how early do you arrive at the port

ginka

sailing out of Port Canaveral on Feb. 20th on Carnival Sunshine. The FTTF passes are sold out, and we are not yet platinum or diamond. I would like to get on board ship as soon as possible. What time is a reasonable time to arrive at port. I realize that no matter what time we arrive, we will either be waiting for the time to come to port the ship, or we will be waiting in a line. What time do the lines start to get busy? What time do they start the check in process? If our room is not ready yet, are we still given a key to the room or how do you know when your room is ready? I don't remember ever not being able to get into my room immediately after boarding, so this is new to me.

I would plan on getting to port around 10am and 10:30am. I know that on our last cruise when we came out of the Platinum lounge around 11:30 the lines were VERY long. I would not get there before 10am.

You will get the key to your room when you check in. It is your sign and sail card. You use this card to open your room door, charge on the ship, and get on and off the ship in port.

They will announce when the rooms are ready, I think it is around 1:30 or 2pm.

Keep checking every day for FTTF and maybe you will get lucky.

Hope you have a great time!

I know that some people love to get to the port early, 10am or so, stand in line, wait for boarding to begin, get on, battle the crowds at the buffet, and then roam around with bags in tow for a few hours until staterooms are open, but we prefer to arrive at the port around 1-2pm. By that time , the check in lines are pretty much non-existent. You walk right up, check in, go right onboard, straight to the cabin, drop bags, and then go grab a quick bite to eat (and by then buffet lines have died down as well). It's a much better way to start the cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

We sailed out of PC in June , we had FTTF and we arrived around 10 a.m. and some folks were still exiting the ship :D At the time the employees at port were unsure of where to put the FTTF folks...finally a bit around 11 they allowed us to board. We skipped lines and went straight to our room which was my end goal due to DH's back issues. I say as long as you avoid that 11:30 to 1:30 throng of people you'll be fine on either side of it....

I am with Tapi, arrive after 2pm and you have no lines and your room is ready. I would rather go straight to my room and not have long lines than take the chance of arriving early and then having to wait and wait.

I have said it before and will say it again. FTTF, for me, is not about getting on the ship early but rather having my room ready and shorter lines. Travel with an elderly mobility impaired parent or a nap deprived 3 year old and you will understand better what I am saying. Most times hotel checkout times encourage my FTTF purchases.

Arriving about 10am you take the chance of the port not allowing you in yet and will be standing outside until they open the doors.

Arrive about 10:30 at least you can get in and get a seat.

Check in process should not be that bad. You gt checked in and get a zone number then wait til the ship has cleared for boarding.

you will be waiting. then you get on the ship make your way to the buffet area for lunch-- carrying all your carry ons so pack light.

Cabins are available about 1:30 (which is when the buffet areas really clear out.

To avoid all waiting-- arrive about 1:30-2pm

I always arrive at 10:15-10:30, check in, and on the ship by 11:00 to 11:15 and eating at 11:30. The difference is that on Carnival, you have all the special people who get on first, than those that pay extra money to jump the line etc. On other cruise lines, you can just get on. I also don't lug my bags around, I have one pack pack and have never had an issue at eating lunch early.

Carnival actually "creates" lines on the ship and they "create" bottlenecks" on the ship. Those lines and bottlenecks are called collection points for your dollars. You get funneled through small spaces while they take pictures and ask you to sign up for things.

If you get FTTF, you already gave over your money, so you get to skip the bottlenecks.

For those that cruised on other lines, you know what I mean.

we are usually at port by 10-1015. my thought is what is the difference between waiting in line at the port or just sitting around at the hotel. both cases I have to play the anxious waiting game. at least at the port I can see my new home for the week. in four cruises out of pc only our first cruise on the Monarch did we wait out side for a short time but ended up having the first two seats in line once inside. there is just something about being able to board before the other 2000 people that you are sailing with.

sailing out of Port Canaveral on Feb. 20th on Carnival Sunshine. The FTTF passes are sold out, and we are not yet platinum or diamond. I would like to get on board ship as soon as possible. What time is a reasonable time to arrive at port. I realize that no matter what time we arrive, we will either be waiting for the time to come to port the ship, or we will be waiting in a line. What time do the lines start to get busy? What time do they start the check in process? If our room is not ready yet, are we still given a key to the room or how do you know when your room is ready? I don't remember ever not being able to get into my room immediately after boarding, so this is new to me.

When we sailed out of PC in April 2012, we arrived at the port at 8:30. (We usually arrive to our ports between 8:30 and 9:30. I'd rather sit in a port building and watch the activities going on than in a hotel room.) We checked in right away. We were given our S&S cards, then we sat and made friends with the port people. There were a few other early birds so we made friends with them too. By 10:30, the line to check in was very long. We embarked around 11:30 and saw the line must have had a few hundred people waiting to check in.

We did have to carry our backpacks with us until cabins opened at 1:30, but the drinks helped make our waiting time easier. :D

Have a great cruise.

I would keep checking as often as you can for the FTTF if you really want one. They were sold out when we booked and I recently got on and there was one available. I just got back on today and it was available again. I would log in when I had a chance, tried to do so every day or so. Just my suggestion.

2 weeks ago we arrived at the POM for the Glory at 11, and after checking in with FTTF, we enjoyed watching the last of the guests going home come off the ship on the overhead bridge. We got on the ship a little after noon and went right to our cabin and to the lido for lunch and drinks. Great timing.

This was a recent experience that my in-laws had vs what I did

This was my first cruise and we went out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Freedom. I did have FTTF but wanted to get to the port early. My in-laws planned on leaving the hotel around 1 with the shuttle.

My sister, who lives in the area, picked me and my mom up and after a few stops we headed and arrived around 11:30 (more stops than planned) we checked in, me in minutes with FTTF my mom in about 15-20 in reg line. They allowed her to board with me once she was checked in. We were on board by noon and checking out lunch and the ship.

My in-laws had an issue with the shuttle, their excuse was that the Allure was going out too and so they were busy. Well they ended up at the ship around 2:30pm and barley got on the before 4pm, my FIL was miserable by then and already wishing he would have stayed home. Mainly he hates crowds and lines and so that first experience just started him on the wrong foot :(

So from my experience I prefer to get to the port early with or without FTTF and if I wait a bit for boarding at least I am at the ship and not worried about traffic, shuttles, etc.

Edited by cruisecraze96

I know that some people love to get to the port early, 10am or so, stand in line, wait for boarding to begin, get on, battle the crowds at the buffet, and then roam around with bags in tow for a few hours until staterooms are open, but we prefer to arrive at the port around 1-2pm. By that time , the check in lines are pretty much non-existent. You walk right up, check in, go right onboard, straight to the cabin, drop bags, and then go grab a quick bite to eat (and by then buffet lines have died down as well). It's a much better way to start the cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I concur.

On 12/13/14 we sailed the Liberty out of Port Canaveral and our shuttle from the Comfort Inn left at 9am. We were at the port by 9:15 and inside with our sail and sign cards shortly there after. We also got Zone 1 boarding. Granted they didn't start boarding until around 11:30.

Done this a couple of times at several ports.

We always arrive about 10 or so. No troubles checking bags. No lines checking in. Low number boarding card or priority as it applies. We have never boarded later than 12 or earlier than 11. Most of the time we're on by 11:30 and having a nice bite on the Lido. Lines? No lines because no one's on board. Off to pick a prime deck chair by the pool an watch all the late arrivals dribble on.

Always feels like an extra day of vacation. A real nice way to spend a few hours prior to muster. Wait till 2? Where is a better place to be than on deck chillin?

My new target time is 12:30 and with FTTF until we reach platinum. Last time out of Ft. Lauderdale we got there around 10:30 and sat for two hours. No thanks. We had FTTF. The ship simply took longer to clear customs or whatever it is that they do. The year before out of Port Canaveral we got to the port around 11:00am and was onboard by 11:30am. Sometimes it depends on the port.

Regardless, I've decided that I would rather take my time and enjoy not rushing to get up and out of the hotel room (which I've also paid for), rather than hurry to get to the port early and have to wind up waiting. I no longer feel the need to be amongst the first onboard.

Edited by cruizinisthebest