VT Cabins on Observation Deck Eurodam

annaproblemma

I posted this on another thread, but it was really an old thread, so I am starting a new one here, so sorry for repeating a question that has been answered before, but maybe more people have experienced these cabins since then and will have some new input.

My DH and I are going on Eurodam in Feb and we are really considering these rooms. We like the thought of being high and more private, we don't suffer from seasickness at all, we like being rocked to sleep at night. My concern though is the size. The picture looks like it is really small. My husband is a good size guy and we don't want to be crawling all over each other for a week. We also have the opportunity to have a signature suite with full balcony for just $200 more. But we do have a retreat cabana reserved and I really like the idea of being close to the retreat. I don't mind the smaller balcony, we don't normally sit out on our balcony anyway, just go out for pictures and a breath of fresh air. Everytime we have got a balcony in the past, my DH says it is wasted as we don't really use it that much, but we do like the fresh air access every now and then. But am I silly for passing up a suite for just $200 more? 170 sq ft vs 260? But we do like our privacy and we like the thought of being by the Explorer Club..... we are bookish and quiet..... Also, is it noisy being close to the Crow's nest, what especially about "happy hour". I am more noise sensitive than anything else. And any foot traffic going into the Crows nest and explorer lounge?

Anyone else have any input? I would appreciate anyones thoughts and experiences to help me decide. Again, I don't mind the small balcony, and actually being up high is appealing to me. Size and noise are a more immediate issue to me. And we do have a cabana, I like being close to that. I'm thinking the small size of the room could be offset by being able to use the explorer lounge kind of like extended living room space, and the cabana as extended balcony space. What do you all think?

There is room on those balconies for two people to stand side by side at the same time. There is probably room for one to pass by the other to go back inside, depending on the size of the one closer to the door.

The balconies are totally open to the breeze (wind) as the ship sails, and to the people standing on the next balcony.

The cabins are accessed via a separate passageway from the one that heads to the Crow's Nest/Explorations Café, so noise should not be a problem. There is no loud activity in the Crow's Nest at night that could disturb you. Daytime may have some noise when such things as Trivia are held, but I don't know that it does.

We loved our cabin! Very quiet.......loved that the Crow's Nest was right there! Felt like we had our own living room. Enjoyed grabbing a coffee in the morning at the Exploration Cafe'.

Like you, we don't use the balcony much other than in and out of port and taking photos. Loved stepping out the "back door" as we could go from side to side to take pictures.

Also, enjoyed that we just walked one floor down to access the spa and Lido.

The cabin is the same size as all the other Verandas. Only the balcony is smaller.

My vote............YES

thank you so much for your speedy answers. It helps so much getting input. We have proved to ourselves in the past that we don't sit on the balcony much, maybe 10 minutes tops at a time. And thank you for answering about the breeze while moving, now that does sound appealing! To stand there just for our token 5-10 minutes sounds lovely, and having such an incredible view. I would be thinking since you can't sit out there, most people on that deck would do the same as us, just a quick momentary enjoyment of the outdoors, so they wouldn't be out there much either, so dividers wouldn't matter too much.

No one answered my primary question. Are these really as small as they look?

Thanks, Ann

Ann,

Obviously not as large as you would have in a Signature Suite!

However, same as the VA......VB and VC's (all Veranda's) we have stayed in

with the exception of one of the VA's.....aft....which was same width but a few feet longer. We were on deck 7 of NA and had a huge balcony.

We have sailed VT.......Baltic.....Eurodam and VQ twice on NA which is the same location as the Eurodam but with a "real" balcony.

Sherry

Thank you everyone for your input. These boards are so helpful in making decisions. Gosh, I love the internet. We have decided to go with the VT. Our bottom line came down that we really are kind of hermits, and we wanted to be up in our own little aerie. May be a mistake..... I will see just what the 170 sq ft vs the 260 sq feet will mean. My sisters are actually going on the cruise with their husbands and will have their own cabins. They will be in the OV rooms in 10002 and 10001. Their rooms are apparently 260 sq feet, just like the suite, and their rooms are just down just one deck. We could have had 10004 right next to them, so that was another option too! But we decided against that for 2 reasons. Actually as much fun as it could have been being right next to them, and as much as we love them, truly, it may be nice to have a little space from them too, there will be plenty of time together with them, , and this is ;)our:rolleyes: special time together too. My sisters seem to drift into our room often when we are traveling together. My husband sometimes takes exception to this. And, also my husband said he would be claustophobic not at least being able to open a door for fresh air every now and then. No one needs to caution - we do know not to keep the door propped open so as not to mess with everyone else's HVAC. We won't do that!

But, then I think well, we could have the space and the open door in the suite! But that is 5 decks down, and down a long, long hallway, .... that just feels too far away from the cabana.... also I don't think I would have liked the more busy area and just a long row and hallway of suites.... I think I would like the quietness and the privacy of the VT, and hopefully may fit us just fine.... just wish it was a bit bigger, but then I couldn't afford it, right? Then it would be truly "sky high" :eek::eek:in price and station! We may end up wishing we had more room after visiting my sisters in their much larger rooms. They said the space was more important to them, anyway, and their husbands don't mind the flitting back and forth between cabins as my husband does... but I will be able to visit my sisters in their rooms and just see how much that space does give...

Oh well, we will have a fantastic time no matter what even if I will have the temptation to kick myself the whole time. If so, I will just banish my DH to the explorer lounge and keep the cabin to myself. :p:pHA! But, thanks for you patience and allowing me to muse out loud. Tough decision sometimes. That is why your input has been so helpful. Thanks again for everyone's help.

So, I will report when I get back our final real impressions after spending a week in this cabin to whether right decision or not so future cruisers at least can have one more person's subjective opinion.

Thanks again everyone and happy cruising to everyone's future!

Op, I can tell you that if you have a cabin close to the cabana it's REALLY nice. I had that on my November 2012 cruise and it was nice to be able to pop back into my room in case I wanted something. I think you'll enjoy your cabin. Completely understand that it's nice to have some distance between family and yourself.