Live (better late than never!) From the Star Princess (Hawaii)

Weluv2cruise2007

So, what exactly was your negative experience with SF Cruise Port and the porters?

My personal experience was they demanded tips while we were in the pouring rain. When we ran under cover, the porter said thanks for the tip. We did tip him $10 after WE GOT UNDERCOVER BUT HE did not have be be snarky about it. Then when we heard about luggage going into the water(not a accident) that was just crazy. We also saw many porters simply standing around and not working at all from our balcony. I am usually in favor of unions, but this was 100% NOT called for. Every passenger I spoke to complained, Not just me. Porters ARE NOT suppose to ask for tips and when they don't get them, be snarky and mean. Believe me SF will get many letters about this.

My personal experience was they demanded tips while we were in the pouring rain. When we ran under cover, the porter said thanks for the tip. We did tip him $10 after WE GOT UNDERCOVER BUT HE did not have be be snarky about it. Then when we heard about luggage going into the water(not a accident) that was just crazy. We also saw many porters simply standing around and not working at all from our balcony. I am usually in favor of unions, but this was 100% NOT called for. Every passenger I spoke to complained, Not just me. Porters ARE NOT suppose to ask for tips and when they don't get them, be snarky and mean. Believe me SF will get many letters about this.

Sounds like it was quite an unpleasant experience to begin your cruise.:mad:

So, when your porter demanded a tip, did he say anything negative or threatening about what would happen to your luggage if you didn't tip him? :eek:

And, when he thanked you for tipping him, did he thank you sarcastically and "snarky" attitude because you only tipped him $10? May I ask, for how many pieces of luggage?

You heard, but did you, or any PAX you spoke with onboard actually SEE a pallet of luggage fall into the bay? :eek: Or any PAX you spoke to onboard confirm that actually happened?

BTW: since you will be on the Star again tomorrow, can't you just leave your luggage in your same cabin?

Thanks for sharing your negative experience.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Can you tell me how long he

will be on the Star.

In the past the porters have been fine.

Now their terrible. Hope the city does

something about it.

If the ships stop docking there..the

city and the porters will lose money!

Hello again! I'll try and address a few more questions.

Porters - don't be "afraid" - just be aware. They were fleecing people for tips...if you know what the deal is, you won't be "had". The rain also gave them a distinct advantage as people just wanted to get out of the rain. Also, you have the option of dropping your suitcases yourself. As you are facing the ship, you would go all the way to the left to the end and drop them where the porters are leaving them for the crew. As for the pallet in the water, I heard, with my own ears, the gentleman they have on board who gives some of the scholarship at sea lectures talking to a family about it. I also spoke to a couple who received their luggage completely soaked through - not just rain wet, soaked to the point where Princess laundered all of their clothes for them, so I don't think it's a rumour.

Weather: I thought this vacation would be warmer as I'm used to the Caribbean. It was very comfortable in Hawaii, but much cooler while at sea. I thought the people lying out or using the pool were crazy - and I'm from Canada! I saw people yesterday during the day watching a movie wearing pants and a jacket and using a blanket, so I doubt loungers will be hard to come by.

Maitre D - I don't even know who he is so perhaps that's not a good sign. We got to know a few headwaiters, mostly because our toddler attracts a lot of attention. I didn't however get to know their names.

I spoke to David Cole and Lokelina yesterday. Lokelina and Kimo will be on the Star for each Hawaiin voyage this winter - that is a great thing. I highly recommend trying the Hula or Ukulele - no talent or coordination required!! Trust me...I am NOT very coordinated and I managed the Hula! There will always be someone better or worse! Lol! It was a lot of fun and many laughs! Although David will be leaving the Star in a few weeks, the Ukulele will continue with Kimo, they just probably will not be able to accept as many players given there will only be one instructor. Take advantage of all this unique itinerary has to offer!

Can you tell me how long he

will be on the Star.

In the past the porters have been fine.

Now their terrible. Hope the city does

something about it.

If the ships stop docking there..the

city and the porters will lose money!

The info I have from Princess (thanks, Louise) is that David Cole will leave the Star on Jan. 28.

Howard

One of our Jan 3 Roll Call members works for the SF Dept of Public Works:

I made some calls this morning and here is the response I got from an SF Port Official:

Many thanks for your info below. These comments that you have sent to us are apparent to us as well as we have received numerous complaints about their actions. Our team has formed an action plan to further address the negative comments and actions that these porters have shown to cruise line guests. In no manner do we condone nor allow this extortion for a service provided to guests of any cruise line, especially our largest client Princess Cruise Lines. As you are aware there is no new contract for the Union, but that does not allow them to act in any manner less than professional. Myself and Senior Management will be monitoring the porter operations tomorrow in front of the building to make sure the new embarking guests as well as debarking guests are shown the courtesy they deserve and should have received. Once again thanks for reaching out to us, and letting us know more about comments from other guests. All the best and Happy New Years."

I don't foresee any problems with us tomorrow.

Thanks for the info - I'm looking forward to CD David Cole's program. Can you post the name of the book about Queen Liliuokalani, please.

Thanks.

Howard

The book is The Betrayal of Queen Liliuokalani, Last Queen of Hawaii 1838-1917; author Helena G. Allen. It is available on Amazon; I was able to borrow it from the library. Happy cruising!

The book is The Betrayal of Queen Liliuokalani, Last Queen of Hawaii 1838-1917; author Helena G. Allen. It is available on Amazon; I was able to borrow it from the library. Happy cruising!

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Howard

Thank you Weluvtocruise 2007 for this review lots of excellent information.

We leave London for San Fran next Friday 9th and are on the Star 13th January to Hawaii.

I am sure that The Port Authority and Princess will sort out the problems, but thanks for the info of what to do when arriving at the Pier.

It will be our third time on the Star so looking forward to seeing it again. :)

One of our Jan 3 Roll Call members works for the SF Dept of Public Works:

I made some calls this morning and here is the response I got from an SF Port Official:

Many thanks for your info below. These comments that you have sent to us are apparent to us as well as we have received numerous complaints about their actions. Our team has formed an action plan to further address the negative comments and actions that these porters have shown to cruise line guests. In no manner do we condone nor allow this extortion for a service provided to guests of any cruise line, especially our largest client Princess Cruise Lines. As you are aware there is no new contract for the Union, but that does not allow them to act in any manner less than professional. Myself and Senior Management will be monitoring the porter operations tomorrow in front of the building to make sure the new embarking guests as well as debarking guests are shown the courtesy they deserve and should have received. Once again thanks for reaching out to us, and letting us know more about comments from other guests. All the best and Happy New Years."

I don't foresee any problems with us tomorrow.

Shame on those Union Workers. I was a member of CWA for 31 years. As a union member, I always took pride in my work, even when we worked without a contract. When one union member is bad, it makes us all look bad. We were told, "A full day's work for a full day's pay.". Such a shame that so many people don't have a work ethic any more. :(

We're leaving out of SF in March, so glad to read that the City is going to monitor this situation.

My husband and I were on this wonderful cruise. For us, the only bad part was having to disembark.

We were lucky to have had a great porter who got our luggage out of our car in the rain. I did tip him but he did not even elicit a tip in any way. He was super polite and courteous despite the rain.