buses and rarely have they been full.

Why do you take a cab when it takes business away from a rental agency? Why do you spend your money in one restaurant or shop when it takes that money away from some othwer restaurant or shop? For that matter why do you vacation with one cruise line when another could have used your business?

Go ahead and take a cab. I'll be on the bus chatting with some locals. I've had some great conversations over the years.

I completely agree. Public transit is public transit. And i am a member of...the public! If I use it at home am i not also allowed to use it whilst on vacation? The OP post has NO logic. I just wonder where they found THAT particular rulebook?:)

Edited by Mathguy42

OP was talking about the EASIEST way. The local busses are inexpensive and they offer the chance to hang out with the locals, but a taxi would be a whole lot EASIER as well as more comfortable and a whole lot less time consuming. You will probably save well over an hour of your limited time on the island by taking a taxi instead of a bus. It isn't just the many stops, it is getting from the pier into Phillipsburg to catch the bus and then back to the pier after getting off the bus (allow twenty minutes each way) rather than getting the taxi at the pier and taking one back to the pier.

• 3 weeks later...