Different ages/health coverage

law1956

My brother (66) and I (58) live in different states and are planning on a trip combining some time in France and Italy before taking a TA from Rome next fall. We've been trying to figure our travel insurance options -when you fill out the quote info they want to know what state you are from so not sure what to put. He also will need more medical coverage since he is retired and on Medicare and VA which won't cover out of US claims while I work and have medical insurance coverage. I'm guessing we need separate policies since our circumstances vary. Any suggestions of how much medical insurance is prudent to get given no big health problems-he's talking 500K which I can't even find offered anywhere!-and seems a bit extreme. I've been looking at Insuremytrip and Squaremouth- any thoughts?

Thanks

Have you checked to make sure your medical insurance covers you outside of the US (mine does not)?

I think it would be much smarter for each of you to get your own insurance. Before my world voyage I called a number of travel insurance companies to see if I could customize my medical coverage. Of the ones I called, only TravelGuard would do so. Even with the extra coverage they came in cheaper than what the cruise line wanted to charge me. Have your brother give them a call and see what the costs would be for different amounts of medical insurance. (I am old enough that I still like talking to a real person!:D)

You should get two separate policies, the cost difference is only about $8 to issue separate policies. Ask your brother if he wants the $500,000 strictly for medical treatment or to include emergency transportation? Take a look at TravelEx policies; Squaremouth is good, so is tripinsurance store. Insuremytrip is also fine, but has too many options to sort through unless you already know which family of policies you want to look at.

• 2 weeks later...