Hawaii Pride of America Luau Question

Fairway Cruiser

Does anyone know what goes on on the ship the overnight in Maui. It's hard for me to pay for an outside meal and entertainment after spending what I spent to have it all included. The dilemma is do we do a Luau on Oahu before boarding the ship or is it really worth it to do the Old Lahaina Luau? Thanks!

I had the same concern. We booked Germaine's luau in Oahu for the Friday night before the cruise. It gets mixed reviews, but we think it will be a fun time!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know what goes on on the ship the overnight in Maui.

It's hard for me to pay for an outside meal and entertainment after spending what I spent to have it all included.

The dilemma is do we do a Luau on Oahu before boarding the ship or is it really worth it to do the Old Lahaina Luau? Thanks!

We were on the Pride of America from Saturday, Jan.31st til disembarking February 7th.

On Day 2 Sunday,Feb.1st (overnight in Kahului, Maui), the main show on the ship was "Aloha Polynesia", in the Hollywood Theatre, Deck 5 Fwd.

This is not just a "Hula" show. It's music and dances of Tahiti, New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga and the islands of Hawaii.

Cameras are welcome. Shows at 7pm and 9pm.

I'd say don't miss this event! It's one of the highlights of the cruise (without paying for the poi).:)

Edited by $hip$hape

We were on the Pride of America from Saturday, Jan.31st til disembarking February 7th.

On Day 2 Sunday,Feb.1st (overnight in Kahului, Maui), the main show on the ship was "Aloha Polynesia", in the Hollywood Theatre, Deck 5 Fwd.

This is not just a "Hula" show. It's music and dances of Tahiti, New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga and the islands of Hawaii.

I'd say don't miss this event! It's one of the highlights of the cruise (without paying for the poi).:)

I'll make a note that this is a "must see". Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I was thinking the same thing. Why pay for another luau, is the ships polynesian dance show not sufficient? I have been to Smith's Luau in Kauai and loved it and the setting there. I would consider Old Lahaina as I think the luau on the beach would be nice, but I am struggling with the concept of paying for food and entertainment somewhere else when a similar event would be happening on the boat the same night. Only reason I think my husband would do it is if there was no way to get Kalua pig on the boat. Anyone know if it is served on the buffet or any restaurants during the cruise?

One great reason for NOT doing the luau when the ship in Kauai is that you will practically have the entire ship to yourself while everyone else is ashore at the luau. We loved that! :)

Also, the night of the Kauai luau they had an entire suckling pig they were serving in the buffet. At least they did a year (or so) ago when we went.

Edited by greatlakesgirl

• 3 weeks later...

On my first night in Oahu, I headed down to watch the free hula show on Kuhio Beach. This is a wonderful way to kick off your visit:

http://www.waikikiimprovement.com/waikiki-calendar-of-events/kuhio-beach-hula-show

I also attended Germaine's luau with a friend. It's in a beach area, though you first drive through an industrial park to get there. The show was fun; the food was just okay. If you purchase advance tickets, they will provide transportation from most of the hotels in the Waikiki area.

• 3 weeks later...

Old Lahaina Luau sounds great but what about transportation costs if have no rental car? and driving time if you do?

Thanks!

PS- I have heard that there is no fire dance at the Lahaina Luau... anyone know if this is correct?

I had won a free luau at Germaine's (on Oahu) via a Hawaii podcast. They provide transportation from many hotels. The show was really good -- lots of dance styles, costume changes, etc. The setting was pretty -- right on the edge of a beach (you can't actually see the ocean from the seating area, though). The food was just okay -- nothing fancy or gourmet. If you're more interested in the food than the show, then this is not the place for you.

If you're just interested in seeing some hula dancing and hearing traditional/local music, there is a nightly Torch Lighting and Hula Ceremony on Kuhio Beach in Waikiki. It's free and there is a grassy area to sit in (get there early). It's usually around sunset; look it up if you're interested. I did this my first night in Oahu and it was a great way to kick off my Hawaii vacation/cruise!

Hey, a familiar face. Hello Cathy (OhJinkies), hard to believe it’s been over a year already since our POA cruise. What a great cruise!

Original poster:

We also pondered this as well.. we had heard so many good things about the Old Lahaina Luau (OLL) and really wanted to do the one but as others have said, it’s a bit of a drive from where POA docks. From what I had read it’s expensive for a cab (tip: try to find someone to split with?) and about 45min drive. We did have a car but with the free MaiTai’s I chose not to drive. So maybe next time we’ll do this one.

We did do the Smiths Family Luau with Robert’s transportation in Kauai. We combined this with the Fern Grotto boat ride. We enjoyed the luau and felt this met our expectations. There were hundreds of people here as stated but they have this down to a science and we thought things went smooth. Food was good and plentiful. They do not have the beach background of OLL but have gardens that you can tour etc. They explained the traditions and encouraged people to join the Emu ceremony. Again as stated, seating is like covered bleachers. When we were there they had installed cushions to make life easier. I did not hear from anyone that went on the NCL excursion while we were there so do not know how it was. I did a lot of comparisons using trip-advisor prior to our visit. If you have not already done so it might be worth looking at.

After our cruise we stayed in Oahu for a week. While here we also went to the Luau as the Polynesian cultural center. The shows were very different with the cultural center being more like a production. That said, we enjoyed both

Bottom line is that you are on vacation, have fun and enjoy!