Where Should We Stay in Miami?

Jetsgo

We're sailing out of Miami in April and wondering which area we should be staying in? We arrive into FLL at 4:30p, so I'm not expecting to be in Miami before 6:00p. Would it be worth the cost to stay downtown as opposed to the airport? How readily available are taxis at the bigger downtown hotels such as the Intercontinental (appears to have fantastic views of the Port)? In 2013 we flew into MIA and stayed at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon which worked out great with an additional cost shuttle to the port. I'd be willing to do it again, however staying downtown and waking up to a view of the Port has that certain allure to it. Thoughts?

Arriving that late into FLL I would stay near there - comparable hotels are cheaper near FLL than in Miami/Miami Beach and the transport will be much easier the next day.

http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info. Lots of chain hotels in the downtown/17th street area of FLL - what is your budget? When do you cruise? The $300+ Feb hotel often goes for under $100 in August. ;)

SAS (http://www.ridesas.com) QLS, Go Airport Shuttle, MJS and others will shuttle you to POM (about a 45 minute trip) for about $13-15+ per person each way.

What did you think of the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon? How much was the cost for them to shuttle you to the port? And Blue Herron, is this in the location you recommend to stay away from? We have our rooms booked in July for here.

I am doing the math today on whether or not it will be a better deal to just fly into MIA instead of FLL. It only is saving us $212 at this point. I can totally eliminate a rental car too and go with a dependable transport company I am thinking. I am glad I found your post, I want to know what others say :) You have me wanting to wake up to a room with a view now.

Arriving that late into FLL I would stay near there - comparable hotels are cheaper near FLL than in Miami/Miami Beach and the transport will be much easier the next day.

We sail on April 5. We stayed at the Embassy Suites on 17th in FLL back in 2011 when we sailed out of FLL and found it to be alright. We need to be in Miami though. I checked FLL prices and they are actually a bit higher than MIA, I would guess that's related to Spring Break.

I would stay downtown Miami.

Whatever you decide, please don't stay at the Miami airport. It is an abysmal area and not a great way to start your vaycay.

What are some reasons you would stay in downtown over the airport? Would they apply to someone arriving so late into MIA? We've stayed out at the airport before and it was just fine, so I will have to respectfully disagree that it's abysmal.

What did you think of the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon? How much was the cost for them to shuttle you to the port? And Blue Herron, is this in the location you recommend to stay away from? We have our rooms booked in July for here.

I am doing the math today on whether or not it will be a better deal to just fly into MIA instead of FLL. It only is saving us $212 at this point. I can totally eliminate a rental car too and go with a dependable transport company I am thinking. I am glad I found your post, I want to know what others say :) You have me wanting to wake up to a room with a view now.

Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon was fantastic. Everything you would expect from a quality Hampton. There was a great Cuban restaurant across the street in the Publix center which was a treat for us West Coasters where Cubans are borderline non-existent. The shuttle to the Port was contracted out through another company. It was $10/pp payable to the hotel at check-in in exchange for a voucher to be used the following morning. There were two departure times, both of which were a nonstop ride over to the Port.

I am doing the math today on whether or not it will be a better deal to just fly into MIA instead of FLL. It only is saving us $212 at this point. I can totally eliminate a rental car too and go with a dependable transport company I am thinking. I am glad I found your post, I want to know what others say :) You have me wanting to wake up to a room with a view now. Your view from the Blue Lagoon will be of the parking lot?

If you are flying into MIA later in the day and just want dinner and a room staying near the airport is fine, and there are several good hotels in the Blue Lagoon area. There is a local strip mall across the street from the Hampton Inn with grocery, drug, and liquor stores, plus fast food and dining options. A cab to POM will cost about $30 - better than the $10-12 per person shuttles if there are 3+ in your group.

What are some reasons you would stay in downtown over the airport? Would they apply to someone arriving so late into MIA? We've stayed out at the airport before and it was just fine, so I will have to respectfully disagree that it's abysmal.

Fine if you are flying into MIA and just want dinner and a room; not easy to get to if you are flying into FLL - very few shuttle companies will go, plus the transport will be more expensive than shuttles to POM the next day.

Getting from FLL to an MIA area hotel will take 45-60+ minutes and you will still be 15-20 minutes from the port. The last time I checked the few shuttles that would make the run charged about $35 per person for the trip. The Blue Lagoon area is okay, but there are some budget hotels near MIA that are not in an area that is as attractive.

Thanks so much Jetsgo!! :) I appreciate your help. Also, another question if you don't mind. Did you use their hotel shuttle to pick you up from the airport last year or did you have a cab or rental?

We used the Hampton shuttle to get from the airport to the hotel. Free of course and direct.

Getting from FLL to an MIA area hotel will take 45-60+ minutes and you will still be 15-20 minutes from the port. The last time I checked the few shuttles that would make the run charged about $35 per person for the trip. The Blue Lagoon area is okay, but there are some budget hotels near MIA that are not in an area that is as attractive.

We're planning to use Uber to get from FLL to wherever we stay in Miami, so I'm not too concerned about shuttles for that portion. Estimates range from $40-$55 total. I'm concerned about getting to the Port if we choose to stay in Downtown. How prevalent are taxis when you and 10k other people are trying to get into the port? No one seems to run a shuttle from the downtown hotels (that I can find), but plenty run from the airport hotels.

Edited by Jetsgo

Anywhere inland is going to be hot as hell in July. I would suggest staying on the beach if you can swing it. Even tho we aircondition the crap out of everything, you still need to walk outside.

\

Trust me, it's abysmal. High crime area, lots of strip clubs etc. Not a place you want to stay any longer than just overnight.

We're planning to use Uber to get from FLL to wherever we stay in Miami, so I'm not too concerned about shuttles for that portion. Estimates range from $40-$55 total. I'm concerned about getting to the Port if we choose to stay in Downtown. How prevalent are taxis when you and 10k other people are trying to get into the port? No one seems to run a shuttle from the downtown hotels (that I can find), but plenty run from the airport hotels.

Taxi from FLL to Miami will run $80+ and takes 40 to 45+ minutes - your UBER estimate sounds low to me. :confused: Are they authorized to pick up passengers at FLL?

Taxis are easy from any downtown hotel to POM - if there is not one waiting outside your hotel the front desk should be happy to call for one. Taxi fare from most downtown hotels to POM should run about $12+tip (slightly more from Mary Brickell area hotels). Good luck! :)

Edited by JohninDC

We're sailing out of Miami in April and wondering which area we should be staying in? We arrive into FLL at 4:30p, so I'm not expecting to be in Miami before 6:00p. Would it be worth the cost to stay downtown as opposed to the airport? How readily available are taxis at the bigger downtown hotels such as the Intercontinental (appears to have fantastic views of the Port)? In 2013 we flew into MIA and stayed at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon which worked out great with an additional cost shuttle to the port. I'd be willing to do it again, however staying downtown and waking up to a view of the Port has that certain allure to it. Thoughts?

We have stayed at the Intercontinental the last two years and there are always taxis out front and available. It is a great hotel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Taxi from FLL to Miami will run $80+ and takes 40 to 45+ minutes - your UBER estimate sounds low to me. :confused: Are they authorized to pick up passengers at FLL?

Taxis are easy from any downtown hotel to POM - if there is not one waiting outside your hotel the front desk should be happy to call for one. Taxi fare from most downtown hotels to POM should run about $12+tip (slightly more from Mary Brickell area hotels). Good luck! :)

That's the beauty of Uber! Some people say it's a tradeoff with an assumed risk, however I don't view it that way personally. Their website allows for the plotting of the trip, so I would assume they are authorized to pick up there. If not, I would assume it would be orchestrated similar to when we rode from IAH to Bayport Cruise Terminal last month in that they simply picked us up in the same loading and unloading zone your family would use. I should note, that trip was quite a bit longer and further than FLL to Downtown Miami and was only $60. As for the taxi's sitting at the downtown hotels, I'm thinking that should seal the deal. Thanks for the info.

We have stayed at the Intercontinental the last two years and there are always taxis out front and available. It is a great hotel.

Great to hear, everything I read online looks great. Did you go for a bay view room? If so, was it worth it? I can just see myself waking up and seeing all the ships, I'd be just like my kids were on Christmas morning. We usually stick to Hilton properties and as such this would be a bit of a "branch out" for us. Hilton Miami Downtown looks less than underwhelming, so I can't say I'd lose any sleep over it.

Edited by Jetsgo

When we sailed out of Miami we stayed at Holiday Inn Port of Miami - Downtown and I would definitely stay there again. It was reasonably priced, we could see the boat in the morning (exciting), was close to a CVS for last minute purchases, and across the street from an outdoor mall with lots of restaurant choices. Getting a cab from there in the morning was really easy, and cheap.