No Howl at the Moon on the Escape

grovesteve

Howl at the Moon can vary enormously according to the competence of the pianists. The first time we went on the Epic there were awesome pianists, Drew and Tommy, and it was a fantastic experience. But we've seen others who are really not so good.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very true, seen it over & over again.

Epic was awesome standing room only, Getaway not so great.

Howl at the Moon can vary enormously according to the competence of the pianists. The first time we went on the Epic there were awesome pianists, Drew and Tommy, and it was a fantastic experience. But we've seen others who are really not so good.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I definitely agree with this. Howl on our CTN on the Breakaway last January was unbelievably fun and high energy; we didn't have exactly the same experience when we sailed for a week on Breakaway and Getaway later in the year. I think this was partially due to the skill of the performers, and also partially due to the energy of the crowd on a CTN.

We also had the experience of paying for a song and it not being played; this happened multiple times, and most of the time we stayed for the entire performance. Yes, it is true that it could have been played before we got there, but doubt that was the case every time it happened. I understand it is no guarantee and you are taking your chances, and we still had a lot of fun. But I still wish they played my husband's song :)

This is true of any entertainment, when new on the first ship they get the better performers and the passengers are keen.

(although RCI seem to have made a massive mistake with cats on Oasis)

Over time and more ships it gets diluted lesser performers, repeat pax have a bit less interest etc.

There are very few entertainers/shows on ships that pull the crowds night after night year on year over time you need to refresh.

Repeating the hit formula when it is dependant on the key performers is extremely difficult.

NCL was only one Slam

Celebrity there is only one Perry

I guess put me in both camps....I love Howl but like to see new things too.

Howl definitely has an American tilt to it and many like my wife have no cultural references to why they sing SALT SALT SALT during Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville or why do they sing BUM BUM BUM during Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline.

Its just pure fun sing along but I can understand why many don't get it or enjoy it.

It is a piano sing along bar. So they will not play any song if it is not meant for a piano style sing along. Some don't get this either and want the latest One Direction song or Lady Gaga song. Not going to happen no matter how much you tip. Its also not a great place for kids since they usually don't know many of the songs.

But when I was on the Epic the first time, a simple $5 attached to the request had one piano player stop in his tracks, hold up the $5 and made him start my song immediately. I did not have to wait even one minute. So it has to do with the song as much as the tip.

My last Epic trip I was not able to go because it was so packed the crowd was outside the venue. They had some singles club on the ship for Valentines day and they dominated many venues.

But I have great memories of many sing alongs there :) Its a great place to hang out between shows, dinner, or just late night fun.

Edited by david_sobe

I guess put me in both camps....I love Howl but like to see new things too.

Howl definitely has an American tilt to it and many like my wife have no cultural references to why they sing SALT SALT SALT during Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville or why do they sing BUM BUM BUM during Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline.

Its just pure fun sing along but I can understand why many don't get it or enjoy it.

It is a piano sing along bar. So they will not play any song if it is not meant for a piano style sing along. Some don't get this either and want the latest One Direction song or Lady Gaga song. Not going to happen no matter how much you tip. Its also not a great place for kids since they usually don't know many of the songs.

But when I was on the Epic the first time, a simple $5 attached to the request had one piano player stop in his tracks, hold up the $5 and made him start my song immediately. I did not have to wait even one minute. So it has to do with the song as much as the tip.

My last Epic trip I was not able to go because it was so packed the crowd was outside the venue. They had some singles club on the ship for Valentines day and they dominated many venues.

But I have great memories of many sing alongs there :) Its a great place to hang out between shows, dinner, or just late night fun.

Hahaha. Just had to reply to this. On the Epic in January 2014, a few of us solo travelers went to Howl the first night and one girl requested a One Direction song ("That's What Makes You Beautiful"). Drew (and a girl who never spoke...) were the pianists, and he played her song. Not just once... but several times throughout the night. Sometimes, he would be playing some completely unrelated song and throw in the chorus of the One Direction song in the middle.

I'm no One Direction fan, but it was awesome. I might have developed a little crush on Drew that night. But mostly because of his friggin' fantastic performance of "Bohemian Rhapsody". And, okay, everything else he played, too. XD

The one request he WOULDN'T play was a Miley Cyrus song. He never named the specific song... though, truthfully, I suspected that such a request never actually happened. No one would really request Miley, right? haha

Oh, and so my post is on topic... I'm going to miss Howl, but hopefully, they will put something just as awesome in its place!

*crosses fingers*

Edited by dreamr

I was not impressed by Howl at the Moon on Getaway....... singing not so great, some of it a bit raunchy, prefer other things to do for fun. If NCL wants repeat business, their ships will need to offer different things. Why make the Escape just like the Getaway which is just like the Breakaway?

• 4 weeks later...
Twice, once on Epic and once on Getaway I requested a song along with $10.00. Both times my song was never played.....both times they kept my $10.00. I guess I didn't give them enough. Never again will I request a song.

Harriet

Pick a better song? lol Honestly though, a lot of times it depends on the song. Don't pick a song that they get requests for all the time. Also, don't request a slow/sappy song. It's supposed to be fun.

P.S. I went every night to HOWL it was open on my last cruise and had a 75% success rate. Just tipped a couple bucks each time.

• 3 weeks later...

I will probably stick with the Breakaway - I can't personally give up both fat cats and howl at the moon since I enjoy playing the piano with them.

Although I am interested in the after midnight, john huges and million dollar quartet shows, I will stay local before reading reviews of the new ship.

It is possible they will have music at the 5 0 clock somewhere bar and the district though

It is possible they will have music at the 5 0 clock somewhere bar and the district though

I agree that there must be at least something going on at the 5:00 somewhere bar besides just sitting and drinking because it seems like a pretty big space.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
Howl at the moon and the jazz club were our favorite evening entertainment on the Epic. Wish they would have it on the Escape!

Yeah, but I'm looking forward to the live music in the 5 O'Clock Somewhere Bar. Hopefully it will be a fun alternative hangout.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Howl at the Moon is our favourite thing on the Epic and Breakaway. We've had such a laugh in there and stayed up way later than we intended after popping in on the way to bed. It's like being round a friend's with a couple of great musicians who know 100s of tunes and having a great big singalong while people bring you drinks.

If you are lucky enough to get Drew De Four, he's really really good and a real showman. I would definitely think twice about Escape if they'd not had it. But it looks like they have so panic over!

Howl at the Moon is our favourite thing on the Epic and Breakaway. We've had such a laugh in there and stayed up way later than we intended after popping in on the way to bed. It's like being round a friend's with a couple of great musicians who know 100s of tunes and having a great big singalong while people bring you drinks.

If you are lucky enough to get Drew De Four, he's really really good and a real showman. I would definitely think twice about Escape if they'd not had it. But it looks like they have so panic over!

Oh my gosh. We had him on my last Epic cruise and he was amazing! I would LOVE to see him on the Escape!

I heard last night from a very reliable source that there will be no Howl at the Moon on the Escape. What a drag. That is the reason my wife and I love NCL. We know no matter what else we do at night when Howl is on we will end the evening with a great time. It might be time to rethink the new NCL ships. We have done 2 cruises on the Epic the TA and another cruise on the Getaway and we are leaving this weekend for our second cruise on the Breakaway. So I do not say this lightly.

Love, love Howl at the Moon and hate the Spiegel tent entertainment. Have done the tent on two different ships and did not like either but Howl was great on both!

Howl at the moon will be on the Norwegian escape

1440619505261.jpg.caca12923d1f30d1ad9a3447cd1379ac.jpg