Goff's Caye or Caye Caulker better for snorkeling?

chamima

How was the beach at Goff's Caye? Are there any chairs or umbrellas?

No chairs or umbrellas. They do have a couple picnic tables though for eating lunch. It's a pretty small island and beautiful. 451821cbc61c3f0a1a1960e25b8645c2.jpg17bf8e4fe12469b949d8ffab85ed50e7.jpgb451813a8495a21592a5723203379bbb.jpg96d03d81e607f72571a848335a1383c5.jpg4bbc3879e226dafb68d2db50c00286ce.jpg2aab841a1cb7b3092b528d446d1d762e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

Great information! Going to Belize next September 2016, and was leaning much towards Goff's Caye. We will be sure to stay tuned.

By the way, has anyone on this thread been to West Bay in Roatan to give us a comparison to Goff's Caye? TIA

I think West Bay is what the locals call Tabyanna Beach in Roatan. We have been there 3 times and Goff Caye once. We like West Bay better than Goff Caye...much larger. A great deal to go to West Bay is booking through Bodden Tours in Roatan. Great price for Fun in the Sun Tour and you go see all the monkeys and animals on the way to the beach. We have booked with them for the second time for our next cruise in January.

Great information! Going to Belize next September 2016, and was leaning much towards Goff's Caye. We will be sure to stay tuned.

By the way, has anyone on this thread been to West Bay in Roatan to give us a comparison to Goff's Caye? TIA

Two very different experiences really. GC is a spit or small island off the coast of Belize. We loved our 1/2 day on GC, gorgeous beach and great snorkeling. One of the few spots we have pictures of hanging in our house! We also enjoyed taking a water taxi to Caye Caulker from Belize City on another visit and had fun at the Lazy Lizard. Belize is gorgeous.

WB on the other hand is a very crowded beach on Roatan and home to several hotels and resorts (like Tabyana Beach Resort) and is the main beach that day visitors head for. So if you want the typical beach experience with your fellow cruisers WB is one of the spots.

We hire a private guide and tour the quieter areas of Roatan and have her later drop us in West End which is a funkier, more laid back bay with many dive shops, stores, and restaurants. Great spot to walk and then take a water taxi to WB for a lunch at the Thirsty Turtle Beach Bar at Bananarama before heading back to port. Our driver takes care of our every need and meets us In WB to wait until we're ready to head back. Very personal experience and so inexpensive. If you want to escape the crowds on Roatan the smaller, private guide outfit is the way to go. You can tour the East End and spend some time at a gorgeous and quiet beach rather than take the cookie-cutter tour. Or head for the more popular spots, your choice! ;)

Edited by blue_water

Yes. We're not big on snorkeling but our friends loved it!

That's what I was wondering, I have been to Tabyana twice, and the snorkeling was the best I have ever experienced. I'm thinking GC will not be as good, but, I like the snorkel from the shore method. As long as I see some sea life, I'll be satisfied.

I will be sailing next September, and Roatan will be our port stop before Belize, so I will get my snorkeling fix at both ports. lol

Thanks all for your insights, they are so helpful in making my decision.

I would love to do a land vacation in Belize one day and do a proper snorkeling trip, without the angst of the cruise ship leaving me stranded due to a problem beyond my control! : - O

That's what I was wondering, I have been to Tabyana twice, and the snorkeling was the best I have ever experienced. I'm thinking GC will not be as good, but, I like the snorkel from the shore method. As long as I see some sea life, I'll be satisfied.

I will be sailing next September, and Roatan will be our port stop before Belize, so I will get my snorkeling fix at both ports. lol

Thanks all for your insights, they are so helpful in making my decision.

I would love to do a land vacation in Belize one day and do a proper snorkeling trip, without the angst of the cruise ship leaving me stranded due to a problem beyond my control! : - O

Yes GC snoprkeling is nice and easy right from the shore. It's rocky at the entry because it's on the reef...

Belize would be an excellent destination for a land vacation. We debated building a home in Belize, Costa Rico, and Mexico and finally decided on Mexico because we love it there and it's a little more accessible for friends to visit. But we're very lucky to be able to have these choices! We'll be able to drive to Belize from Mexico so we can still visit easily.

But yes we took several cruises to see different places (still do occasionally) and then visited our favorite spots on land vacations to enjoy them better and longer and we highly recommend that!

Yes, you are lucky! I am land locked in Georgia. But, at least I can cruise every now and then.

Maybe I can win the lottery one day if I ever start playing, lol

Thanks for the info. GC is sounding much better for me. I do love to snorkel! ♡

• 1 month later...

Slash Wave

We had originally booked Goff Island and when we arrived the "manager" talked us I no Hol Chan. She said it was the best snorkel and not crowded. We paid more money than originally told and was loaded on a boat with all others waiting. Before stepping into boat I once again said this is going to Hol Chan and she said yes and told the captain these 4 are the ones. When we arrived at Cay Caulker we inquired about Hol Can and were told we were not going. We were got back to Belize City we saw the 'manager" and told her we were not happy . She said we paid for Cay Caulker. We told her paid what she told us to pay and she knew we wanted to go to Hol Chan. What we believe happen is she only had the 4 of us to go to Goff so she talked us into Hol Chan and then the others that were suppose to go didn't show up she put us on the boat to Cay Caulker.

Edited by tammyae29